Schwinn 1500 floor pump with stuck plunger

Animator

Mar 17, 2007
My beloved 20 year old, all steel construction, Schwinn 1500 floor pump has decided to choke itself on its rubber plunger. The plunger came clean off the rod and is lodged down at the bottom of the tube. I've not been able to dislodge it.

I'm not impressed with most new floor pumps, and this one was working fine before now, so I'd like to get the thing out somehow, rather than replace it. Does anybody have any ideas how I might get hold of that plunger stuck at the bottom of the tube?

Thanks.

Edit: I just tried blowing it out with an air compressor set at 110 lbs., with no luck.

Check valve in the base, upstream of the hose? If so, remove and apply shop air again.

Also, try inserting the pump rod or a wood dowel into the rubber piston cup's center hole and keep the open end of the pump pointed in a safe direction as you apply shop air to the output port in the base of the pump.

http://store.todson.com/store/check-valve-sport-trkjb041.html

This is one style of check valve. Other brands use a ball and spring or just a loose ball. Another type is a tapered needle style. If this is in place, your shop air can't reach the cylinder.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Check valve in the base, upstream of the hose? If so, remove and apply shop air again.

Also, try inserting the pump rod or a wood dowel into the rubber piston cup's center hole and keep the open end of the pump pointed in a safe direction as you apply shop air to the output port in the base of the pump.

http://store.todson.com/store/check-valve-sport-trkjb041.html

This is one style of check valve. Other brands use a ball and spring or just a loose ball. Another type is a tapered needle style. If this is in place, your shop air can't reach the cylinder.
Thanks. I just tried what you suggested, but I can't find a way to hold the valve open, or remove it (nor even see it for that matter). My next attempt will be to unscrew the main tube from the base again. It looks like it might be possible if I can apply enough torque. Vice grips and a c-clamp didn't do the trick in my first attempt.

Try using a shop vac on the top of the cylinder. Just maybe a little vacuum may raise the piston upward.

Originally Posted by Animator .

My beloved 20 year old, all steel construction, Schwinn 1500 floor pump has decided to choke itself on its rubber plunger. The plunger came clean off the rod and is lodged down at the bottom of the tube. I've not been able to dislodge it.
Either let GRAVITY & TIME do the work ... invert the pump & the plunger MAY-or-MAY-NOT eventually move back toward the top ...

OR (if it is not threaded), fish it out with a wire coat hanger ...

IF it is threaded (i.e., the end of the rod is threaded), then try to thread the rod OR equivalent back into the plunger.

BTW. I don't know what your Schwinn pump looks like, BUT many floor pumps can be disassembled ... so, there is a chance that the main air chamber is simply screwed into the pump's base.

I finally fixed it by unscrewing the main tube from the base, as suggested here. It wasn't easy to to do. There were two clamps,a large vice-grips ,and a convincer (rubber mallet) involved. By the way, this pump has no valve; it relies on the shape of the rubber piston to open and close the seal. Thanks for the help.

Glad to here that you were able to disassemble pump & repair it!