Scary Lightness!! easton ultralite 7005 AL frame SHOULD i build this or sell?

veganheart

Jan 30, 2004
I recently bought a Frame from ebay that is so light, at 2.14 pounds, I am afraid it will break. The frame builder is Morgul-Bismark and the material used is Easton Ultralite 7005 Aluminum.

I paid $250 US so if I had to sell it I think I could get at least what I paid.

Please help restore my confidence that this frame is not going to "break" in the next 5 years etc in the bb etcetera.

Are these light frames built for a short lifespan?

Any advice is appreciated

:) :) :) :)

Originally posted by veganheart
I recently bought a Frame from ebay that is so light, at 2.14 pounds, I am afraid it will break. The frame builder is Morgul-Bismark and the material used is Easton Ultralite 7005 Aluminum.

Please help restore my confidence that this frame is not going to "break" in the next 5 years etc in the bb etcetera.

Depends on your weight and frame size.Many ultralights have limiits and it gets more critical on larger frames. Compared to what a quality frame can cost, even if you only get a few years out of it, it's a deal.

I recently bought a Frame from ebay that is so light, at 2.14 pounds, I am afraid it will break.

Consider the frame I am riding presently (Bianchi EV4) weighs even less than yours (only 1.8 lbs.) and carries a 5 year warranty.

What will determine the longevity of your frame is likely the design/construction competence of the builder.

I am 195 pounds and 6 and 3/4 inches tall. the frame is on the small size at 54.5 c-t. I am not using it with road bars. More of a hybrid style so the fit seems fine. In all honesty, the welds are not that great. They look strong but they are not refined or "sculptured" etc.

Originally posted by Ted B
Consider the frame I am riding presently (Bianchi EV4) weighs even less than yours (only 1.8 lbs.)............

gimmie a break.

Originally posted by boudreaux
gimmie a break.

Ok, here's your 'break'...

"The 1.8 lb EV4 is one of the most technologically advanced framesets in the world. Made of new XL Evolution EV4 triple butted, foam reinforced hyperalloy (a Bianchi designed and improved version of U2), the frame has a tensile strength 25% greater than the best 7000 series tubes now in use. Bianchi designed the tubes to maximize the weight advantage while still incorporating wide margins for rigidity and durability. Tube wall thickness varies from 0.6mm to 1.15mm."

...etc., et al.

But wait a minute...now I see the Bianchi catalog advertises the frame as weighing 1120g for 55cm (mine is a 53cm), which equates to 2.47lbs. so that is confusing.

Ah well, the finished bike weighs only 15.6 lbs., so I suppose it's all relatively academic.

I am 195 pounds and 6 and 3/4 inches tall. the frame is on the small size at 54.5 c-t. I am not using it with road bars. More of a hybrid style so the fit seems fine. In all honesty, the welds are not that great. They look strong but they are not refined or "sculptured" etc.

You're a bit larger/heavier than I am and I don't know anything about that particular frame, so you'll be the first to find out. Good luck with it!

The manufacturer of any aluminum frame will only give you about a five year warranty. I'd just watch that one for cracks around the major stress points. ie: bottom bracket and such.

Originally posted by Ted B
Ok, here's your 'break'...

"The 1.8 lb EV4 is one of the most technologically advanced framesets in the world. Made of new XL Evolution EV4 triple butted, foam reinforced hyperalloy (a Bianchi designed and improved version of U2), the frame has a tensile strength 25% greater than the best 7000 series tubes now in use. Bianchi designed the tubes to maximize the weight advantage while still incorporating wide margins for rigidity and durability. Tube wall thickness varies from 0.6mm to 1.15mm."

...etc., et al.

But wait a minute...now I see the Bianchi catalog advertises the frame as weighing 1120g for 55cm (mine is a 53cm), which equates to 2.47lbs. so that is confusing.

Ah well, the finished bike weighs only 15.6 lbs., so I suppose it's all relatively academic.
Yeah, ya shoulda weighed it.That cuts thru alot of the hype and BS. And FWIW, Bianchi has had more than a normal share of their light frames breaking.

When I was checking out your 'dented' frame question I did a google on Morgul-Bismark and they used to be a sponsor of Celestial Seasoning's Ladies Team in Colorado. If these frames are some made up for the team but not used they might be made as light as possible since the women would be lighter. If these frames are part of their regular product line they might be heavier/stronger. Probably no way to tell since the company is out of the frame business. BTW, they are still in the frame painting business so you might try to contact them. You might get lucky and reach someone who knows the details.

If it were me, I'd build it. Ride it carefully for a while. Look for any signs of over-stressing until I was confident.

Good luck

Originally posted by boudreaux
Yeah, ya shoulda weighed it.That cuts thru alot of the hype and BS. And FWIW, Bianchi has had more than a normal share of their light frames breaking.

The pre-2000 EV frames were fragile, but the later ones (with structural foam injection) hold up quite well. I did some research before buying my frameset, and the reports were very favorable.

Yes, I wish I'd have weighed it for kicks, but like I said, this is academic at this point, as the completed machine checks in at a paltry 15.6 lbs.

If your tubeset decal says "Ultra Lite", and not "Ultralite Race", then I think you've got a pretty durable tubeset. Believe Easton makes two thinner/lighter tubesets than Ultralite: the Ultralite Race and S3 Scandium. Also, did you weight it yourself? If it's the UltraLite tubeset, would guess it's closer to 2.5 lbs.

Originally posted by Brizza
Isn't Elite lighter than Ultralight?

Brian

Looking at their website, Elite is the "heavier" road tubeset, "built for non-stop hammering" according to Easton. If you go with the fat 50.8 mm downtube, you're talking almost a whole 2 lbs for the 3 main tubes. Still very light, but hardly bragging-rights territory anymore.