Schwinn Le Tour Single Speed Conversion Questions

elitopus1

Aug 6, 2015
Hi
I have been into mountain biking most of my life but have recently picked up a 1975 Schwinn Le Tour 10 speed. I ride around in low gear all the time (its 14t/52t sprockets). I would like to keep the factory crankset and 14t rear sprocket. Does anyone have experience with these bikes and know if this is possible without getting a new crankset? From my research it will be difficult to find a single speed crankset with a large 52t sprocket.
This bike has semi horizontal rear dropouts so I should be able to tension my chain just fine with the single speed.

If a mod can remove the extra postings of this topic that would be great. My bad. Stupid phone

You should be able to pick up a chain tensioner that you can use to replace your rear derailleur.
Then I imagine just remove the sprockets you don't need and put spacers in their place.

What do you plan on doing with the front drive train components?

Does this all make sense? I think it should be possible but it's not going to be an easy conversion.

I would love to see some pics too man if you get it done.

elitopus1 said:
I have been into mountain biking most of my life but have recently picked up a 1975 Schwinn Le Tour 10 speed. I ride around in low gear all the time (its 14t/52t sprockets). I would like to keep the factory crankset and 14t rear sprocket. Does anyone have experience with these bikes and know if this is possible without getting a new crankset? From my research it will be difficult to find a single speed crankset with a large 52t sprocket.
This bike has semi horizontal rear dropouts so I should be able to tension my chain just fine with the single speed.
You are over thinking this ...

FWIW. Here is my mid-70s RALEIGH Grand Prix which I reconfigured as a Single Speed ...

Raleigh_11j09_a2.jpg

Almost everything was replaced (because I had the parts), and only the fork & headset are original to the frame ..

But, YOU don't need to make a wholesale change to the components.

Presuming that your bike is otherwise roadworthy, the odds are that YOU simply need:

BMX chainring bolts ... simply remove the inner chainring & re-attach the 52t chainring with the shorter chainring bolts.

14t BMX Freewheel ... to replace the bike's current 5-speed Freewheel ...

check www.danscomp.com OR eBay OR your LBS ...

I recommend ACS Freewheels with 3/32" Cogs

Cone Wrenches + Spoke Wrench are recommended to re-dish the rear wheel. Whether-or-not you need different axle spacers won't be known until you remove the current Freewheel.

You will also want a CHAIN TOOL (to allow you to adjust the length of the chain by removing unnecessary links) + (optionally) the specific BMX Freewheel tool (for removal).

SOME old Freewheels are impossible to remove with the correct tool because the tool may not be available OR the Freewheel may simply have been on so long that only Herculean strength will remove the Freewheel ...

In that case, removing the old Freewheel without the correct tool can be done by grinding off (!!?!!) the Cogs + outer shell (a hand grinder will work) & the core then removed with a PIPE WRENCH.

Ok thanks for all the great advice. Since I have posted this I have taken the inner sprocket off the front crank. I was able to reuse the origjnal bolts with no problems. I also started working on the rear hub. It looks like I will have to redish it to get a good line from the crank to the rear sprocket.
Im going to check with my local bike shop this weekend to see what parts they might have in stock. I'll post some pictures soon!

alfeng said:
You are over thinking this ...

FWIW. Here is my mid-70s RALEIGH Grand Prix which I reconfigured as a Single Speed ...

Almost everything was replaced (because I had the parts), and only the fork & headset are original to the frame ..

But, YOU don't need to make a wholesale change to the components.

Presuming that your bike is otherwise roadworthy, the odds are that YOU simply need:

BMX chainring bolts ... simply remove the inner chainring & re-attach the 52t chainring with the shorter chainring bolts.

14t BMX Freewheel ... to replace the bike's current 5-speed Freewheel ...

check www.danscomp.com OR eBay OR your LBS ...

I recommend ACS Freewheels with 3/32" Cogs

Cone Wrenches + Spoke Wrench are recommended to re-dish the rear wheel. Whether-or-not you need different axle spacers won't be known until you remove the current Freewheel.

You will also want a CHAIN TOOL (to allow you to adjust the length of the chain by removing unnecessary links) + (optionally) the specific BMX Freewheel tool (for removal).

SOME old Freewheels are impossible to remove with the correct tool because the tool may not be available OR the Freewheel may simply have been on so long that only Herculean strength will remove the Freewheel ...

In that case, removing the old Freewheel without the correct tool can be done by grinding off (!!?!!) the Cogs + outer shell (a hand grinder will work) & the core then removed with a PIPE WRENCH.
Yes this is way better then my response.
Can confirm Dans Comp is the way to go, best BMX webstore I have come across yet.
Plus If you ask they will always toss in freebies like shirts or stickers.