Schwinn Quality Pump w. Gauge?

NY Rides

Guest
I thought I had solved the problem of the broken gauge on my LeMond floor
pump by buying a new $19 Schwinn pump that looks the same and seems to have
the same gauge on it.

Excuse me for expecting ANYTHING to work these days, but isn't the gauge
supposed to actually MOVE as you pump air into the tire? Last night, I
believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.

Has anybody owned one of these Schwinn jobbies? Should I bring it back and
buy a real pump?

--
Low Impact Rides In The New York/Long Island/Westchester Area & Beyond
www.geocities.com/NYRides

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:57:49 -0400, "NY Rides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I thought I had solved the problem of the broken gauge on my LeMond floor
>pump by buying a new $19 Schwinn pump that looks the same and seems to have
>the same gauge on it.
>
>Excuse me for expecting ANYTHING to work these days, but isn't the gauge
>supposed to actually MOVE as you pump air into the tire? Last night, I
>believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
>approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.
>
>Has anybody owned one of these Schwinn jobbies? Should I bring it back and
>buy a real pump?

Yes.

R Brickston wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:57:49 -0400, "NY Rides"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I thought I had solved the problem of the broken gauge on my LeMond floor
> >pump by buying a new $19 Schwinn pump that looks the same and seems to have
> >the same gauge on it.
> >
> >Excuse me for expecting ANYTHING to work these days, but isn't the gauge
> >supposed to actually MOVE as you pump air into the tire? Last night, I
> >believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
> >approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.
> >
> >Has anybody owned one of these Schwinn jobbies? Should I bring it back and
> >buy a real pump?

> Yes.

It seems to me that all air pressure gauges fail after X number of
years. It's not really all that hard to replace just the gauge. Most
I've ever seen, are removabe w/ a 4 or 6" cresent wrench. After removal
take it to a well stocked bike shop for an exact thread match & an ~
size match. If the bike shop employes look at you as if you are nuts or
if they don't have such a gauge, or say it's impossible to find, go on
line & google for air pressure gagues. Call a few companies customer
service desks, & I'm sure you'll find good gauge for very little
dineros. If you want one to last for just about next to forever, buy a
sealed one in which the bourdon tube & everything else is in a sealed
oil bath. A little mo pricey but worth it. Also this would be a good
time to take apart your pump, clean it out, lube it, & replace any
seals or "O" rings.

Good luck, John

..

>Has anybody owned one of these Schwinn jobbies? Should I bring it back and
>buy a real pump?

Yes, many functional pumps in the $25 - $35 range, expect to spend slightly
more.

>>>Also this would be a good time to take apart your pump, clean it out,
>>>lube it, & replace any seals or "O" rings.<<<<

I forgot to mention that the Schwinn pump is only a week old.

news:[email protected]...

NY Rides wrote:

> I forgot to mention that the Schwinn pump is only a week old.

I'm refering to your older pump, which I assume is a reasonabily good
pump w/ a
gummed-up pressure gauge. (Gummed-up pressure gauges are very difficult
to clean & to remain accurate due to the fragility of the bourdon
tube.) As I pointed out all mechanical air pressure gauges fail
eventually, unless they are of the sealed varitiey. Return the new one
& get your $ back. Or spend more $ & get a better pump. But, eventually
it's air pressure gauge will fail, so you might as well replace the
pressure gauge on the LeMond. No need to buy a new pump everytime the
gauge fails.

Regards, John

NY Rides wrote:
> I thought I had solved the problem of the broken gauge on my LeMond floor
> pump by buying a new $19 Schwinn pump that looks the same and seems to have
> the same gauge on it.
>
> Excuse me for expecting ANYTHING to work these days, but isn't the gauge
> supposed to actually MOVE as you pump air into the tire? Last night, I
> believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
> approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.
>
> Has anybody owned one of these Schwinn jobbies? Should I bring it back and
> buy a real pump?

I guess that at this price you get some good ones and some bad ones. I'm
sure quality control is not a major effort. I appreciate your
frustration. My Schwinn pump has worked flawlessly for five years. YMMV
obviously.

EJ in NJ

NY Rides wrote:

[snip]

> Last night, I
> believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
> approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.

[snip]

Dear NY,

You could be right.

