Schroeder Iron

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/sep03/sep22news2

    It really sounds like he is someone who love the sport, but just can't continue spending the money
    he has. It's too bad that he couldn't find a co-sponsor, or new lead sponsor. I don't think that
    cycling sponsorship is cost effective here in the US, unless you are directly related to the
    bicycle market. Sad, but true? Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    Cycling sponsorship is all about image advertising. I highly doubt Saturn sold a ton of cars just because it sponsored the best domestic pro cycling team.

  3. On 09/21/2003 08:26 PM, in article [email protected], "Time Cop"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cycling sponsorship is all about image advertising. I highly doubt Saturn sold a ton of cars just
    > because it sponsored the best domestic pro cycling team.

    It's why my wife and I bought a Saturn instead of a Honda or Toyota.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  4. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

    > On 09/21/2003 08:26 PM, in article [email protected], "Time Cop"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Cycling sponsorship is all about image advertising. I highly doubt Saturn sold a ton of cars just
    >>because it sponsored the best domestic pro cycling team.
    >

    > It's why my wife and I bought a Saturn instead of a Honda or Toyota.

    it must have worked somehow since they stayed in for 12 frikkin years.....

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BB93D18E.E8C3%[email protected]...
    > On 09/21/2003 08:26 PM, in article [email protected], "Time Cop"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Cycling sponsorship is all about image advertising. I highly doubt Saturn sold a ton of cars
    > > just because it sponsored the best domestic pro cycling team.
    >

    > It's why my wife and I bought a Saturn instead of a Honda or Toyota.

    Well then, they did sell about a ton of car because of their cycling sponsorship.
    --
    Marty

  6. Two Spoke

    Two Spoke Guest

    Same reason a friend of mine bought a Mercury over a Jeep in 2001 Same reason I use USPS priority
    mail over FedEx ground to ship small packages.

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BB93D18E.E8C3%[email protected]>...
    > On 09/21/2003 08:26 PM, in article [email protected], "Time Cop"
    > <[email protected]lingforums.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Cycling sponsorship is all about image advertising. I highly doubt Saturn sold a ton of cars
    > > just because it sponsored the best domestic pro cycling team.
    >

    > It's why my wife and I bought a Saturn instead of a Honda or Toyota.

  7. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Saturn wasn't unrealistically expecting to actually drive sales conversions by sponsoring the team,
    but they did know that for a fairly low basic investment they could get their brand mentioned in a
    hell of a lot of media mentions that they otherwise would not have gotten.

    I'm sure they have closely monitored the name recognition of their brand over the past 12 years and
    have found that the Saturn name has enough Equity of its own now that they really don't need to
    invest several million dollars for what boils down to the occaisional flashing of their logo and the
    mention of the Saturn name. They've accomplished their goal.

    Schroeder on the other hand, was essentially tossing his money away. And why? Because he likes bike
    racing? He is not a nationwide brand.

    Heck, I like bike racing. I have my own business too. But I know that with the equity level of my
    own brand, that sponsoring a pro cycling team would not help me in any way other than to stroke
    my own ego.

    news:<[email protected]>...