schrader to presta rim adapter

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by johnson.., Jul 26, 2004.

  1. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    Hi
    Had a bit of a problem yesterday, luckly i was home and not in the
    middle of nowhere. I recently bought a rans tailwind 2001 model new from a
    LBS, got a good deal. Of course with all the mods I'm up to the original
    price by now.

    Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
    1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should
    have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday
    night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel
    and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another
    tube fail on me.

    To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to
    take the bus to work and home today.

    Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with
    not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled
    for schrader without an adapter??

    Anyone else have this problem??

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:15:46 -0300, "johnson.."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with
    >not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled
    >for schrader without an adapter??

    There's a rubber bushing made to take up the space. I've bought a
    couple of Presta tubes that came with them, but they can be had
    separately from several sources including:

    http://tinyurl.com/3uqxl

    which is

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg... Grommet&tc=&item_id=CU-87685&id=494365123856

    I have also used a thin general-purpose grommet of the appropriate
    size; 1/4"IDx3/8"OD. All it does is keep the Presta stem centered in
    the hole and prevent chafing of the tube at the base of the valve.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  3. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    > Had a bit of a problem yesterday, luckly i was home and not in the
    > middle of nowhere. I recently bought a rans tailwind 2001 model new from a
    > LBS, got a good deal. Of course with all the mods I'm up to the original
    > price by now.
    >
    > Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
    > 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should
    > have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday
    > night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel
    > and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another
    > tube fail on me.
    >
    > To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to
    > take the bus to work and home today.
    >
    > Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with
    > not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled
    > for schrader without an adapter??
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem??

    Yes, I have had this problem, or something similar when I flatted and
    discovered that my brass adapter had corroded to the valve stem, and I
    couldn't separate tube and rim. In my experience, you can use presta tubes in
    schraeder drilled rims without any adapter, I have several bikes like this,
    since wheels came drilled that way and I don't like having to carry both types
    of tubes.

  4. johnson..

    johnson.. Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi
    > > Had a bit of a problem yesterday, luckly i was home and not in the
    > > middle of nowhere. I recently bought a rans tailwind 2001 model new from

    > > LBS, got a good deal. Of course with all the mods I'm up to the original
    > > price by now.
    > >
    > > Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
    > > 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i

    should
    > > have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm

    sunday
    > > night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the

    wheel
    > > and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have

    another
    > > tube fail on me.
    > >
    > > To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter.

    Had to
    > > take the bus to work and home today.
    > >
    > > Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where

    with
    > > not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim

    drilled
    > > for schrader without an adapter??
    > >
    > > Anyone else have this problem??

    > Yes, I have had this problem, or something similar when I flatted and
    > discovered that my brass adapter had corroded to the valve stem, and I
    > couldn't separate tube and rim. In my experience, you can use presta tubes

    in
    > schraeder drilled rims without any adapter, I have several bikes like

    this,
    > since wheels came drilled that way and I don't like having to carry both

    types
    > of tubes.

    Cool, thanks. I was worried that maybe the tube would try to squeeze out
    through the schrader size hole.