Schmidt Hub Dynamo

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Damerell, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. I recently got a Schmidt hub dynamo, Bisy headlight, and B&M Seculite taillight. I am extremely
    pleased with these bits; but in the course of purchasing and fitting them, I felt that no one Web
    page had all the details I wanted on; and since I had occasion to write all this up for my father, I
    decided to put the details up so as to form another page that wouldn't quite tell everyone what they
    wanted to know, which is at <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/bikes/dynamo.html>, FWIW.

    Oh, and Suntour XC SE cantilevers are jolly nice, too.

  2. David Damerell wrote:

    > I recently got a Schmidt hub dynamo, Bisy headlight, and B&M Seculite taillight. I am extremely
    > pleased with these bits; but in the course of purchasing and fitting them, I felt that no one Web
    > page had all the details I wanted on; and since I had occasion to write all this up for my
    > father, I decided to put the details up so as to form another page that wouldn't quite tell
    > everyone what they wanted to know, which is at
    > <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/bikes/dynamo.html>, FWIW.

    afaik all the bisy's with a whacking great reflectorring are gone. The option Schmidt offers, which
    might have confused you, is a E6 with a turned down stock bisy reflector, which doesn't reflect
    light up and sideways into your eyes
    --
    Marten

  3. M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
    >afaik all the bisy's with a whacking great reflectorring are gone. The option Schmidt offers, which
    >might have confused you, is a E6 with a turned down stock bisy reflector, which doesn't reflect
    >light up and sideways into your eyes

    OK, now I'm confused, because I've only actually seen one headlamp of this type - the Bisy - which
    has a big signalring and no reflector at all. I wonder if you can clarify what the types of E6 have,
    so I can correct the page?

    [Oh, and - foolish as it may sound, I can undo the screw on the back of the Bisy, but don't then
    know how to get at the bulb for replacement - the back doesn't seem to come off - I'd be grateful if
    anyone can tell me what I'm missing.]

  4. David Damerell wrote:

    > M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >afaik all the bisy's with a whacking great reflectorring are gone. The option Schmidt offers,
    > >which might have confused you, is a E6 with a turned down stock bisy reflector, which doesn't
    > >reflect light up and sideways into your eyes
    >
    > OK, now I'm confused, because I've only actually seen one headlamp of this type - the Bisy - which
    > has a big signalring and no reflector at all. I wonder if you can clarify what the types of E6
    > have, so I can correct the page?
    >
    > [Oh, and - foolish as it may sound, I can undo the screw on the back of the Bisy, but don't then
    > know how to get at the bulb for replacement - the back doesn't seem to come off - I'd be grateful
    > if anyone can tell me what I'm missing.]
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

    remove screw and drop it. Don't bother to look for it, it's unnecessary. The head (black cone) now
    unscrews (30 degrees anticlockwise if you look into the reflector)

    There are two basic types of E6: E6 and E6-z (Z denotes Zuzatz (me thinks) ie auxilliary for 12v
    setups. Both lights can be fitted with a turned down reflector (86mm -> 75 mm) If you look at the
    crosssection of the E6 it is evident which bit is removed. (pics are on my site) Bisy's with a
    signalring around the reflector were 110 mm or so.

    --
    Marten

    NEW WEBADRESS: www.M-Gineering.nl

  5. M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote:
    >remove screw and drop it. Don't bother to look for it, it's unnecessary. The head (black cone) now
    >unscrews (30 degrees anticlockwise if you look into the reflector)

    Thank you.

    >There are two basic types of E6: E6 and E6-z (Z denotes Zuzatz (me thinks) ie auxilliary for 12v
    >setups. Both lights can be fitted with a turned down reflector (86mm -> 75 mm) If you look at the
    >crosssection of the E6 it is evident which bit is removed. (pics are on my site) Bisy's with a
    >signalring around the reflector were 110 mm or so.

    Ah, I think I see where I have introduced confusion; I was thinking of "reflector" as in the belt
    around the light on things like the round Lumotecs intended to reflect back the headlights of
    oncoming cars, and not the reflector which focusses the light's own beam.

    I shall alter the Web page accordingly.