Schwinn bringing back the Paramount

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
I don't know abow anyone else, but having grown up on Schwinns and having a Paramount P-13-9 as one of my first road racing bicycles, this is good news to me.

I'll be interested to see what the 953 Reynolds steel/lugged variant turns out looking like.

Yeah, I know it's no longer the genuine, original 'Schwinn' (ala Motobecane and Windsor), but I'm glad to see the name survive and at least the steel frames will be built here in the U.S.A.

From: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2008/news/07-23
Schwinn revives Paramount badge (again!)

Schwinn will revive the Paramount nameplate yet again
Schwinn will bring back its heralded Paramount nameplate once again with three range-topping models for 2009. The Paramount Series 8 and Series 9 bikes both feature so-called 'N'Litened Black Label' carbon frames and forks and some of the latest must-have technologies. The front end will incorporate a tapered-and-oversized 1 1/8"-to-1 1/4" steerer tube for better steering and braking precision while press-fit bottom bracket cups shed some grams and allow for a wider and stiffer down tube. The Series 9 will also include an integrated seat mast.

Both bikes will be SRAM-equipped with the Series 9 sporting the top-end Red group along with Mavic R-SYS wheels, FSA carbon bar and stem, and San Marco Zoncolan saddle. The Series 8 will be more of a workhorse rig with its SRAM Rival group Mavic Aksium hoops. Pricing is yet to be announced for either one but is expected to be decidedly high-value based on previous model years.

Perhaps the most intriguing Paramount frame, though, is the new steel model. We don't have much information just yet other than that it uses Reynolds' latest 953 tubing and lugged joints and will be fully hand-built in Waterford, Wisconsin. Sorry, we don't have any images to show you just yet, either, but we're guessing its classic aesthetics and modern materials will likely appeal to more than a handful of riders.

CAMPYBOB said:
Perhaps the most intriguing Paramount frame, though, is the new steel model. We don't have much information just yet other than that it uses Reynolds' latest 953 tubing and lugged joints and will be fully hand-built in Waterford, Wisconsin. Sorry, we don't have any images to show you just yet, either, but we're guessing its classic aesthetics and modern materials will likely appeal to more than a handful of riders.
If it's Reynolds steel and made in Waterford by Waterford Precision Cycles, then it's a Paramount.

I suppose it's possible that factory may actually still have some old Schwinn personnel or tooling.

garage sale GT said:
If it's Reynolds steel and made in Waterford by Waterford Precision Cycles, then it's a Paramount.

I suppose it's possible that factory may actually still have some old Schwinn personnel or tooling.

Along with Richard.....he tells me he is gonna make 50, numbered lugged frames, then onto tig welded. I am glad he is allowed to actually put his name on a bike frame in spite of the 'rep' Schwinn has gotten in the past few years.