Schrader valve sizes???

martin lynch

Guest
Is there 2 different sizes for Schrader valves?

I purchased one of those mini-pumps, made by Schwinn, and I could not
get the pump to fit onto the valves of any of my bikes. The valve was
too large to fit into the pump.

I then returned it and got a Bell stand-up pump. Same problem.

On the third try, got some cheapo generic foot pump, and it fits the
valves on my bikes.

What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot -- flip the lever
straight to open hole, place over valve, then bend the lever at 90
degress to tighten the hole over the valve, right?

martin lynch wrote:
> Is there 2 different sizes for Schrader valves?
>
> I purchased one of those mini-pumps, made by Schwinn, and I could not
> get the pump to fit onto the valves of any of my bikes. The valve was
> too large to fit into the pump.
>
> I then returned it and got a Bell stand-up pump. Same problem.
>
> On the third try, got some cheapo generic foot pump, and it fits the
> valves on my bikes.
>
> What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot -- flip the lever
> straight to open hole, place over valve, then bend the lever at 90
> degress to tighten the hole over the valve, right?

Could it be that, since most modern pumps are reversible for
small or large valves, some pumps you tried ship in the
"presta" mode-- and should have been reversed for your
Schrader valve?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

i'm pretty sure that they were not in Presta mode, because the hole was
just slightly too small, whereas the sizes of a Schrader vs. Presta
seem to have a much larger discrepancy...

martin lynch wrote:
> Is there 2 different sizes for Schrader valves?
>
> I purchased one of those mini-pumps, made by Schwinn, and I could not
> get the pump to fit onto the valves of any of my bikes. The valve was
> too large to fit into the pump.
>
> I then returned it and got a Bell stand-up pump. Same problem.
>
> On the third try, got some cheapo generic foot pump, and it fits the
> valves on my bikes.
>
> What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot -- flip the lever
> straight to open hole, place over valve, then bend the lever at 90
> degress to tighten the hole over the valve, right?

I've had pumps that work that way, but also some that are the opposite,
i.e. flip the lever straight to tighten the chuck on the valve. And,
as previously mentioned, make sure the pump isn't set for operation
with smaller Presta valves.

peter wrote:
> I've had pumps that work that way, but also some that are the opposite,
> i.e. flip the lever straight to tighten the chuck on the valve. And,
> as previously mentioned, make sure the pump isn't set for operation
> with smaller Presta valves.

Good point.
If you look into the pump head while working the lever, it
should be clear which position is 'locked' - the washer
compresses so the hole is smaller when locked.

--

martin lynch wrote:
> Is there 2 different sizes for Schrader valves?
>
> I purchased one of those mini-pumps, made by Schwinn, and I could not
> get the pump to fit onto the valves of any of my bikes. The valve was
> too large to fit into the pump.
>
> I then returned it and got a Bell stand-up pump. Same problem.
>
> On the third try, got some cheapo generic foot pump, and it fits the
> valves on my bikes.
>
> What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot -- flip the lever
> straight to open hole, place over valve, then bend the lever at 90
> degress to tighten the hole over the valve, right?

Some you lift the lever to tighten, some you push the lever down to
tighten.

Some have a nut around the hole. If this nut is tightened too much,
the rubber insert is pushed into the center, leaving a hole too small
to accept the value, loosen the nut.

martin lynch wrote:
> i'm pretty sure that they were not in Presta mode, because the hole was
> just slightly too small, whereas the sizes of a Schrader vs. Presta
> seem to have a much larger discrepancy...

Sometimes the grommet is compressed a little by the top cap and you have
to loosen it before you can get it over the valve.

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Some have a nut around the hole.
If this nut is tightened too much, the rubber insert is pushed into the
center, leaving a hole too small to accept the value, loosen the nut.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do a complete test. Take the nut off, and pull out the rubber collar. Look
at both sides. While it is out, try fitting it over the valve stem, to make
sure it will go on with *NO* compression.

On 27 Mar 2006 23:25:55 -0800, "martin lynch" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>i'm pretty sure that they were not in Presta mode, because the hole was
>just slightly too small, whereas the sizes of a Schrader vs. Presta
>seem to have a much larger discrepancy...

Wet the grommet in the chuck slightly. Most of the pumps I've tried
are hard to get over a Schrader valve when first tried, but get easier
with use. After a few times on and off, they're generally more
cooperative.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

1. Play with the valve. See which way has the valve closed and which
way has it open

2. Your better pumps have an outer ring that squishes the gasket. This
lets you fine-tune the fit. Perhaps on the non-cheapies, it was screwed
on "too tight".

martin lynch wrote:
> Is there 2 different sizes for Schrader valves?
>
> I purchased one of those mini-pumps, made by Schwinn, and I could not
> get the pump to fit onto the valves of any of my bikes. The valve was
> too large to fit into the pump.
>
> I then returned it and got a Bell stand-up pump. Same problem.
>
> On the third try, got some cheapo generic foot pump, and it fits the
> valves on my bikes.
>
> What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot -- flip the lever
> straight to open hole, place over valve, then bend the lever at 90
> degress to tighten the hole over the valve, right?

I have a bike with wheels that have holes large enough for a schrader valve to fit in, but the valve needs to be as long as a presta valve to go all the way through the whole so I can properly pump up my bike. No one seems to know what I'm talking about when I say "I need a tube with a longer schrader valve, and it has to be 700x38c." Because that's exactly what my bike needs, unless the skinnier presta valve can go in without problems.

