School teacher looking to upgrade his commute bike

centralmail

Aug 26, 2004
This thread is a request to Giant bike commuters to share their wisdom...

This thread is a follow-up to my other thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t175002-school-teacher-seeks-advice-on-his-commute.html

I must say that the last 9 months on the road have been a joy, and my strength has progressively increased to the stage that my 4 mile commute is relatively effortless. Who would have thought that, 9 months ago, having mounted the saddle for the first time since I was a kid, that I would still be sticking at it 9 months later...

Commuting by bike has resulted in a weight loss of 14 pounds, and a considerable cost saving over the bus and the car (but cost saving is not my primary motivation to commute; health reasons were)... my cholesterol level is now right down...

I would like to take things further and upgrade my bike... my LBS mainly does the Giant brand and they have a great service, so I would like to stick to the Giant brand...

My current bike is a relatively heavy steel-framed Giant Expression...

My question is simple:
In respect of the following website: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2006

, which of the many and varied Giant bikes
Road: TCR, OCR
Performance MTB: Faith, Reign, Trance, XtC
Sport MTB: Terago, Rock, Mistral, STP
Recreation: Sedona, Cypress, CRS, Expression

would you upgrade to for a 4 to 5 mile commute?

Cost is no issue i.e. I am willing to spend anything from £ couple of hundred ($350) to £1500 ($2700)...

My main objective is to have an even more effortless ride...

Information on route:
The route is composed of bike paths (not very smooth), normal road, and a bit of curb hopping... the final ascent to school is up a relatively steep hill...

Thank for, Giant commuters, for any input that you are able to offer...

gclark8 said:
My suggeation is a hybrid, with suspension forks and 27 speed gears, a road cassette and slick tyres will make the pedaling easier. Cypress springs to mind... http://www.giant-bicycle.com/au/030.000.000/030.010.000.asp?year=2005&range=91

Normaly I would sugest the flat bar range (CRX) but not for hopping kerbs..

My Trekking bike set up would be ideal for you. :)
Thank you!

When you say CRX do you mean CRS on http://www.giantbicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=213

centralmail said:
This thread is a request to Giant bike commuters to share their wisdom...
I have been commuting on a Giant Cypress for a bit over a year, I have about 4000 miles on it.

It's been OK, and is still my trusty steed, but I'm looking to upgrade. If I was staying within the Giant brand, I'd currently go with the OCR3.

I'll still keep the Cypress, because it'll work better in the winter. However, I would like something a little more nimble, and also something I can maybe do some weekend tours on.

I actually probably won't go with Giant, because I'd like more of a steel touring or cyclocross bike. I may very well go with REI, or perhaps a Surly cross or LHT. But within the Giant brand, probably OCR3 or 2.

As it turns out, I didn't end up buying a new bike. As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My trusty (but heavy) workhorse, the Giant Expression, continues to perform magnificently, and my weight is now down to just below 13 stones -- I have lost over a stone since starting commuting into school.

Following on from a comment in a previous post about taking the bus when it rains heavily, I now feel happy to cycle through rain... it is a truly refreshing experience and I don't actually get wet, since I have since purchased rain protection. The Altura jacket and waterproof trousers are carried in an Altura pannier which hangs from my rear rack. Should Mother Nature spring a surprise shower upon me mid-way through the journey, it is rather easy and rapid (under 2 minutes) to find a tree and transform myself to amphibious mode.

centralmail said:
As it turns out, I didn't end up buying a new bike. As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My trusty (but heavy) workhorse, the Giant Expression, continues to perform magnificently, and my weight is now down to just below 13 stones -- I have lost over a stone since starting commuting into school.

Following on from a comment in a previous post about taking the bus when it rains heavily, I now feel happy to cycle through rain... it is a truly refreshing experience and I don't actually get wet, since I have since purchased rain protection. The Altura jacket and waterproof trousers are carried in an Altura pannier which hangs from my rear rack. Should Mother Nature spring a surprise shower upon me mid-way through the journey, it is rather easy and rapid (under 2 minutes) to find a tree and transform myself to amphibious mode.
As a London commuter myself, I would be interested to know more about your journey.
My daily ride is eleven miles each way and of course it keeps me fit. Four miles on a bike is better than four miles on a bus but is not really enough, even with the odd hill and anything that you do to make your ride easier; lighter frame, wheels or better tyres for example will actually be depriving you of exercise. Up to now you physical improvement has been impressive and encouraging but to lose more weight through cycling alone (if that is your goal) then you will have to make the journey longer or give the bike exercise at the weekends as well. Once you are going on longer rides, then consider getting a lighter bike.
Actually this is not the right time of year to be thinking about adding miles to your commute, but going out for a spin on a fine Saturday or Sunday can be rewarding. There is probably a local cycling group that you could hook up with for this.
Please keep posting, your evident enthusiasm makes your posts good to read.

sounds like every one uses road bikes but my giant Boulder se is just fine for commute. especialy with a half mile hill on the way:p

centralmail said:
Just curious about your school hours. I'm a teacher as well and would love to ride to/from work, but I'm not willing to ride in the dark and it's still dark when we have to be at school (7:30 am). We don't have readily available shower facilities either and I'm hesitant to work the day with no shower after my 10-mile ride to school. I'd still love to work it out somehow.

centralmail said:
Aha...being a year-round Seattle commuter, it's always good to hear about other cyclists undaunted by a little water. :) If I let rain stop me, I'd never get out! Ride on, and congratulations on successfully rediscovering the joys of cycling. I hope you inspire more folks to do the same.