schwinn , raleigh,canadian tire , money avail.$300/350.00

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by rick, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. rick

    rick Guest

    My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take care
    of his thing.

    He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this week
    and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen with
    him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur, wheels,
    most of them come from Taiwan.

    Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    Canadian.?

    We visited a few local bike shop but man, they want an arm and a leg for
    their bike, and I dont know for you but I need my both legs and arms to ride
    ;-)I can understand that their stuff is maybe better but its like any other
    stuff, the sky is the limit and we must stay rational.

    300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like to
    see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?

    Thanks for your input

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:15:20 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:

    >My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    >mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take care
    >of his thing.
    >

    >300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like to
    >see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?
    >
    >Thanks for your input

    How about used? And some money kept aside for a book or two and some
    tools.

    http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/

  3. H. Morgan

    H. Morgan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:15:20 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:

    >My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    >mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take care
    >of his thing.
    >
    >He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this week
    >and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen with
    >him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur, wheels,
    >most of them come from Taiwan.
    >
    >Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    >Canadian.?
    >
    >We visited a few local bike shop but man, they want an arm and a leg for
    >their bike, and I dont know for you but I need my both legs and arms to ride
    >;-)I can understand that their stuff is maybe better but its like any other
    >stuff, the sky is the limit and we must stay rational.
    >
    >300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like to
    >see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?
    >
    >Thanks for your input

    I vote for used also. It will get him the best value for the money. My
    friend's 13 year old son put together a bike last year from used parts
    purchased from enthusiast friends of his father. For about $500CDN he
    has a nice Breezer Lightning with a Chris King headset, Marzocchi
    fork, Thompson seatpost, Salsa skewers, Magura hydraulic rim brakes,
    etc. He is about to purchase 2 wheelsets dirt cheap that I can't use
    any more, as I just switched to disc brakes.
    Not everyone will ask the earth for used stuff, especially if
    they know your son. Local bike clubs might be something he might want
    to join.
    Beware, though. Make sure a used frame you buy is not too old,
    as there are issues with compatibility with more recent component
    upgrades. Poke around the real bike shops a bit more.

  4. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    > mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take

    care
    > of his thing.
    >
    > He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this week
    > and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen with
    > him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur, wheels,
    > most of them come from Taiwan.
    >
    > Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    > Canadian.?

    You can get a great bike used if you're willing to wait a while and look
    around, and if you know something about bikes (or have a friend that does).
    Bikes tend to depreciate rapidly.

    Your son has about $250 USD available ... there isn't a whole lot in that
    price range but there are some good bikes (or for a wee bit more). The
    Giant Cypress ST is a decent bike for around $200 USD:

    http://tinyurl.com/2dqhy

    The best part is that it would be brand new and that would probably go a
    long way to your son being happy with his purchase.

    A couple of my friends have these bikes and like them a lot ... a
    Specialized Hardrock and Trek 4300. They would be around $300 - $350 USD at
    a bike shop respectfully. They also ride them on pavement all the time:

    http://tinyurl.com/37fld
    http://tinyurl.com/2nbxd

    That's just to give you an idea of what's out there. The Trek 3500 would be
    in your sons price range for instance:

    http://tinyurl.com/yt4h8

    Although you can get a great bike used, I would probably suggest looking
    around a bit and deciding on a decent comfort or hybrid from one of those
    companies.

    Good luck,
    C.Q.C.

  5. Well what I would do I take the specs down, and go to local shops
    and ask what they want for the same specs. You will be able to see
    if there is a huge price difference or not. Problem is most of the time
    LBS don't sell very low quality stuff like you might find at superstores,
    so you are comparing apples with oranges. I am sure you could find
    a Norco bike with similar pricing than what Canadian Tire is offering.

    Also remember that once he has the bike, if he needs maintenance
    Canadian Tire has to be the worst place for it. So he will have to
    pay extra to have it done while it might be free or at lower cost
    from the local bike shop.

