Scenes from a rest day

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
My provincial cycling organization sent me my glossy quarterly magazine,
and they have an interview with the High Performance Director
(basically, he provides coaching for provincial teams and any promising
young riders), who's a Welshman by birth.

Somebody didn't spell-check the oral interview:

"Your Favourite/Best moment in Cycling?"

"Steve Roach winning the Tour, Giro, and Worlds in 1987..."

Ah yes, Steve Roach, that good Irick lad.

Lucky for them his favourite rider wasn't Vynnohqu'rawv.

yikes..which province?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> My provincial cycling organization sent me my glossy quarterly magazine,
> and they have an interview with the High Performance Director
> (basically, he provides coaching for provincial teams and any promising
> young riders), who's a Welshman by birth.
>
> Somebody didn't spell-check the oral interview:
>
> "Your Favourite/Best moment in Cycling?"
>
> "Steve Roach winning the Tour, Giro, and Worlds in 1987..."
>
> Ah yes, Steve Roach, that good Irick lad.
>
> Lucky for them his favourite rider wasn't Vynnohqu'rawv.

In article <[email protected]>,
Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:

> yikes..which province?
>
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > My provincial cycling organization sent me my glossy quarterly magazine,
> > and they have an interview with the High Performance Director
> > (basically, he provides coaching for provincial teams and any promising
> > young riders), who's a Welshman by birth.
> >
> > Somebody didn't spell-check the oral interview:
> >
> > "Your Favourite/Best moment in Cycling?"
> >
> > "Steve Roach winning the Tour, Giro, and Worlds in 1987..."
> >
> > Ah yes, Steve Roach, that good Irick lad.
> >
> > Lucky for them his favourite rider wasn't Vynnohqu'rawv.

Not yours.

(BC; the coach is Steve Wooles, and I'm quite sure he knows it's
"Stephen.")

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:

> Well, I think that it would be a bit outside of the UCI's raison d'etre.
> They're an organization devoted to organizing bike races. Even simple
> cycling advocacy is left to other, more focused groups.

Horseshit

The aims of the UCI are as follows:

- regulating cycling at international level;
- promoting cycling in every country throughout the world and at all levels;
- organizing the World Championships for all disciplines;
- encouraging friendly relations between members of the cycling family;
- promoting sporting ethics and fair play;
- representing the sport of cycling and defending its interests on
national and international bodies;
- collaborating with the International Olympic Committee with respect
to Olmpic cycling events.

Our mission states that the UCI means to develop and promote all
aspects of cycling. This is because cycling is more than just a
competitive sport. It is also a leisure activity and an
environmentally friendly means of transport.

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
-

Davey Crockett wrote:

> Horseshit
>
> The aims of the UCI are as follows:
>
> - regulating cycling at international level;
> - promoting cycling in every country throughout the world and at all levels;
> - organizing the World Championships for all disciplines;
> - encouraging friendly relations between members of the cycling family;
> - promoting sporting ethics and fair play;
> - representing the sport of cycling and defending its interests on
> national and international bodies;
> - collaborating with the International Olympic Committee with respect
> to Olmpic cycling events.
>

> Our mission states that the UCI means to develop and promote all
> aspects of cycling. This is because cycling is more than just a
> competitive sport. It is also a leisure activity and an
> environmentally friendly means of transport.

Promote, but not protect. It seems you want the UCI to provide some sort
of protection (be it like a labour union, a legal advocate, whatever) to
bicycle messengers but, as Ryan said, that's not its reason d'être. The
UCI is a sporting body, promoting cycling at all levels (meaning
cadets->pros->fatty masters), not an advocate for couriers on two
wheels. The bike messengers should join the same union as Fedex and DHL
if they want protection and advocacy.

in message <[email protected]>, Ryan Cousineau
('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Words fail me when I contemplate a Piece of **** who would willingly
>> embrace SkateBoarding because there are lots of possibilities for
>> Payola and totally ignore the Bicycle Messengers

> Well, I think that it would be a bit outside of the UCI's raison d'etre.
> They're an organization devoted to organizing bike races. Even simple
> cycling advocacy is left to other, more focused groups.

Agree. But I also agree with Davey that they're being totally unprincipled
in getting into the skateboard lark, which (a) isn't cycling and (b) isn't
racing.

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

Kyle Legate <[email protected]> writes:

> Davey Crockett wrote:
>>
>> Horseshit
>>
>> The aims of the UCI are as follows:
>>
>> - regulating cycling at international level; - promoting cycling in
>> every country throughout the world and at all levels; - organizing
>> the World Championships for all disciplines; - encouraging friendly
>> relations between members of the cycling family; - promoting
>> sporting ethics and fair play; - representing the sport of cycling
>> and defending its interests on
>> national and international bodies; - collaborating with the
>> International Olympic Committee with respect
>> to Olmpic cycling events.
>>

>> Our mission states that the UCI means to develop and promote all
>> aspects of cycling. This is because cycling is more than just a
>> competitive sport. It is also a leisure activity and an
>> environmentally friendly means of transport.
>>

> Promote, but not protect. It seems you want the UCI to provide some
> sort of protection

Davey would be overjoyed if the UCI and affiliates would even Promote
Bicycle Messengers/Messengering

Instead The Asshole at the helm
--

Davey Crockett wrote:
> Kyle Legate <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Promote, but not protect. It seems you want the UCI to provide some
>> sort of protection

> Davey would be overjoyed if the UCI and affiliates would even Promote
> Bicycle Messengers/Messengering

In large cities it seems the demand has already been met and in smaller
cities bike messengers are not feasible due to lack of demand.

[email protected] wrote:
> Although the thought of watching Pat McQuaid drinking
> cheap whisky from a paper cup at an Alleycat Race is most
> appealing.

or appaling.

> One of the nice things about events like Single Speed
> Worlds and Messenger competitions is that they have
> evaded the UCI's clutches, and that is probably why they
> are still fun.

The consequences of introducing dope tests for messengers could be quite
interesting (or appaling).

Donald Munro <[email protected]> writes:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Although the thought of watching Pat McQuaid drinking
>> cheap whisky from a paper cup at an Alleycat Race is most
>> appealing.

> or appaling.
>
>> One of the nice things about events like Single Speed
>> Worlds and Messenger competitions is that they have
>> evaded the UCI's clutches, and that is probably why they
>> are still fun.

> The consequences of introducing dope tests for messengers could be quite
> interesting (or appaling).

If you exclude canabis and beer, I seriously doubt that you would
catch very many Messengers

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
-
The propaganda war used to justify Western policies over Kosovo was
unrelenting. We were told that 500,000 ethnic Albanians had been
killed there by the Serbs (miraculously we are now given a figure of
around 10,000). Much was made of a 1989 speech by former Yugoslav
leader Slobodan Milosevic said to call for "ethnic cleansing" in
Kosovo. But one has only to read the speech to realize it said the
exact opposite - that it was a call for moderation in handling ethnic
Albanian hostility to a justifiably stronger Serbian political
presence there; the idea that the 10 percent Serbian minority there
would set out deliberately to expel the large ethnic Albanian majority
was patently absurd from the start. Yet that absurdity has regularly
been trundled out by allegedly objective Western commentators relying
heavily on the 1999 flight of ethnic Albanians to neighboring
Macedonia as proof. But that flight was temporary, and came after the
U.S - NATO bombing attacks, not before. Some of it was also staged.

Davey Crockett wrote:
> If you exclude canabis and beer, I seriously doubt that you would
> catch very many Messengers

But WADA think that canabis is performance enhancing (and apparently the
British labour party ministers agree).