Scarborough-Whitby

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Salt

Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?

Sam Salt

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.572 / Virus Database: 362 - Release Date: 27/01/2004

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
> bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
>
> Sam Salt
>

I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places, but
fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern few
miles is like.

Cheers,

James

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and
found
> it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring bikes or is it just a muddy
rut
> as these things sometimes seem to be ?

It's always been OK, but is being upgraded as part of NCN route 1. On a sturdy touring bike you
should be fine, apart from any sections where work is being done (you can check that on the sustrans
site, www.sustrans.org.uk )

Simon

In message <[email protected]>, James Bentall
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, "Sam Salt"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
>> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
>> bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
>>
>> Sam Salt
>>
>
>I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places,
>but fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern few
>miles is like.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James

Its a couple of years since I used it, but generally its fine. A 23mm tyred racer might struggle,
but a touring bike will be OK. I thought the best bits where the northern approaches to Whitby
(narrow & almost "singletrack" quality). The southern 5-8 miles are a bit boring, away from the
coast and in cuttings.

--
Steve

Steven Briggs wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, James Bentall
> <[email protected]> writes
>> In article <[email protected]>, "Sam Salt"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone ridden the cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby along the disused railway track ?
>>> Noticed it mentioned on a couple of sites and found it on the OS map.Is it suitable for touring
>>> bikes or is it just a muddy rut as these things sometimes seem to be ?
>>>
>>> Sam Salt
>>>
>>
>> I did it last April on a Dawes Discovery Hybrid without too many problems - was muddy in places,
>> but fairly firm underneath. Admittedly started at Robin Hood's Bay so no idea what the Northern
>> few miles is like.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> James
>
> Its a couple of years since I used it, but generally its fine. A 23mm tyred racer might struggle,
> but a touring bike will be OK. I thought the best bits where the northern approaches to Whitby
> (narrow & almost "singletrack" quality). The southern 5-8 miles are a bit boring, away from the
> coast and in cuttings.

Thanks for your help chaps.

Sam Salt

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.572 / Virus Database: 362 - Release Date: 27/01/2004

Status
Not open for further replies.