Schwalbe tire availability

Michael Baldwin

Guest
I cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe North America and my LBS's
are clueless regarding the following:

Is the Schwalbe SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway tire in 26 x 1 3/8 available
in the U.S. ?

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

On Aug 25, 5:42 am, [email protected] (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
> I cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe North America and my LBS's
> are clueless regarding the following:
>
> Is the Schwalbe SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway tire in 26 x 1 3/8 available
> in the U.S. ?
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Don't know, but with that northern europe sounding name, they must be
really good. I think the best have to be the verdestein, or something
like that. Never had one, but with that name, they ought to kick ass.
the worse are clearly chen shin or something like that. with that
Taiwanese name they probably suck. I have some hutchinsons that I
bought for about 8 bucks. They say, France and pro quality. I am sure
that they are the best. I canreally feelt eh suppleness, grip,
elasticity, low rolling resistance, adherence, increased aerodynamics,
etc.

Andres

could be schwalbe hid the speedway under another name like 'fast fred'

"Michael Baldwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe North America and my LBS's
> are clueless regarding the following:
>
> Is the Schwalbe SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway tire in 26 x 1 3/8 available
> in the U.S. ?
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

I have ordered directly from Schwalbe North American several times. I
telephone them and they are very helpful.

I am confused by you saying you "cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe
North America". When you call them do they say they don't know if they have
this particular model?

I quick perusal/search of their site: http://schwalbetires.com/ does not
reveal any tire with a name similar to SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway.

BobT

[email protected] wrote:
> Don't know, but with that northern europe sounding name, they must be
> really good. I think the best have to be the verdestein, or something
> like that. Never had one, but with that name, they ought to kick ass.
> the worse are clearly chen shin or something like that. with that
> Taiwanese name they probably suck. I have some hutchinsons that I
> bought for about 8 bucks. They say, France and pro quality. I am sure
> that they are the best. I canreally feelt eh suppleness, grip,
> elasticity, low rolling resistance, adherence, increased aerodynamics,
> etc.

Uh, schwalbe ("swallow") tires are made by CST/Cheng Shin. No more
'German' than an Ikea piece is Swedish.

As are several other CST products with other labels: Maxxis,
Specialized, WalMart, Primo, Schwinn etc.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Michael Baldwin wrote:

> I cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe North America
> and my LBS's are clueless regarding the following:
>
> Is the Schwalbe SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway tire in 26 x 1 3/8
> available in the U.S. ?

http://tinyurl.com/28tp6g

If that's the one, maybe quote article number 11140317.

John

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Uh, schwalbe ("swallow") tires are made by CST/Cheng Shin. No more
> 'German' than an Ikea piece is Swedish.
>
> As are several other CST products with other labels: Maxxis, Specialized,
> WalMart, Primo, Schwinn etc.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's news to me. Do you have anymore info on the history of Schwalbe?
Did they ever make tires in Germany? Do they design and market their tires
but have the manufacturing outsourced?

I really like their "German" tires on my commuter. I now like the Tawainese
versions that I now own!

BobT

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:20:57 -0500, "BobT"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Uh, schwalbe ("swallow") tires are made by CST/Cheng Shin. No more
>> 'German' than an Ikea piece is Swedish.
>>
>> As are several other CST products with other labels: Maxxis, Specialized,
>> WalMart, Primo, Schwinn etc.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>That's news to me. Do you have anymore info on the history of Schwalbe?
>Did they ever make tires in Germany? Do they design and market their tires
>but have the manufacturing outsourced?
>
>I really like their "German" tires on my commuter. I now like the Tawainese
>versions that I now own!
>
>BobT

Dear Bob,

"1973 - The quality of imported bicycle tires from the Far East does
not satisfy German manufacturers. Bohle looks for a higher quality
producer and finds Swallow-Tires in Korea. Thus begins the German
name, SCHWALBE and ensuing success!"

http://schwalbetires.com/company/history

There's more on that page.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Michael Baldwin wrote:
> I cannot get an answer directly from Schwalbe North America and my LBS's
> are clueless regarding the following:
>
> Is the Schwalbe SPEED PRO Bicycle Speedway tire in 26 x 1 3/8 available
> in the U.S. ?
>
> Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

How about trying Peter White's site? He's a Schwalbe dealer.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp

BC
tired

Reply to John - Yes that is the tire. I had originally spotted the tire
on a UK bicycle speedway site. There it was referenced as "speed pro".
- Mike

speedway lookslike a cheap Vapor knock-off or maybe designed for a
differenet surface use said the salesman

wired!