Schwinn Homegrown Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike

bonirl said:
Hi, has anyone any experience of this Schwinn MTB? http://www.webshots.com/search?query=Schwinn+Homegrown+Carbon+Fiber+Mountain+Bike).
This would be my first full suspension bike so I'm open to advise on buying this (my local deaer has a 2nd hand one in great nick and at a good price. It's fitted out with good Group set and other mechs and does not have too many miles up. It'ds a few years old which worries me. Let me know! Ta.
I don't have experience with the carbon fiber model, but my first full suspension bike was an aluminum Homegrown full suspension. I purchased it used, with an 8 speed XT groupset and a Judy SL fork. I now use it as a back-up bike and my wife occasionally rides it as well.

In my opinion, it's a well built full suspension bike. One warning though, the suspension pivot bushings are very hard to find these days. Because Schwinn was bought-out, they don't supply specific parts for these bikes anymore. I sometimes see bushings for sale on Ebay, and have heard of people getting custom made bushings.

Tell me about the actual components on the bike you're considering, as well as the asking price, and I'll tell you if it's a deal or not.

Scotty_Dog said:
I don't have experience with the carbon fiber model, but my first full suspension bike was an aluminum Homegrown full suspension. I purchased it used, with an 8 speed XT groupset and a Judy SL fork. I now use it as a back-up bike and my wife occasionally rides it as well.

In my opinion, it's a well built full suspension bike. One warning though, the suspension pivot bushings are very hard to find these days. Because Schwinn was bought-out, they don't supply specific parts for these bikes anymore. I sometimes see bushings for sale on Ebay, and have heard of people getting custom made bushings.

Tell me about the actual components on the bike you're considering, as well as the asking price, and I'll tell you if it's a deal or not.
Thanks for that! :) There's a full XT group set, mavic wheels/hubs, Answer Manitou SX fork & RockShox deluxe rear shock. The asking price is ~ €600 (~ $US800 ). It is in very good nick, doesn't have many miles clocked up and has never ben off road (I'm happy with the history!). ........ta!:confused:

bonirl said:
Thanks for that! :) There's a full XT group set, mavic wheels/hubs, Answer Manitou SX fork & RockShox deluxe rear shock. The asking price is ~ €600 (~ $US800 ). It is in very good nick, doesn't have many miles clocked up and has never ben off road (I'm happy with the history!). ........ta!:confused:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away on vacation.

$US800 seems high to me for the XT group on a bike this old. Is it 9 speed? In very good condition, I'd pay $US600 tops.

Scotty_Dog said:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away on vacation.

$US800 seems high to me for the XT group on a bike this old. Is it 9 speed? In very good condition, I'd pay $US600 tops.
Thanks for the advice. It's in great nic and has the 9 speed cassette. I expect I'll get it for close to the $600. He also has a GIANT XTC hardtail (2006 model) coming in for around the same money ($800). So I'll see how that goes.

I have the Schwinn home grown carbon frame. I love it. It is light and very responsive. If I had the opportunity to purchase a back up for mine I would. I did replace the rock shox with a marzochi front fork..