[Schlumpf Questions] Owners Manual

semach.the.monkey

Guest
sorry for the multiple posts on related subjects, but i figured people
using the search facility in the future might find things easier.

Does anyone have a Schlumpf Owners Manual that they wouldn't mind
copying/scanning for me? I bought mine second hand and it came
manualless :( I'm sure a lot of it would be fairly obvious stuff, but
the two main points that I worry about is adjusting the seat post (I
know Joe Marshals frame was written off because of the complexity of
this), and re-oiling the hub. I have 2 syringes of oil, but have no
idea how often or how much they will be needed.

I have the info about changing cranks from the SchlumpfDrive pdf file,
so at least that side of things seem well covered.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com

semach.the.monkey wrote:
> Does anyone have a Schlumpf Owners Manual that they wouldn't mind
> copying/scanning for me? I bought mine second hand and it came
> manualless :(

Well the "manual" that came with mine was just a sheet of paper. I don't
have access to a scanner at the moment, but I can type what it says
about adjusting the seat height (complete with typos).

> Losen the screws of the lower and upper crown (bridge) to adjust the
> seat post. Please notice, that the lower bridge can easily be slided on
> the frame tube.
>
> The minimal distance between upper and lower bridge shouldn't be less
> than 1/2" (12mm). That equals the thickness of the bridge.
>
> The lower bridge should be positioned as low as possible. This gives
> highest stiffness to the frame.
>
> To tighten the screws, start with low torque with the screw furthest on
> the left side, than tighten the one furthest on the right side, then
> the inner screws, later with higher torque tighten all the screws
> again.
> Please note, that this system doesn't require high tightening torques,
> as it clamps the seat post very effectively.

The way I interpret the above is to tighten the outer screws first until
there is the tiniest resistance, then tighten the inner screws next
until there is the tiniest resistance, then return to the outer screws
and tighten them some more, then the inner screws and tighten them to
the same torque. Finally I tighten the outer screws firmly and then the
inner screws firmly.

It's as if you have to tighten all the screws to gradually increasing
torque, first outside, then inside, with two or three passes.
semach.the.monkey wrote:
> and re-oiling the hub.

Unfortunately the sheet of paper I have doesn't say anything about
re-oiling.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
http://www.usenet.com