    Hope this helps

    "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    > mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take

    care
    > of his thing.
    >
    > He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this week
    > and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen with
    > him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur, wheels,
    > most of them come from Taiwan.
    >
    > Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    > Canadian.?
    >
    > We visited a few local bike shop but man, they want an arm and a leg for
    > their bike, and I dont know for you but I need my both legs and arms to

    ride
    > ;-)I can understand that their stuff is maybe better but its like any

    other
    > stuff, the sky is the limit and we must stay rational.
    >
    > 300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like

    > see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?
    >
    > Thanks for your input

  6. GRL

    GRL Guest

    I don't know if you have Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority in
    Canada, but it you do they are a good place to look for a $200 to $250 (US)
    comfort bike that will last. Forget about a hybrid for that money anywhere
    (except used). The reason I mention these stores is because they will have
    somebody on staff in their bike department that will be reasonably
    knowledgeable if not an expert and they have a wide selection. I bought a
    Mongoose at a Dick's 3 years ago for $225 and have put about 10,000 miles on
    it (bottom bracket went out last year and cost me $35 to replace, that's
    about it for repairs). My boss bought a Mongoose at the same Dick's last
    year for $200 and he's been happy with it, too.

    Consumer Reports (this month) says that you can find comfort bikes for $250
    US in some bike shops and if that's true they are certainly worth a look.

    One tip. Everybody seems to want to put front shocks on comfort bikes
    nowadays. Avoid it if you can. Your best bet is an aluminum frame and
    chrome-moly forks. The forks will have some give, but will not waste energy
    like a suspension fork that you don't need for road use.

    The idea of a used bike is a good one if you can find a nice one in your
    area. Big if.

    Good luck.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
    Visual Basic programmer)
    "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    > mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take

    care
    > of his thing.
    >
    > He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this week
    > and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen with
    > him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur, wheels,
    > most of them come from Taiwan.
    >
    > Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    > Canadian.?
    >
    > We visited a few local bike shop but man, they want an arm and a leg for
    > their bike, and I dont know for you but I need my both legs and arms to

    ride
    > ;-)I can understand that their stuff is maybe better but its like any

    other
    > stuff, the sky is the limit and we must stay rational.
    >
    > 300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like

    > see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?
    >
    > Thanks for your input

  7. rick

    rick Guest

    "Daniel Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well what I would do I take the specs down, and go to local shops
    > and ask what they want for the same specs. You will be able to see
    > if there is a huge price difference or not. Problem is most of the time
    > LBS don't sell very low quality stuff like you might find at superstores,
    > so you are comparing apples with oranges. I am sure you could find
    > a Norco bike with similar pricing than what Canadian Tire is offering.
    >
    > Also remember that once he has the bike, if he needs maintenance
    > Canadian Tire has to be the worst place for it. So he will have to
    > pay extra to have it done while it might be free or at lower cost
    > from the local bike shop.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >

    > "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected].
    > > My son want to buy with his own money his first bike.He is 15 and ride
    > > mainly on paved road and nice bike path . He is a serious kid and take

    > care
    > > of his thing.
    > >
    > > He looks now at the hybrid or comfort bike.There is one on sale this

    week
    > > and made by Schwinn. To be honest with you all the brand I have seen

    with
    > > him seems to be made from the same components, brake, derailleur,

    wheels,
    > > most of them come from Taiwan.
    > >
    > > Can you get a decent bike within his price range ( 250.00 to 350.00)
    > > Canadian.?
    > >
    > > We visited a few local bike shop but man, they want an arm and a leg for
    > > their bike, and I dont know for you but I need my both legs and arms to

    > ride
    > > ;-)I can understand that their stuff is maybe better but its like any

    > other
    > > stuff, the sky is the limit and we must stay rational.
    > >
    > > 300.00 for my boy is a lot of dollars,lots of sacrifice, so I would like

    > > see him happy with his purchase, can you minimise my worry ?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input

    He read all your post and suggestion, but he really wants the Schwinn Sierra
    ( known as Santa Monica in Canada) So will see if he is taking the right
    decision.

