scarpa manta m4

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rob, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    any thoughts opinions
    i have seen them for£130
    which seems good value

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, rob
    <[email protected]> writes
    >any thoughts opinions
    >i have seen them for£130
    >which seems good value

    I have a pair but only use them if I'm going to be using crampons. They
    are too stiff and heavy (1050g each size 10) for general use.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  3. Roy

    Roy Guest

    "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > any thoughts opinions
    > i have seen them for£130
    > which seems good value

    Superb winter boots. If you can find the older style (just replaced with a
    new model with a softer cuff) you may find them for just over £100.

    Roy.

  4. John Dawson

    John Dawson Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:36:30 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >any thoughts opinions
    >i have seen them for£130
    >which seems good value

    I got mine in April 1999, for UKP 120, and my Brashers and Zamberlans
    have been left in a cupboard ever since. They fit me superbly, though
    this may not be true for you - it depends on the shape of your feet,
    and are the only boots never to have given me a blister. They were
    made of ordinary brown leather back then and I can't say what the
    newer materials are like to wear or how well they last, but mine look
    almost like new. They are heavier than my other boots, and I'm a
    slight 116 - 122 lbs, but they are worth it.

    John D.
    --
    John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
    Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    rob wrote:
    > any thoughts opinions
    > i have seen them for£130
    > which seems good value

    What exactly do you want them for, and how is the fit compared to other
    boots of similar specification from competing brands?

    The answers to these questions can make them either a clear bargain or a
    complete waste of money!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. In message <[email protected]>, Dominic Sexton
    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, rob
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>any thoughts opinions
    >>i have seen them for£130
    >>which seems good value

    >I have a pair but only use them if I'm going to be using crampons. They
    >are too stiff and heavy (1050g each size 10) for general use.

    I am on my third pair in fifteen years (I may be wrong before someone
    says that they were only introduced fourteen years ago or whatever) and
    I love them - I use cheaper Contour boots in the summer (aren't they
    also Scarpa boots in disguise?)

    --
    Martin Richardson
    272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Mark
    Anderson <[email protected]> writes
    >Dominic Sexton wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> any thoughts opinions
    >>> i have seen them for£130
    >>> which seems good value

    >> I have a pair but only use them if I'm going to be using crampons. They
    >> are too stiff and heavy (1050g each size 10) for general use.
    >>

    >I have a pair of these and happily use them all year round from
    >hillwalking - ice-climbing. £130 certainly isn't cheap for them though.
    >I've never had a problem with mine and they have been very comfy but
    >everyone's feet are different!

    Mine are very comfy but they really are heavier and stiffer than I like
    for general use.

    I got them about a year ago after my Koflachs disintegrated. I seem to
    remember the design changed a couple of years ago and I'm not sure if
    the older design was as heavy or stiff.

    When I want boots but not that stiff / heavy I have an old pair of
    Scarpa SLs (950g each - soggy from today's dog walk) or a newer pair of
    KSB 300s (850g each). When I don't fancy boots it is Tevas at 340g each
    :)

    >thought they were 1kg per pair rather than each, though.

    I weighed one on my postage scales before I wrote that. I hadn't
    realised they were quite that heavy either.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Martin Richardson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, Dominic Sexton
    ><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> writes
    >>In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>>any thoughts opinions
    >>>i have seen them for£130
    >>>which seems good value

    >>I have a pair but only use them if I'm going to be using crampons.
    >>They are too stiff and heavy (1050g each size 10) for general use.
    >>

    >I am on my third pair in fifteen years (I may be wrong before someone
    >says that they were only introduced fourteen years ago or whatever) and
    >I love them

    As I said in my other post I think the design has changed recently (two
    years ago?) and I'm not sure how the current design compares to the
    previous one.

    I just did a quick search and found that the model I have is supposedly
    lighter(!) and stiffer than the old. I also see there is now an even
    newer Tech model.

    > - I use cheaper Contour boots in the summer (aren't they also Scarpa
    >boots in disguise?)

    I have not seen / heard of them but don't tend to buy boots very often.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  10. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:50:59 +0000, Dominic Sexton
    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Martin Richardson
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>In message <[email protected]>, Dominic Sexton
    >><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> writes
    >>>In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >>><[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>>I have a pair but only use them if I'm going to be using crampons.
    >>>They are too stiff and heavy (1050g each size 10) for general use.
    >>>

    >>I am on my third pair in fifteen years (I may be wrong before someone
    >>says that they were only introduced fourteen years ago or whatever) and
    >>I love them

    >As I said in my other post I think the design has changed recently (two
    >years ago?) and I'm not sure how the current design compares to the
    >previous one.
    >
    >I just did a quick search and found that the model I have is supposedly
    >lighter(!) and stiffer than the old. I also see there is now an even
    >newer Tech model.

    They stiffened up c.2001 I bought a pair then, and they were fine at
    P.D in the Alps. Only wear them in winter here.

    My first pair, a pure walking boot in grey leather 1987.

    Richard Webb

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Webb wrote:

    > My first pair, a pure walking boot in grey leather 1987.

    I bought the Fitzroys, the next model up, at the same time. And though
    I chose the Fitzies because I planned going winter climbing, my climbing
    partner on my first ever III was wearing Mantas and "proper" crampons,
    so you could do more than just walking in them (still using those
    Fitzies...).

    Pete.