Scarborough-Whitby

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam Salt, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
    Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
    bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?

    Sam Salt

    ---

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
    > Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
    > bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
    >
    > Sam Salt

    I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places, but
    fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern few
    miles is like.

    Cheers,

    James

  3. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
    > Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and
    found
    > it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring bikes or is it just a muddy
    rut
    > as these things sometimes seem to be ?

    It's always been OK, but is being upgraded as part of NCN route 1. On a sturdy touring bike you
    should be fine, apart from any sections where work is being done (you can check that on the sustrans
    site, www.sustrans.org.uk )

    Simon

  4. In message <[email protected]>, James Bentall
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, "Sam Salt"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
    >> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
    >> bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
    >>
    >> Sam Salt
    >>

    >I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places,
    >but fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern few
    >miles is like.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >James

    Its a couple of years since I used it, but generally its fine. A 23mm tyred racer might struggle,
    but a touring bike will be OK. I thought the best bits where the northern approaches to Whitby
    (narrow & almost "singletrack" quality). The southern 5-8 miles are a bit boring, away from the
    coast and in cuttings.

    --
    Steve

  5. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Steven Briggs wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, James Bentall
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >> In article <[email protected]>, "Sam Salt"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
    >>> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
    >>> bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
    >>>
    >>> Sam Salt
    >>>

    >> I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places,
    >> but fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern
    >> few miles is like.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> James
    >
    > Its a couple of years since I used it, but generally its fine. A 23mm tyred racer might struggle,
    > but a touring bike will be OK. I thought the best bits where the northern approaches to Whitby
    > (narrow & almost "singletrack" quality). The southern 5-8 miles are a bit boring, away from the
    > coast and in cuttings.

    Thanks for your help chaps.

    Sam Salt

    ---