School bookbag style bike luggage?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load. It can attach pannier style or
    trunk style, but it has to be secure (I don't know a quick, easy and secure method to simply attach
    the heavyish backpack to the rack).

    Alternatives include baskets, or basket-style Panniers to carry the small backpack.

    Thanks in advance. David

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    > must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load.

    Carried on the back.

    > It can attach pannier style or trunk style, but it has to be secure (I don't know a quick, easy
    > and secure method to simply attach the heavyish backpack to the rack).

    A quick web search revealed the Arkel Bug:
    <http://www.panniers.com/panniers/backpack/index.asp?page=overview&site=>

    It may to be too small, so I'll see if I can try it/buy it locally. Still interested if anyone knows
    of other bags that might work.

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "David" wrote ...
    > Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    > must be something that can be carried
    comfortably
    > with a 14lb load. It can attach pannier style or trunk style, but it has
    > be secure (I don't know a quick, easy and secure method to simply attach the heavyish backpack to
    > the rack).
    >
    > Alternatives include baskets, or basket-style Panniers to carry the small backpack.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. David

    A messenger bag? Patagonia makes the Half Mass and Critical Mass, there are probably others around.
    --
    mark

  4. David

    David Guest

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > A messenger bag? Patagonia makes the Half Mass and Critical Mass, there are probably
    > others around.

    Looking for something you can carry backpack-style when it's not on the bike, and something you're
    not carrying while you're on the bike.

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:18:07 -0800,
    <[email protected]>, "David"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    >must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load. It can attach pannier style or
    >trunk style, but it has to be secure (I don't know a quick, easy and secure method to simply attach
    >the heavyish backpack to the rack).

    As others have mentioned, the Arkel LadyBug pannier/backpack works great and holds lots of stuff...
    including legal size file folders without bending!

    Fourteen pounds of books is hard to say. Ten kilos of rice, no problem. It will hold more paperbacks
    than hardbound. Mine's carried more than 14lbs. of tools.

    Look at the blueprints on the Arkel site. Mock up a paper bag to see how it works your book sizes.
    I put in almost a shelf-foot (28.5 cm) of 7 hardbound books, 255 X 80 mm. There was room left over
    for another 4" in 6 ~11 X 18 cm paperbacks, two bungee cords keys, wallet gloves and an umbrella. .
    . And there was still room for some fig bars, a sandwich, tuque and a brew. Heavy, but it's an
    amazing bag.

    What makes it a good pannier makes it a less than ideal backpack. There's no waist strap and the
    rigid back makes it impractical for hiking or carrying long distances on the bike without a rack.

    It's water resistance is decent but it's not a submersible like the Seratus and Ortlieb bags. I bag
    books in plastic for travel when the bag's bottom is likely to get soaked.
    --
    zk

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    > must be something that can be carried
    comfortably
    > with a 14lb load. It can attach pannier style or trunk style, but it has
    > be secure (I don't know a quick, easy and secure method to simply attach the heavyish backpack to
    > the rack).
    >
    > Alternatives include baskets, or basket-style Panniers to carry the small backpack.

    A fold-out style pannier might work, but I really prefer something that lets me store a backpack
    while riding, then retrieve it quickly to wear on my shoulders. For this, I don't think there's
    anything more effective than the old milk crate bolted to a rear rack. Snicker if you will, but I
    have trunk packs, panniers, and a messenger bag, but nothing is quite as simple, practical and cheap
    as the crate.

  7. Josh Gatts

    Josh Gatts Guest

    David <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    >> must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load.
    >
    > Carried on the back.
    >
    >> It can attach pannier style or trunk style, but it has to be secure (I don't know a quick, easy
    >> and secure method to simply attach the heavyish backpack to the rack).
    >
    > A quick web search revealed the Arkel Bug:
    > <http://www.panniers.com/panniers/backpack/index.asp?page=overview&site=>
    >
    > It may to be too small, so I'll see if I can try it/buy it locally. Still interested if anyone
    > knows of other bags that might work.

    David:

    I have the Arkel Ladybug. It is large enough to carry two large textbooks (like the size of
    Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary), a notebook and a few other small items. It attaches to the
    rear rack quite securely, and is not too bad to carry around on the back. It is also extremely well
    constructed.

    I think I recall seeing a similar thing in a Nashbar catalog, but I doubt that the quality
    is as good.

    --Josh

  8. M. Barbee

    M. Barbee Guest

    "Josh Gatts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > >> Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books?
    > >> It must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load.

    > David:
    >
    > I have the Arkel Ladybug. It is large enough to carry two large textbooks (like the size of
    > Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary), a notebook and a
    few
    > other small items. It attaches to the rear rack quite securely, and is
    not
    > too bad to carry around on the back. It is also extremely well
    constructed.

    > I think I recall seeing a similar thing in a Nashbar catalog, but I doubt that the quality is
    > as good.
    >
    > --Josh

    I can second the comment about Arkel quality. I've had the Arkel briefcase for about 9 months. It
    has worked great. The briefcase is slightly smaller according to their website, but it could still
    hold a couple of textbooks. However, for textbooks, I'd probably go with the Ladybug. It's has a
    little bit of expansion room according to the website. The ladybug will probably be my next bike
    bag purchase.

  9. David wrote:

    > Anyone know of a piece of bike luggage that could replace a backpack carrying 14lbs of books? It
    > must be something that can be carried comfortably with a 14lb load.

    This is probably of no help to you stateside as I live in France, but at my local supermarket bike
    shop I just bought a very fetching piece of bike luggage. It fits over the back rack of the bike.
    There are pannier bags hanging down both sides, with tubular compartments for bottles, trimmed with
    reflector tape, at the back. Then over the top, the part that balances over the rack, there is
    another zipped-on compartment that can be unzipped to form a backpack, with shoulder straps. It cost
    around 50 Euros. There is a not very helpful logo in it that says "hapo-G".

    I have not tested it with 14 lbs of books, however. Its principal vocation for the time being is
    groceries and bottles of Badoit water.

    EFR Ile de France

  10. David

    David Guest

    An almost-local bike shop (Missing Link in Berkeley), had a pretty nice looking smallish
    backpack/pannier by Lone Peak. I think it will work great.