Schrader to Presta?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lincoln Ross, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    Seems to me it would be easier to seat 1" tires if I put in Presta tubes, but my wheels are drilled
    out to Schrader. Is there some kind of bushing I can use? What to I have to do to a Zefal frame pump
    or Blackburn floor pump to use with Presta that's reversible so I can pump up my other bikes? THanks
    --
    Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Lincoln Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Seems to me it would be easier to seat 1" tires if I put in Presta tubes, but my wheels are
    > drilled out to Schrader. Is there some kind of bushing I can use? What to I have to do to a Zefal
    > frame pump or Blackburn floor pump to use with Presta that's reversible so I can pump up my other
    > bikes? THanks
    > --
    > Lincoln Ross NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE: [email protected]

    You can get them at Radio Shack. They are the little rubber grommets used to protect power cords
    coming through a hole in a metal case. If your other bikes are Schrader you can get a brass adapter
    at your LBS to screw over the presta valve and use a pump set up for schrader. This way you won't
    have to swap the guts to your pumps everytime.

    Mike

  3. Johnless

    Johnless Guest

    Yes, there used to be rubber donuts available to allow you to run presta valves. As far as being
    able to have a pump for either valve type, there are two ways that I can think of. You could use one
    of those little screw on adapters to "change" a presta into a schrader. Or, once upon a time I seem
    to recall seeing a dual head pump - maybe you could chase one down.

    >Seems to me it would be easier to seat 1" tires if I put in Presta tubes, but my wheels are
    >drilled out to Schrader. Is there some kind of bushing I can use? What to I have to do to a Zefal
    >frame pump or Blackburn floor pump to use with Presta that's reversible so I can pump up my other
    >bikes? THanks

    Yes, you can get grommets at your LBS, but you don't need them. I've been running a preta tube in a
    schraeder rim for a couple of years at high pressure, 100psi, with no ill effects.
    --------------
    Alex

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > If your other bikes are Schrader you can get a brass adapter at your LBS to screw over the presta
    > valve and use a pump set up for schrader. This way you won't have to swap the guts to your pumps
    > everytime.

    Make sure you get one with an O-ring. The adaptors without work poorly,
    ime.

    I carry one in case I loose/forget my pump so I can use a garage/gas station airline on my presta
    valves in an emergency.

    ~PB

  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Yes, you can get grommets at your LBS, but you don't need them. I've been running a preta tube in
    > a schraeder rim for a couple of years at high pressure, 100psi, with no ill effects.

    Ditto.

    My Proflex came with Mavic rims drilled for Schraeder, but with Presta tubes. I've been running them
    without grommets for 7 years now at even lower pressures (40 psi) which puts even more stress on the
    valve, with no problems.

    Steve B.

  7. Lincoln Ross

    Lincoln Ross Guest

    Thanks all. Guess I don't need to worry. Mechanic at one of many LBS (well, ok, I can't walk to this
    one) told me that if I reverse the rubber parts in my Zefal HP it will work directly. (BTW, don't be
    jealous, along with the many bike shops we have too many aggressive drivers. Probably would even
    give up walking distance to Sheldon Brown's shop in order to install eyes and consideration in all
    local drivers (most of them are ok, as everywhere, but it doesn't take very many)).