scenery on DVD without an expensive trainer

SEAcarlessTTLE

Nov 29, 2005
I recently got my wife one of the Tacx Video Cycling DVDs (the French Alps one), and she likes it for spinning on the trainer.

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?language=EN&lvlMain=17&lvlSub=63&ttop=Video Cycling

The Video Cycling DVDs are nice in that they're basically just video, vs. those fancy virtual reality training systems where the video interacts with an expensive trainer. I was happy to find an option for bored indoor spinners on a tight budget.

I'm thinking of ordering another one of the DVDs from the same series but am wondering if anyone out there knows of other similar videos and can recommend any. I realize folks like watching other stuff, too, like race footage, but I'm looking specifically for first-person perspective scenery.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Tacx VR trainer, although I'm hoping to have a spin on my friend's Fortius VR this weekend and try riding through the Pyrennes. He is impressed, as was the cyclingnews.com reviewer:

cyclingnews review of Tacx Fortius VR

Although I was thinking of buying one of those real life Tacx DVD's I wasn't sure it made much sense on a regular fluid trainer, other than changing your gearing appropriately to simulate the ascents/descents.

But, I just received and used the first ( of a potential series of) Spinervals Virtual Reality DVD's called Autumn Country Training Ride:

Autumn Country Training Ride

It was much easier than some of the intense Spinervals DVD's, but is a nice change from the 9+ rated competition series. After some of those I feel like dying or throwing up. But, this is a nice aerobic workout for 50 minutes and the scenery makes it interesting and may be good at this point to rotate through the various Spinerval DVDs. Only problem is I like to listen to my iPod and you need to keep one earbud out of your ear to hear what Coach Troy is telling you to make the VR thing work. I wish they would do one in the Mountains like that !

Worth checking out if you don't mind wasting 29$.

SSHHHH >>> I don't know about the Tacx DVD's, but I gather the Spinervals ones are easy to copy with a DVD burner and I know a lot of guys/gals around me are sharing titles to increase their library.

My LBS rents WCP DVDs of all pro races etc. Great stuff.

Watch out when you're on a TdF mountain descent and you're on the rollers. You tend to follow the corners.

I'd also recommend cycling.tv

Thom_y said:
But, I just received and used the first ( of a potential series of) Spinervals Virtual Reality DVD's called Autumn Country Training Ride:

Autumn Country Training Ride
Thanks for this pointer and your opinion of the DVD. While the video in this one isn't all from the rider's perspective, it does look like the sort of thing I am looking for.

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
I recently got my wife one of the Tacx Video Cycling DVDs (the French Alps one), and she likes it for spinning on the trainer.

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?language=EN&lvlMain=17&lvlSub=63&ttop=Video Cycling

The Video Cycling DVDs are nice in that they're basically just video, vs. those fancy virtual reality training systems where the video interacts with an expensive trainer. I was happy to find an option for bored indoor spinners on a tight budget.

I'm thinking of ordering another one of the DVDs from the same series but am wondering if anyone out there knows of other similar videos and can recommend any. I realize folks like watching other stuff, too, like race footage, but I'm looking specifically for first-person perspective scenery.
Hi I just bought the i magic fortious and ordered what i thought was real video DVD for it.Unortunately for me one of the ones i bought was was video footage like your French alps one it is of Majorca.I played it through and it tells you what mag setting to be in for terrain.
I am going to stick it on ebay tonight.I will post the ebay number when i have done it.

sammiedog said:
Hi I just bought the i magic fortious and ordered what i thought was real video DVD for it.Unortunately for me one of the ones i bought was was video footage like your French alps one it is of Majorca.I played it through and it tells you what mag setting to be in for terrain.
I am going to stick it on ebay tonight.I will post the ebay number when i have done it.
As promised ebay uk item No.120078449869