Schwinn 700c hybrid from Target rides better then a new TREK 7300?

chaznad

Sep 6, 2007
You guys will think im crazy ,
my wife and i are getting into riding , we decided a hybrid bike was the right bike for us for only 10-20 mile rides. We bought her bike last week at Target ( womens Schwinn 700c trailway hybrid for $200 , here is the link to it )
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XxTBFYKXL._SS260_.jpg

I decided to hold off and do a little research before making my decision. Im 6'5, 34" inseam . today i went to a local trek dealer that had a 2008 model trek 7300 with a 22.5" frame , set it all up for my size , it fit and rode well but call me crazy , i think my wifes bike rides better. It seems smoother and more comfortable. so now i think im going to purchase this... its a schwinn pathway hybrid for $250 at wally world..
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/59/0003867559788_215X215.jpg

without bashing ;) do you guys know why it felt like a better ride

Could have been the tire pressure. Or anything else. Just buy the bike that you prefer.

The upright riding position of a hybrid is probably a great thing for those with back problems. But for the rest of us, riding upright just creates more wind resistance.

I'm not trying to curb your enthusiasm, but make sure that the Wally World bike fits before you buy it. Even just ten or twenty miles on an ill fitting bike can be pure torture. Most folks who buy a bike at a big box store stop riding because the bike doesn't fit correctly. You are a little taller than most people and Wally World normally sells with an erroneous "one size fits all" policy. Therefore, be very wary about the size.

chaznad said:
without bashing ;) do you guys know why it felt like a better ride
$5 sweat pants feel "better" than a $2000 Armani suit, but I wouldn't wear them to a job interview.

There is a market for both. Buy the bike that fits your needs and the one you'll ride more often.

Scotty_Dog said:
$5 sweat pants feel "better" than a $2000 Armani suit, but I wouldn't wear them to a job interview.

There is a market for both. Buy the bike that fits your needs and the one you'll ride more often.
I wouldn't wear a $2000 Armani suit to an interview either.

Hell, I wouldn't wear a suit that pricey anywhere. I'd cover it in plastic and hang it on the wall.

OK. Who am I kidding ? I couldn't afford a suit that pricey. :D

I wouldn't buy a $2000 suit. In the hypothetical senerio where I had 2 grand, I could find much better things to spend it on.

I also think that you should try out a Fuji Crosstown. Fenders could prove useful if riding under wet conditions. Plus the bikes have front and seatpost suspension for the smooth ride that you seem to like.

You didn't say how much you weigh, but at 6'5", it's probably pretty substantial. I would think those 24-spoke wheels might have durability issues.

SoThere said:
You didn't say how much you weigh, but at 6'5", it's probably pretty substantial. I would think those 24-spoke wheels might have durability issues.
I don't know about the durability issues with low spoke count wheels. I rode a set of 16 spoke Alex Wheels for two years when I weighed close to 260! I never had a problem with them. Now I am just a bit below 200 and ride a set of 20 spoke wheels with no problems for the past 6 months. Maybe I'm living a charmed life, but I really think that that the wheel durability issue is a little over blown.

I have had the pathway for 4 or 5 months now and i love it. I didnt care for the big clunky seat so i bought one from specialized which looks more uncomfortable but doesnt rub on long trips. I also bought some aerobars and mounted them to the handlebars so i wouldnt always have to ride the upright position. I average 12-16 mph and its real smooth. As for as the local bike shops needing your business, just buy what you like, can afford and will ride the most. Dont spend more than what you have to buy more than what you need.