Schwinn pointers

jmv86

Aug 25, 2009
I just bought a schwinn. I think its an '85. Its a Traveler iii made in Japan. Its sorta heavy and I'm new to cycling with road bikes. My main purpose is commuting to campus, but there is also a long road trail on campus that I would like to utilize. Rides no longer than 30 miles. Typical workout would be around 10-15 twice a week and then riding to work. The current wheels need truing and Im debating investing in new rims/tires. What should I look for? Will all rims (27") fit this cycle? How can I check? Any pointers would be lovely. I also need a new seat and a tune-up. But that's an easy trip to the bike shop. Let me know what you think!

JV

Before you buy new rims, you should bring the wheels to a shop to see if they can true them -- they should be able to OR they can sell you a SPOKE WRENCH and explain 'how' to do it.

When the time comes to buy OR lace up a new set of wheels, you may want to think of upgrading the rear wheel to one with a FREEHUB ...

You'll also want to consider having the frame respaced to 130mm ...

OR, consider using 700c wheels (this may require needing new brake calipers with a longer "reach").

BTW. Unless the rims are badly dented, the only reason to replace them is if the rims are steel OR if you want to change to 700c wheels.