Schwinn derailler mounting?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Allen McBroom, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Help requested from a newbie (47 yrs old, but still a newbie). Recently changed the rear tube on a
    Schwinn Frontier MTB. The rear derailleur gears are mountd, then fixed in place with a mounting
    bolt and a special half circle nut. I've studied this until I'm blue in the face and very
    srustrated, but can't seem to get the nut and bolt to line up with the hole in the frame and the
    derailleur at the same time. Any hints, suggestions, or online pictures y'all could point me to?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

    --
    Allen McBroom http://www.backstagemusic.com Dealer for Taylor, Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Mackie,
    Takamine,Pearl, SWR, Dano, EV, AudioTechnica http://www.first-umc.org A Methodist fellowship in

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Allen McBroom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Help requested from a newbie (47 yrs old, but still a newbie). Recently changed the rear tube
    > on a Schwinn Frontier MTB. The rear derailleur gears are mountd, then fixed in place with a
    > mounting bolt and
    > special half circle nut. I've studied this until I'm blue in the face and very srustrated, but
    > can't seem to get the nut and bolt to line up with
    the
    > hole in the frame and the derailleur at the same time. Any hints, suggestions, or online pictures
    > y'all could point me to?

    The half-moon piece goes on the inside of the frame end in the axle slot. It is stepped and the
    raised center sits right in the axle slot The bolt goes across the axle slot. The outer plate sits
    flat on the outside of the frame end. There is a raised lip on the adapter plate at the end of its
    slot. Tat raised part goes in the axle slot to locate the adapter.

    When using one of these adpters, (Sheldon calls them a "claw") the wheel goes all the way back on
    the right side frame end. The axle will end up somewhere in the middle of the left frame end.

    (I often see these mounted in the mudguard/ rack eyelet!)

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CLAW.JPG
    http://www.sheldonbrown.org/gloss_a.html#adaptor http://www.sheldonbrown.org/images/adaptorclaw.gif

  3. Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that "A Muzi" <[email protected]> scribed upon its pages in
    news:[email protected]:

    > http://www.sheldonbrown.org/gloss_a.html#adaptor

    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it!!!!!!!!! Thanks, thanks, thank! A photo's worth a thousand
    words for certain!