Schwalbe Marathon XR Tires - Info Please

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lenny Taylor, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Lenny Taylor

    Lenny Taylor Guest

    I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike) and
    have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience with
    them, and are they available in the US?

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. I met a rather eccentric American cycling couple in Germany last year and they had been cycling
    continuously for 5 years. She had one of those on her front wheel, with 10000 miles on it and it
    looked fine!

  3. Pann McCuaig

    Pann McCuaig Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Lenny Taylor wrote:
    > I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
    > and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
    > with them, and are they available in the US?

    Go to

    http://search.bikelist.org/

    and search for "schwalbe marathon" on the touring list ([email protected]). There's a fairly long
    and informative thread.

    Luck, Pann
    --
    geek by nature, Linux by choice L I N U X .~. The Choice /V\ http://www.ourmanpann.com/linux/ of a
    GNU /( )\ Generation ^^-^^

  4. Lenny Taylor wrote:
    > I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
    > and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
    > with them, and are they available in the US?

    My personal experience with these tires is: they are excellent. Far better then e. g. the
    Continental Goliat which is kevlear reinforced as well. Can't say how they compare to the standard
    touring tire in the US, the Continetal Top Touring.

    Haven't had a single flat in 3 years (lot's of touring, gravel roads and worse; approx. 20000 km =
    12.000 (?) miles).

    Durability? Normally I have to replace the rear tire after about 5000 miles, front tire after about
    10000 miles.

    Availability? Well, when I bought my bike in Cannada the bike dealer was able to get them. But don't
    ask me the details, sorry.

    --
    cu, Michael

    ----------------------
    | [email protected] |
    ----------------------

  5. Lenny Taylor wrote in message ...
    >I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike) and
    >have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience with
    >them, and are they available in the US? check schwalbetire.com- you can buy them right from the web
    >site, md Thanks in advance

  6. anon

    anon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:41:22 +0100, Michael Zimmermann <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lenny Taylor wrote:
    >> I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
    >> and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
    >> with them, and are they available in the US?

    you might also like to look at the new MARATHON PLUS I think its called - talk about a
    thick tread!!!

  7. Andrew Clark wrote:
    > "Lenny Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
    >>and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
    >>with them, and are they available in the US?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >

    > During a 4 week tour of Iceland during the summer the Marathons seemed to be the most common
    > choice of experienced heavy duty tourists. Most people vere very happy with them.
    >
    > I was an exception using Vredestein Spiders which were also excellent (no punctures) but had a
    > folding Marathon XR as a backup. The Schwalbes have a very good reputation, I don't think you
    > would have a problem with them on anything that could be called a "road".
    >
    > Andrew

    Andrew has identified two most excellent tires. I have experience of both on my mountain/touring
    bike in Australia and find them excellent. We also have 20" Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem Bike
    Friday which is used for loaded touring, also with trouble free service.

    My opinion is that the Marathons are more road friendly than the Spiders. They are lighter and seem
    to roll better with no obvious negatives. The Spiders are really rugged tires, which I would choose
    if I knew that I was going to be riding in extremely tire unfriendly conditions.

    Alan.

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Andrew Clark wrote:
    > > "Lenny Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
    > >>and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
    > >>with them, and
    are
    > >>they available in the US?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance
    > >

    > > During a 4 week tour of Iceland during the summer the Marathons seemed
    to be
    > > the most common choice of experienced heavy duty tourists. Most people
    vere
    > > very happy with them.
    > >
    > > I was an exception using Vredestein Spiders which were also excellent
    (no
    > > punctures) but had a folding Marathon XR as a backup. The Schwalbes have
    > > very good reputation, I don't think you would have a problem with them
    on
    > > anything that could be called a "road".
    > >
    > > Andrew
    > >

    > Andrew has identified two most excellent tires. I have experience of both on my mountain/touring
    > bike in Australia and find them excellent. We also have 20" Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem Bike
    > Friday which is used for loaded touring, also with trouble free service.
    >
    > My opinion is that the Marathons are more road friendly than the Spiders. They are lighter and
    > seem to roll better with no obvious negatives. The Spiders are really rugged tires, which I would
    > choose if I knew that I was going to be riding in extremely tire unfriendly conditions.

    Aha ... Marathons or Marahon XRs

    The first is slightly lighter and more "on road". They look OK for going on tracks etc., but unless
    you do a lot of tracks and stuff (ie a few weeks in iceland!) the Marathon is fine.

    I've yet to try Marathons on my heavily glass strewn commute.