But you might want to borrow another pump with a gauge (or just a
gauge) and let us know what the pressure actually is, as opposed to
what you believe based on pump strokes, resistance, or pressing your
thumb against the tire.

Any local bike shop should be happy to slap a gauge on the tire.

At 100 psi, many MTB tires would have come off the rim.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

OK, so I returned the Schwinn pump and did some shopping for a replacement
gauge for my old, dependable Lemond. Went to two local bike shops (one a
very large one) and also a pretty large Ace Hardware store. In all three
cases, I was told I couldn't buy a replacement for my original pressure
gauge. "They don't make gauges to buy separately," I was told. "You might
as well buy a new pump for what it would cost you to order one."

So then I went online and plugged in the keywords "bicycle pump air pressure
gauges." As you guys predicted, I got a million hits. Unfortunately, all
the websites offer are pictures of the gauges; no indication as to which
pumps they fit, etc. In fact, most look like standalone gauges, or the type
that gets connected along the air hose. Mine screws into its own little
compartment on the pump.

What do I do now? I'm tired of buying new **** every year. My Lemond pump
is one of the very few items I've purchased in recent times that has
actually performed to a respectable standard. I can't see throwing it away
and plunking down $30-40 on a new pump made of even cheaper plastic and
having a cylinder 3/4 of the size. You've all been very helpful, but I'm
asking you to go an extra step!

Where, exactly, have you seen these replacement "insert-type" air gauges?

Thank you.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> NY Rides wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Last night, I
>> believe I cranked about 100psi into my rear MTB tire, as the gauge barely
>> approached 45psi. Something looks wrong with this thing.

> [snip]
>
> Dear NY,
>
> You could be right.
>
> But you might want to borrow another pump with a gauge (or just a
> gauge) and let us know what the pressure actually is, as opposed to
> what you believe based on pump strokes, resistance, or pressing your
> thumb against the tire.
>
> Any local bike shop should be happy to slap a gauge on the tire.
>
> At 100 psi, many MTB tires would have come off the rim.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:11:14 -0400, "NY Rides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, so I returned the Schwinn pump and did some shopping for a replacement
>gauge for my old, dependable Lemond. Went to two local bike shops (one a
>very large one) and also a pretty large Ace Hardware store. In all three
>cases, I was told I couldn't buy a replacement for my original pressure
>gauge. "They don't make gauges to buy separately," I was told. "You might
>as well buy a new pump for what it would cost you to order one."
>
>So then I went online and plugged in the keywords "bicycle pump air pressure
>gauges." As you guys predicted, I got a million hits. Unfortunately, all
>the websites offer are pictures of the gauges; no indication as to which
>pumps they fit, etc. In fact, most look like standalone gauges, or the type
>that gets connected along the air hose. Mine screws into its own little
>compartment on the pump.
>
>What do I do now? I'm tired of buying new **** every year. My Lemond pump
>is one of the very few items I've purchased in recent times that has
>actually performed to a respectable standard. I can't see throwing it away
>and plunking down $30-40 on a new pump made of even cheaper plastic and
>having a cylinder 3/4 of the size. You've all been very helpful, but I'm
>asking you to go an extra step!
>
>Where, exactly, have you seen these replacement "insert-type" air gauges?
>
>Thank you.

Dear NY,

The $24.99 yellow steel floor pump with the gauge at the top works
fine for me:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...60&orderby=1&filterby=&view_all=0&searchSize=
or
http://tinyurl.com/h5kon

Here's a $13.90 gauge that screws into a Silca

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...arts&tc=Silca&item_id=SI-73.7&id=626029322891
or
http://tinyurl.com/kcd66

Frankly, you'd probably spend more time and money looking for and
fitting a replacement gauge to your pump, but you can find lots of
them for $25 or less through Froogle:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...nk=pruser&hl=en&price1=0.00&price2=25&btnP=Go
or
http://tinyurl.com/mjqe8

You have to look through them to find the right kind.

You could go to an industrial supply store.

