Scattante- italian for "sucker"?

Trg

Guest
Hi,

Does anyone here have a frame made by Scattante and sold by Supergo (especially the CFR)? I'm
thinking of getting one, and since I don't know the brand, would like some feedback before shelling
out the bucks.

Thanks.

---

A friend of mine was considering the CFR Ultegra and I pointed out a couple issues (all disclosed on
the SuperGo site):
1. Unless you buy the 62CM you're stuck with 172.5 cranks (the 50CM gets 170's)
2. The frame is only warranted 5 years...how does this compare to other manufacturers' CF
framesets?
3. The bike ships "dealer ready" which means you are expected to assemble the machine and do the
QC work. In addition to basic assembly and adjustment, a good LBS would check the frame
alignment, make sure the wheels are true, chase the BB shell threads, make sure the bike
actually fits you, etc.

IMHO, the money you save on this machine will be spent on changing out the items that may not be
right for you (stem and crankarm length in particular) and for professional assembly if you're not
willing, able or equipped to do so yourself.

"trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here have a frame made by Scattante and sold by Supergo (especially the CFR)? I'm
> thinking of getting one, and since I don't know the brand, would like some feedback before
> shelling out the bucks

>3. The bike ships "dealer ready" which means you are expected to assemble the machine and do the
> QC work.

Or pay a shop to build it. Bikes are not that difficult to build-ask the joker building them
at x-mart.

> make sure the bike actually fits you, etc.

Every shop does this, right? None ever sell someone a size they need to unload?

>IMHO, the money you save on this machine will be spent on changing out the items that may not be
>right for you (stem and crankarm length in particular)

The best bet is to ride several brands of bikes to get a size range then order the one closest.
Stems can be had for <$20 online. My 55cm Lemond came with 172.5 cranks- didnt seem to bother me,
raise the seat 2.5mm or 1/10 inch -big deal.

Scattante bikes seem like a good deal. I nearly ordered the 853 ultegra one last year but my size
was sold out

I had the Airplane Alu frame, frame broke in month 13. It was at the end of the product cycle. The
Scandium was offered as a replacement, but they ultimately didn't have my size last fall. Convinced
them to return my money, which they did. I kept the fork.

So the result was ok for a frame that broke, rather not have a frame that broke, though.

On 23 Jul 2003 00:37:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) may have said:

>>3. The bike ships "dealer ready" which means you are expected to assemble the machine and do the
>> QC work.
>
>Or pay a shop to build it. Bikes are not that difficult to build-ask the joker building them
>at x-mart.

Bikes are not that difficult to build, that's true, but this does not mean that the joker at x-mart
is doing it *right*. The average LBS is a lot more clueful about a bunch of "minor" things that the
x-mart droid can't necessarily even spell. Stuff like making sure the front axle bearings are
correctly adjusted, and that the rear der stops are properly set, and that the brake pads at both
ends are positioned and aligned the way they need to be. Yes, the x-mart droid can slap the
handlebars on, screw in the pedals, air up the tires, and tighten the clamp on the set (generally at
the wrong angle) quite well, but that's hardly sufficient. And all of this, of course, assumes that
the customer could tell, up front and just from sitting on one of the floor models, that the bike
was the right size to begin with.

>> make sure the bike actually fits you, etc.
>
>Every shop does this, right? None ever sell someone a size they need to unload?

Not twice to the same customer, usually.

I talked to a guy at one of my criterium races who was riding one. He LOVES it. Went on and on about
what a wonderful bike it is. Seemed pretty quick too.

trg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here have a frame made by Scattante and sold by Supergo (especially the CFR)? I'm
> thinking of getting one, and since I don't know the brand, would like some feedback before
> shelling out the bucks.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ---

"Jkpoulos7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >3. The bike ships "dealer ready" which means you are expected to
assemble
> >the machine and do the QC work.
>
> Or pay a shop to build it. Bikes are not that difficult to build-ask the
joker
> building them at x-mart.

The joker at x-mart gets paid BY THE PIECE. The faster he slaps them together, the more $ he makes,
quality be damned.

>Bikes are not that difficult to build, that's true, but this does not mean that the joker at x-mart
>is doing it *right*. The average LBS is a lot more clueful about a bunch of "minor" things that the
>x-mart droid can't necessarily even spell. Stuff like making sure the front axle bearings are
>correctly adjusted, and that the rear der stops are properly set, and that the brake pads at both
>ends are positioned and aligned the way they need to be. Yes, the x-mart droid can slap the
>handlebars on, screw in the pedals, air up the tires, and tighten the clamp on the set (generally
>at the wrong angle) quite well, but that's hardly sufficient. And all of this, of course, assumes
>that the customer could tell, up front and just from sitting on one of the floor models, that the
>bike was the right size to begin with.

Depends on the bike manufacturer. Some do everything you describe at the factory so that the shop
selling the bike needs to do very little to get the bike ready for the customer. I'm sure some of
the bike shop owners who read this newsgroup can tell you which companies are better than others.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:02:37 -0400, "P. Hardewig" <pjwig<nospam>@fuse.net> may have said:

>"Jkpoulos7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> >3. The bike ships "dealer ready" which means you are expected to
>assemble
>> >the machine and do the QC work.
>>
>> Or pay a shop to build it. Bikes are not that difficult to build-ask the
>joker
>> building them at x-mart.
>>

>The joker at x-mart gets paid BY THE PIECE. The faster he slaps them together, the more $ he makes,
>quality be damned.