    I went to the store with him, we looked at it and at some Raleigh of the
    same category. The Raleigh Portage looks better but the Sierra seems to be
    equipped with better wheels and derailleur.

    I do not think that he his really making a bad move for the price, and you
    know how the kids are, they need to learn by themselves.

    I managed to get out of the store without the bike, I want him to think
    about it a little more, the sale end in 5 days.We have the choice to get it
    build for free or I can have it delivered at home not built. I certainly can
    handle this task ( I'm a mechanic) but can you direct me to a good web site
    where I can get good info on bike maintenance and repair. I want him to
    build the bike to have a better feel about it.

    BTW can you get a bike not made in China,Taiwan or Vietnam ???

    Once again I appreciate your suggestion, but he is in love with that
    bike.... and you know what love can do at 15 !!!

  8. H. Morgan

    H. Morgan Guest

    >BTW can you get a bike not made in China,Taiwan or Vietnam ???

    Pay lots and lots of money. Italian, American or Canadian (and others)
    made bikes tend to be higher end and cost more, although most
    companies have an entry level.

    Try www.parktool.com for repair and maintenance info.

  9. rick

    rick Guest

    "H. Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >BTW can you get a bike not made in China,Taiwan or Vietnam ???

    > Pay lots and lots of money. Italian, American or Canadian (and others)
    > made bikes tend to be higher end and cost more, although most
    > companies have an entry level.
    >

    > Try www.parktool.com for repair and maintenance info.

    I wonder if the occasional rider can feel the difference between a 350.00
    bike and a 1000.00 bike , if the answer is yes, is it enough to justify
    650.00 more ?

  10. rick

    rick Guest

    > Try www.parktool.com for repair and maintenance info.

    Great site !! Thanks

  11. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "rick" <rick @
    nowhere.com> says...

    > I do not think that he his really making a bad move for the price, and you
    > know how the kids are, they need to learn by themselves.

    Any bike from a good manufacturer in that price range is going to be
    pretty comparable. Some will have better parts, while others might have
    better frames or wheels, but the overall quality will be very
    comparable.

    > I managed to get out of the store without the bike, I want him to think
    > about it a little more, the sale end in 5 days.We have the choice to get it
    > build for free or I can have it delivered at home not built. I certainly can
    > handle this task ( I'm a mechanic) but can you direct me to a good web site
    > where I can get good info on bike maintenance and repair. I want him to
    > build the bike to have a better feel about it.
    >
    > BTW can you get a bike not made in China,Taiwan or Vietnam ???

    Not in that price range. When you get to around $1000 (maybe a little
    less), you can find ones made in Canada or the US.

    newsgroups if possible).

  12. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "rick" <rick @
    nowhere.com> says...

    > "H. Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > > >BTW can you get a bike not made in China,Taiwan or Vietnam ???

    > > Pay lots and lots of money. Italian, American or Canadian (and others)
    > > made bikes tend to be higher end and cost more, although most
    > > companies have an entry level.
    > >

    > > Try www.parktool.com for repair and maintenance info.

    > I wonder if the occasional rider can feel the difference between a 350.00
    > bike and a 1000.00 bike , if the answer is yes, is it enough to justify
    > 650.00 more ?

    Yes, (s)he'll be able to tell the difference, but probably won't
    consider it to be worth almost 3x the price.

    newsgroups if possible).

  13. Harris

    Harris Guest

    rick <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:

    > I wonder if the occasional rider can feel the difference between a 350.00
    > bike and a 1000.00 bike , if the answer is yes, is it enough to justify
    > 650.00 more ?

    Most occasional riders won't ride 100 total lifetime miles, so the $350
    bike is probably a better deal for them.

    Art Harris

  14. ian

    ian Guest

    "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Try www.parktool.com for repair and maintenance info.
    > > >

    > Great site !! Thanks

    Where in Canada are you? In Toronto, Silent Sports is a great bike
    shop; they have bikes in the price range of $350 which are solidly
    built.