schrader to presta rim adapter



J

johnson..

Guest
Hi
Had a bit of a problem yesterday, luckly i was home and not in the
middle of nowhere. I recently bought a rans tailwind 2001 model new from a
LBS, got a good deal. Of course with all the mods I'm up to the original
price by now.

Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should
have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday
night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel
and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another
tube fail on me.

To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to
take the bus to work and home today.

Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with
not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled
for schrader without an adapter??

Anyone else have this problem??
 
J

Jeff Wills

Guest
"johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
<snip>
>
> To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter. Had to
> take the bus to work and home today.
>
> Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where with
> not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim drilled
> for schrader without an adapter??
>


??? I'm a little confused. You bought a tube with a Presta valve and
it didn't fit through the adapter in the rim? That's a little fishy-
every Presta valve I've seen is the same diameter.

Could the adapter have gotten banged or bent somehow? In any case, I'd
ream out the adapter a little, just to give yourself some wiggle room.

You can put a Presta tube in a Schrader rim without an adapter, but
the edges of the rim hole will tend to cut the tube. Annoying at best-
it's impossible to patch a hole there.

Jeff
 
J

johnson..

Guest
"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "johnson.." <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip>
> >
> > To my extreme surprise the new tube would not fit in the rim adapter.

Had to
> > take the bus to work and home today.
> >
> > Could have been much worse, could have been in the middle of no where

with
> > not a tube to fit the bike. BTW could i use a presta tube on a rim

drilled
> > for schrader without an adapter??
> >

>
> ??? I'm a little confused. You bought a tube with a Presta valve and
> it didn't fit through the adapter in the rim? That's a little fishy-
> every Presta valve I've seen is the same diameter.


The original presta valves fit fine, the ones i bought at the LBS did not
fit. The nut fits fine on the threaded valve but these tubes will not fit in
the adapter.

> Could the adapter have gotten banged or bent somehow? In any case, I'd
> ream out the adapter a little, just to give yourself some wiggle room.


The adapter isn't damaged at all because the original tubes on the bike fit.

> You can put a Presta tube in a Schrader rim without an adapter, but
> the edges of the rim hole will tend to cut the tube. Annoying at best-
> it's impossible to patch a hole there.


That i didn't know, thanks a bunch for that.

> Jeff
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
johnson.. wrote:

> ...
> Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
> 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i should
> have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm sunday
> night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the wheel
> and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have another
> tube fail on me....


Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25
mph. :(

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area
 
J

johnson..

Guest
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> johnson.. wrote:
>
> > ...
> > Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
> > 1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i

should
> > have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm

sunday
> > night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the

wheel
> > and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have

another
> > tube fail on me....

>
> Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25
> mph. :(
>
> --
> Tom Sherman – Quad City Area
>

that happened to you?? hope you healed up ok
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
johnson.. wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>johnson.. wrote:
>>
>>
>>>...
>>>Anyway on friday I bought a larger rear tire 1.95 (it came with comets
>>>1.35). Installed the tire sunday afternoon with the original tubes (i

>
> should
>
>>>have known better) not a tube made for the larger tire. About 930pm

>
> sunday
>
>>>night i hear a whooossss. Sure enough a tube failure. So I remove the

>
> wheel
>
>>>and tire and put in a new tube with a comet 1.35 not wanting to have

>
> another
>
>>>tube fail on me....

>>
>>Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25
>>mph. :(
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area
>>

>
> that happened to you?? hope you healed up ok


I replaced the tube and re-inflated the tire just in time to make it to
the start of the Thursday evening club ride. I only received minor
abrasions - more importantly my Rocket was undamaged except for
scratches on the left pedal and left side water bottle holder.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area
 
J

johnson..

Guest
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> >>Better with the bike parked than on the front wheel of a Rocket at 25
> >>mph. :(
> >>
> >>--
> >>Tom Sherman ?Quad City Area
> >>

> >
> > that happened to you?? hope you healed up ok

>
> I replaced the tube and re-inflated the tire just in time to make it to
> the start of the Thursday evening club ride. I only received minor
> abrasions - more importantly my Rocket was undamaged except for
> scratches on the left pedal and left side water bottle holder.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Quad City Area
>

excellent