Garrett Carlson said:
I have a bike with wheels that have holes large enough for a schrader valve to fit in, but the valve needs to be as long as a presta valve to go all the way through the whole so I can properly pump up my bike. No one seems to know what I'm talking about when I say "I need a tube with a longer schrader valve, and it has to be 700x38c." Because that's exactly what my bike needs, unless the skinnier presta valve can go in without problems.
You can use a presta valve along with a an adapter that fits in the whole in the rim sized for a Schrader valve: in the rim

I know exactly what you're talking about. For example, Schwinn made a line of hybrid bikes that were sold at Costco, with deep-dish rims that had big holes for schraeder valves. Of course, Costco doesn't stock replacement parts and the days of the Schwinn store that had everything you needed to keep your Schwinn rolling are decades past.

Here's what you need, a 700c X 35-48 mm tube with a long Schraeder valve, available at your local bike shop from QBP. They're out of stock right now, but this, too, shall pass. In the mean time, Alienator's suggestion is a good Plan B.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I know exactly what you're talking about. For example, Schwinn made a line of hybrid bikes that were sold at Costco, with deep-dish rims that had big holes for schraeder valves. Of course, Costco doesn't stock replacement parts and the days of the Schwinn store that had everything you needed to keep your Schwinn rolling are decades past.

Here's what you need, a 700c X 35-48 mm tube with a long Schraeder valve, available at your local bike shop from QBP. They're out of stock right now, but this, too, shall pass. In the mean time, Alienator's suggestion is a good Plan B.
HMmmm ...

While it may not be trendy enough for Boulder clientele, I believe that any store which carries Trek should be able to carry "Bontrager" tubes with either Presta & Schrader valve stems ... and so, I think that a local "Trek" store (that is, a store which carries Trek bikes) can probably order some "Bontrager" tubes (vs. generic tubes listed in the QBP catalog) with long Schrader valves for those who may need them.

Bontrager does not make or brand 700c tubes that have long Schraeder valves. A couple years ago we used to need about four of these tubes per year, and we'd always order a few more for ourselves and for the customer. Lately, though, I haven't seen the demand. Incidentally, Bontrager's 26 X 2.00-2.20 tubes have been coming with a longer Schraeder valve. They're currently out of stock, though.

Those generic tubes that come from QBP, branded Q-Tubes, are as good as Bontrager's, and probably come from the same factory. And for staples like tubes, even for products that do correlate to Trek bikes, QBP is often better stocked than Trek.

Alf, you'd probably be surprised to learn that the majority of our service business is keeping old hybrids and mountain bikes alive for customers who commute and run errands on these things. And as much as I would like to teach these people how to fix their own flats and adjust their own brakes and derailleurs, or get superior shifting performance using Campagnolo levers, they simply don't have the time or the tools or the space. They are happy to have us get them rolling again in a timely manner at a fair price.

[...]

Thanks for clarifying the limitation in Bontrager's line of inner tubes includes ...

BTW. Despite how it may seem to some people, I'm all about simplicity when it comes to bicycles ... and, IMO, my bikes are configured to be the easier ("faster") for ME to work on ...

Consequently, after 'I' realized the inconvenience (for me) of rims which needed tubes with either longer stems (specifically, MAVIC CXP-14 rims ... THAT indicates how long ago it was) or extensions, I have avoided deep dish rims.
FWIW. Here's something that I just looked up this morning (via a Yahoo search) which you may want to consider stocking for your customers:

I know that there used to be a premium for inner tubes with longer Presta stems, so if that is also the case for inner tubes with stems which have longer Schrader valves then the added cost of the valve extensions will be offset after a few tubes.

Of course, if the cost for the inner tubes with the longer Schrader valve stems is the same as for inner tubes with regular length stems then it may seem like an unwise purchase by the end user.

[...]

BTW. THAT is an interesting observation ...

But, I suspect that unless the timing is just right when a person comes into any bike shop then when a bike is brought in for service that the cyclist possibly-or-probably often (obviously, not always) has to wait at least 15 minutes before the bike is ticketed for service ...

  • trip to the shop if they are lucky, then they can stop in after work/classes
  • otherwise, a dedicated trip to the shop will be necessary
[*] wait for service order to be written
  • OR, if they are exceedingly lucky, the work can be done while they wait
[*] return trip to the shop to pick up the bike
  • certainly, another 5+ minutes waiting to pay

Most DIY just takes less time, IMO, than a trip (or, two) to the LBS; particularly, after the introduction of non-serviceable cartridge bearing which preclude a "tune-up" that involves repacking the bearings.

Certainly, for most work most of the tools needed, now, are minimal ...

  1. scissors (for handlebar tape ... everyone should have at least ONE pair in their house/apartment)
  2. Allen Wrenches -- an inexpensive L-bend Metric set will certainly suffice
  3. a chain tool IS OPTIONAL ... I guess that some people really may not be coordinated enough to re-secure the links
  4. possibly (or, eventually) a Cassette tool is another OPTIONAL TOOL (they should already own an adjustable Crescent Wrench if they are older than 21 years old) because most people will not have the need to change their Cassette.

  • while 'I' don't think that it is a big deal to replace cables-or-housing, it does require another tool to trim the cable's length + a file to de-burr the end of the housing if a new length of coiled housing is being trimmed

How much space does it take to work on a bike?

  • I have two work stands ... one is a vintage PARK work stand the (only) one where the clamping handle faces forward
[*] the other is a "portable" Y-stand which simply supports the BB
  • I use this work stand 99.99% of the time
I just need the space for the bike + a place to stand OR sit (preferred) + my arm's length.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Most DIY just takes less time, IMO, than a trip (or, two) to the LBS; particularly, after the introduction of non-serviceable cartridge bearing which preclude a "tune-up" that involves repacking the bearings.

. . .
How much space does it take to work on a bike?
Surely, you must understand there are people out there who are incipiently inferior to alfeng and need to be served at their own levels.

Look at it this way, alf. If everyone were as smart as you, you wouldn't have anything to say to anybody.