Schwalbe Marathon XR Tires - Info Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lenny Taylor

I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike) and
have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience with
them, and are they available in the US?

Thanks in advance

I met a rather eccentric American cycling couple in Germany last year and they had been cycling
continuously for 5 years. She had one of those on her front wheel, with 10000 miles on it and it
looked fine!

In article <[email protected]>, Lenny Taylor wrote:
> I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
> and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
> with them, and are they available in the US?

Go to

http://search.bikelist.org/

and search for "schwalbe marathon" on the touring list ([email protected]). There's a fairly long
and informative thread.

Luck, Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice L I N U X .~. The Choice /V\ http://www.ourmanpann.com/linux/ of a
GNU /( )\ Generation ^^-^^

Lenny Taylor wrote:
> I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
> and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
> with them, and are they available in the US?

My personal experience with these tires is: they are excellent. Far better then e. g. the
Continental Goliat which is kevlear reinforced as well. Can't say how they compare to the standard
touring tire in the US, the Continetal Top Touring.

Haven't had a single flat in 3 years (lot's of touring, gravel roads and worse; approx. 20000 km =
12.000 (?) miles).

Durability? Normally I have to replace the rear tire after about 5000 miles, front tire after about
10000 miles.

Availability? Well, when I bought my bike in Cannada the bike dealer was able to get them. But don't
ask me the details, sorry.

--
cu, Michael

----------------------
| [email protected] |
----------------------

Lenny Taylor wrote in message ...
>I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike) and
>have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience with
>them, and are they available in the US? check schwalbetire.com- you can buy them right from the web
>site, md Thanks in advance

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:41:22 +0100, Michael Zimmermann <[email protected]> wrote:

>Lenny Taylor wrote:
>> I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
>> and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
>> with them, and are they available in the US?
>
you might also like to look at the new MARATHON PLUS I think its called - talk about a
thick tread!!!

Andrew Clark wrote:
> "Lenny Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
>>and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
>>with them, and are they available in the US?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>
>
> During a 4 week tour of Iceland during the summer the Marathons seemed to be the most common
> choice of experienced heavy duty tourists. Most people vere very happy with them.
>
> I was an exception using Vredestein Spiders which were also excellent (no punctures) but had a
> folding Marathon XR as a backup. The Schwalbes have a very good reputation, I don't think you
> would have a problem with them on anything that could be called a "road".
>
> Andrew
>
>
Andrew has identified two most excellent tires. I have experience of both on my mountain/touring
bike in Australia and find them excellent. We also have 20" Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem Bike
Friday which is used for loaded touring, also with trouble free service.

My opinion is that the Marathons are more road friendly than the Spiders. They are lighter and seem
to roll better with no obvious negatives. The Spiders are really rugged tires, which I would choose
if I knew that I was going to be riding in extremely tire unfriendly conditions.

Alan.

"Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Clark wrote:
> > "Lenny Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I've been looking for a good set of tires for my loaded touring setup (converted mountain bike)
> >>and have seen some mention of the Schwalbe Marathon XR tires. Has anyone here had any experience
> >>with them, and
are
> >>they available in the US?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance
> >
> >
> > During a 4 week tour of Iceland during the summer the Marathons seemed
to be
> > the most common choice of experienced heavy duty tourists. Most people
vere
> > very happy with them.
> >
> > I was an exception using Vredestein Spiders which were also excellent
(no
> > punctures) but had a folding Marathon XR as a backup. The Schwalbes have
a
> > very good reputation, I don't think you would have a problem with them
on
> > anything that could be called a "road".
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> >
> Andrew has identified two most excellent tires. I have experience of both on my mountain/touring
> bike in Australia and find them excellent. We also have 20" Schwalbe Marathons on our tandem Bike
> Friday which is used for loaded touring, also with trouble free service.
>
> My opinion is that the Marathons are more road friendly than the Spiders. They are lighter and
> seem to roll better with no obvious negatives. The Spiders are really rugged tires, which I would
> choose if I knew that I was going to be riding in extremely tire unfriendly conditions.

Aha ... Marathons or Marahon XRs

The first is slightly lighter and more "on road". They look OK for going on tracks etc., but unless
you do a lot of tracks and stuff (ie a few weeks in iceland!) the Marathon is fine.

I've yet to try Marathons on my heavily glass strewn commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.