Scarborough WA 8/9 to 15/9

Albert 50

Apr 18, 2006
I'm bringing my road bike over & will have plenty of time to do plenty of ks. I've never been to WA so I don't know what to expect traffic & road conditions wise.
I'm not particularly looking for group rides although I sussed out the possibility of having a race but I've canned that idea. I never ride on cycle paths at home because they are full on shared paths around lakes & the like. I get the impression that WA is cycle friendly :)
This link http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hills-of-the-Western-Suburbs was in a previous thread & might be OK as it appears to have a hill or two.
One or two days I'd like to do maybe 100/130, so I don't know were that would take me but any thoughts welcome.

Hey George isn't Basso near Scarborough?

The beach path south of Scarboro' heading towards Fremantle is OK then ride through Cottesloe to Fremantle & beyond. The beach path north of Scarboro is only really for recreational riders & unfortunately the road to Sorrento now has lots of traffic calming central reservations so drivers get a bit impatient to say the least. Head out Waneroo way then onto Bullsbrook & Chittering Valley if you want a long ride inland. Not really in your area but the Kwinana freeway south of Perth has a 50km stretch of often deserted cyclepath when the railway finally opens you'll be able to ride to the end then get the train back.
The loop around the Swan River through Perth & Fremantle on the weekend is a tame Perth version Melbourne's Beach Ride .
Perth drivers as Australians go are pretty normal just expect plenty of road rage .

it all depends on what sort of riding u are wanting to do, if u are just wanting to casually ride it, the paths mentioned prev are fine, as they do get a little congested but are fine for a casual ride. If you are wanting to step it up and put in some quality kms. if u head north towards hillarys along the coast then just keep goin north, there is a decent bike lane on the main road that lets u put in some good quality kms at a decent pace. This is the route that my team use frequently for some good TTT practice km's

Thanks :) 'a decent bike lane on the main road' sounds like a good start.
'Head out Waneroo way then onto Bullsbrook & Chittering Valley' also looks interesting on the map as I don't mind hitting the boon docks.
I guess if I've ridden a fair stretch one day a casual site seeing ride along some paths the next would be fine.

I had some good rides & I've just had a [poor] attempt at Bikely. Monday I turned around a few ks short of Rockingham for a 100 k round trip. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Scarborough-to-Rockingham Tuesday was to Bullsbrook & back to Scarbro for 108ks. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Perth-Scarborough-To-Bullsbrook-Return The weather wasn't kind from Wednesday on, with Fridays ride to Hillarys in bucketing rain with winds so strong I was in fear of being blown :eek: over.
I didn't mind some of the shared paths south of Scarbro particularly before the after work walkers started. :)