Schrader valve stem air leak

Donutey

Jun 17, 2007
I bought an old bike at a garage sale that has tubular tires with schrader valves. One of the valves has a small cut on the side near where the stem pokes through the rim, unsurprisingly when I tried to air up the tire, air leaks out of this cut in the rubber. Any chance this is repairable? I tried unsuccessfully to patch the spot, but it's too close to the rim without taking off the tire.

Thanks in advance.

Donutey said:
I bought an old bike at a garage sale that has tubular tires with schrader valves. One of the valves has a small cut on the side near where the stem pokes through the rim, unsurprisingly when I tried to air up the tire, air leaks out of this cut in the rubber. Any chance this is repairable? I tried unsuccessfully to patch the spot, but it's too close to the rim without taking off the tire.

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure this isn't a clincher? I've personally never heard or seen a schraeder tubular tyre before.

Anyway, what you descibe sounds like a leak in the tube, so to keep it short - if its anywhere near the valve stem, patching becomes difficult, and even if you do, it can be unreliable since this part of the tube is subjected to more stresses than a patch some distance from the stem.

In this instance, it would probably be best to replace the tube.

n

Given that it's an old bike, replacing the tubes and tyres are probably the minimum you should do to get it back on the road. Yes, rubber do degrade over time.

Donutey said:

Thanks in advance.

Tubes are cheap, just replace.