Or you could ask Sheldon Brown about this $18.95 replacement gauge:

http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=details&sku=PU9990
or
http://tinyurl.com/rbkuy

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
"NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, so I returned the Schwinn pump and did some shopping for a replacement
> gauge for my old, dependable Lemond. Went to two local bike shops (one a
> very large one) and also a pretty large Ace Hardware store. In all three
> cases, I was told I couldn't buy a replacement for my original pressure
> gauge. "They don't make gauges to buy separately," I was told. "You might
> as well buy a new pump for what it would cost you to order one."
>
> So then I went online and plugged in the keywords "bicycle pump air pressure
> gauges." As you guys predicted, I got a million hits. Unfortunately, all
> the websites offer are pictures of the gauges; no indication as to which
> pumps they fit, etc. In fact, most look like standalone gauges, or the type
> that gets connected along the air hose. Mine screws into its own little
> compartment on the pump.
>
> What do I do now? I'm tired of buying new **** every year. My Lemond pump
> is one of the very few items I've purchased in recent times that has
> actually performed to a respectable standard. I can't see throwing it away
> and plunking down $30-40 on a new pump made of even cheaper plastic and
> having a cylinder 3/4 of the size. You've all been very helpful, but I'm
> asking you to go an extra step!
>
> Where, exactly, have you seen these replacement "insert-type" air gauges?

Do you live in or near a city? Look in the yellow pages,
and start calling suppliers. I warrant you will find
exactly the place you need. Take the pump to the supplier
and they will sell you the proper gauge.

--
Michael Press

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:40:44 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OK, so I returned the Schwinn pump and did some shopping for a replacement
>> gauge for my old, dependable Lemond. Went to two local bike shops (one a
>> very large one) and also a pretty large Ace Hardware store. In all three
>> cases, I was told I couldn't buy a replacement for my original pressure
>> gauge. "They don't make gauges to buy separately," I was told. "You might
>> as well buy a new pump for what it would cost you to order one."
>>
>> So then I went online and plugged in the keywords "bicycle pump air pressure
>> gauges." As you guys predicted, I got a million hits. Unfortunately, all
>> the websites offer are pictures of the gauges; no indication as to which
>> pumps they fit, etc. In fact, most look like standalone gauges, or the type
>> that gets connected along the air hose. Mine screws into its own little
>> compartment on the pump.
>>
>> What do I do now? I'm tired of buying new **** every year. My Lemond pump
>> is one of the very few items I've purchased in recent times that has
>> actually performed to a respectable standard. I can't see throwing it away
>> and plunking down $30-40 on a new pump made of even cheaper plastic and
>> having a cylinder 3/4 of the size. You've all been very helpful, but I'm
>> asking you to go an extra step!
>>
>> Where, exactly, have you seen these replacement "insert-type" air gauges?

>Do you live in or near a city? Look in the yellow pages,
>and start calling suppliers. I warrant you will find
>exactly the place you need. Take the pump to the supplier
>and they will sell you the proper gauge.

Dear Michael,

"Supplier" is a bit vague for the yellow pages.

I expect that you mean "industrial equipment and supplies."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

>>>Do you live in or near a city?<<<<

I think there's a city close to here. It's called "New York" or something
like that. I should check it out some time :) (Sorry...I couldn't resist
that one!)

Anyway, I think there's going to be a point where it's no longer worth the
time and gas money to replace this thing - especially when a new pump is
probably only about $10 more than the gauge.

Thanks for all your help, everybody.
> [...]

> >> compartment on the pump.
> >>
> >> What do I do now? I'm tired of buying new **** every year. My Lemond pump
> >> is one of the very few items I've purchased in recent times that has
> >> actually performed to a respectable standard. I can't see throwing it away
> >> and plunking down $30-40 on a new pump made of even cheaper plastic and
> >> having a cylinder 3/4 of the size. You've all been very helpful, but I'm
> >> asking you to go an extra step!
> >>
> >> Where, exactly, have you seen these replacement "insert-type" air gauges?

> >Do you live in or near a city? Look in the yellow pages,
> >and start calling suppliers. I warrant you will find
> >exactly the place you need. Take the pump to the supplier
> >and they will sell you the proper gauge.

> Dear Michael,
>
> "Supplier" is a bit vague for the yellow pages.
>
> I expect that you mean "industrial equipment and supplies."

Left as an exercise for the reader.

Compressors-Air&Gas
Welding-Equip&Supls
Gas-Industrial&Medical-Cylinder&Bulk
Industrial-Equip&Supls

I have been in at least one example of each the above
named four types of suppliers, and all sell a good variety
of pressure gauges and fittings.

--
Michael Press