All of the Wal-Marts in this area have a guy on hourly in Sporting Goods doing it. K-Mart was the
same way, although since they have pulled out of this area, I don't know if that's still true. None
of the big discounters would be able to keep a flat rate assembler busy outside of the two weeks
before Xmas, so I really doubt that what you say could widely be the case. And, frankly, they
wouldn't have any better results if they had their tire and oil change jockeys doing the work...and
those guys get more money. (Not bloody much more, mind you; if Wal-Mart paid a living wage, the
prices would have to go up quite a bit.)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:57:57 -0400, Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> may have said:

>Depends on the bike manufacturer. Some do everything you describe at the factory so that the shop
>selling the bike needs to do very little to get the bike ready for the customer. I'm sure some of
>the bike shop owners who read this newsgroup can tell you which companies are better than others.

From the way that friends and neighbors have often brought brand new consumer-grade mass-market
bikes by here on December 27th or 28th to get everything adjusted, I rather suspect that the factory
setup isn't as stunning as it ought to be on many of the x-mart units. Close enough to be ridden,
perhaps, but not *right*.

My apologies in advance if this posts incorrectly - first timer (be gentle).

Hey Trg - did you purchase the Scattante from Supergo? I am looking around for a road bike and this one caught my eye as well. I would greatly appreciate your feedback - e.g. if you bought it, are you pleased? If not, why and what did you buy instead?

Hi CH,

No, I didn't get the Scattante. For about the same price I am buying a 2001 Trek OCLV (5200/5500).
Since the nearest Supergo store is about 10000 kms from me, there's no chance of trying it out. If
for some reason I need to resell the bike (fit, characteristics, financial considerations ...), I am
pretty sure of getting back what I put into the Trek. (Actually more since bike prices in France
where I live are much higher than the States). I saw a new Scattante advertised on Ebay that didn't
attract a bid.

I think it's probably a good deal and good value- if it's a good fit and you like the ride, but I've
been supremely happy with a 2 year old Trek that I bought 11 years ago and still ride frequently.
That's worth something. Your $1500 can buy a very nice used bike that can be resold for what you
paid if after a bit you find it's not for you. Personally, other than having the very latest
innovation that is only available in the latest model, (and the lifetime non-transferrable warranty
that come on some frames, though not Scattante), I see no reason to buy a new bike. Any problems are
easily spotted, diagnosed and fixed. The Trek I'm getting is the same frame that the USPS rode this
year in the TdF. And tyhe component level is as good or better. I had to weigh that against being
the "original owner". I went for more bang for the buck.

Still, I think the Scattante is a good sign. Prices on carbon frames will be coming down.

news:[email protected]...

trg wrote:
> Hi CH,
>
> No, I didn't get the Scattante. For about the same price I am buying a 2001 Trek OCLV (5200/5500).
> Since the nearest Supergo store is

Congratulations on a very nice bike. I did exactly the same thing six months ago and I don't regret
it a second. Not to mention the Q factor. There is always somebody on our clubrides that will
comment or just stare longingly at it ;) Besides the white colourscheme they had in 2001 is by far
the flashiest one.

--
Perre

Guess why people who speak Greek will not buy a Scattante?

HINT: It is worth finding out what Scatta means in Greek....

A girl that I ride with bought a Supergo bike. Some of the people that we ride with are Greek. They
always die laughing when she shows up with the bike.

Bruce

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> trg wrote:
> > Hi CH,
> >
> > No, I didn't get the Scattante. For about the same price I am buying a 2001 Trek OCLV
> > (5200/5500). Since the nearest Supergo store is
>
> Congratulations on a very nice bike. I did exactly the same thing six
months
> ago and I don't regret it a second. Not to mention the Q factor. There is always somebody on our
> clubrides that will comment or just stare longingly at it ;) Besides the white colourscheme they
> had in 2001 is by far the flashiest
one.

> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guess why people who speak Greek will not buy a Scattante?
>
> HINT: It is worth finding out what Scatta means in Greek....
>
> A girl that I ride with bought a Supergo bike. Some of the people that we ride with are Greek.
> They always die laughing when she shows up with the bike.
>
> Bruce

Is that anything like why Chevy didn't sell any Novas in Mexico?

Mike

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:aZI6b.45338$cj1.28930@fed1read06...

> "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Guess why people who speak Greek will not buy a Scattante?
> >
> > HINT: It is worth finding out what Scatta means in Greek....
> >
> > A girl that I ride with bought a Supergo bike. Some of the people that
we
> > ride with are Greek. They always die laughing when she shows up with the bike.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> Is that anything like why Chevy didn't sell any Novas in Mexico?
>
> Mike

No, it's actually worse! LoL....

If you crossed a Nova with a Scattante you'd get Constipation.

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:aZI6b.45338$cj1.28930@fed1read06...
> >
> > "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Guess why people who speak Greek will not buy a Scattante?
> > >
> > > HINT: It is worth finding out what Scatta means in Greek....
> > >
> > > A girl that I ride with bought a Supergo bike. Some of the people that
> we
> > > ride with are Greek. They always die laughing when she shows up with
the
> > > bike.
> > >
> > > Bruce
> > >
> > Is that anything like why Chevy didn't sell any Novas in Mexico?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> No, it's actually worse! LoL....

---

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:23:36 GMT, Bruce Gilbert <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > HINT: It is worth finding out what Scatta means in Greek....
>> Is that anything like why Chevy didn't sell any Novas in Mexico?
> No, it's actually worse! LoL....

So can somebody please translate for the unwashed masses?

Babelfish is uncooperative.

--
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:39:32 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Is that anything like why Chevy didn't sell any Novas in Mexico?
>> No, it's actually worse! LoL....
>
>So can somebody please translate for the unwashed masses?
>
>Babelfish is uncooperative.

Run 'scatology' through google.