Schwinn Varsity back from the dead (at Walmart!)

razethekids said:
i just got a used varsity at the goodwill. all it needed was new tubes and tires. and despite its weight and head stem shifters, its the funnest bike ive ever rode. i dont know too much about the new school schwinn, but the original is sick.
Wow, its already showing up at good will hugh.....What price did you pay. This bike is only about a year old. I went to the dump to try and find some frames for winter projects and man have the times changed. You used to be able to cruise the dump in search of hidden treasures but this time I was greeted by two rather large dudes that waved me down and wanted to know what I was doing. I told them and they said that they don't allow that. Apparently the city dumps have become big business. From the yard waste being sold as mulch and all the seperated metals being sold for scrap, its become someone's for knox and only drop off's are allowed. It was a shame too since there was a good shape 1060's model cruzer bike laying there with red paint and in really good shape with white wall tires.

tcar5 said:
I have heard that they are and $75 seems in line with a name brand used bike that may be from the 80's or very early 90's. Based on its condition, go for it. But if its beat up, or the parts are in bad shape, I wouldn't pay over $35. Your just going to have to tear it apart and start building it with new stuff.....you already know all this anyway....
Upload some pics of the bike if you don't mind and the name and I will help you track down its history and any details on age or rebuilding details.....
This could be like a project that doesn't cost me anything...:D
well, just to let you know, I didnt purchase the Raleigh... it looked a bit beat up
and add in the fact that even though he advertised it was in "rideable" condition, he either didn't pump up the tires or couldn't... (really couldn't get much info out of him...) so I couldn't tell if I needed to change the cassette and chain in order to ride the thing...

so I figured I had this old mountain bike (a Raleigh talon cx) and I knew more about its condition and decided to convert it to a "road bike". I went to the local bike junk yard (theres a guy that sells them for around 10-20 dollars depending on your haggling skills) I bought two bikes for 20.00.

I stripped the components off the bikes and started putting them on to the mountain bike. some of that stuff really doesnt rust much and where there was some rust I picked the better components and buffed them up a bit... so now I have something akin to a mid-80's 12 speed (really 21 speed as I have the 7 x 3 setup still...) I had to replace the cassette / chain which was very easy (though I haven't tested it yet...) plan to give it a test run later today...

e0richt said:
well, just to let you know, I didnt purchase the Raleigh... it looked a bit beat up
plan to give it a test run later today...
There is a guy around me that does the same. He has 15 bikes parked in his front yard. None of them are worth anything unless you needed a specific part. They are all Dept. store bikes and rusted and banged up. I keep wanting to stop but nothing really jumps out at me from afar. I did spy a Schwinn Caliente 20" girls bike. Its sitting between two garages so I looked it up and its a mid 90's girls 20" road bike. Rare by my account as is any youth road bike would be. Its in fantastic shape so I am going to ask if they will part with it, hopefully for nothing. If so I will repaint and can get decals off ebay. After its done, I have no idea what to do with it.....Maybe someone in the local club has a daughter who is wanting to try road biking.......I will post pics if I get the bike and doc the progress....

tcar5 said:
There is a guy around me that does the same. He has 15 bikes parked in his front yard. None of them are worth anything unless you needed a specific part. They are all Dept. store bikes and rusted and banged up. I keep wanting to stop but nothing really jumps out at me from afar. I did spy a Schwinn Caliente 20" girls bike. Its sitting between two garages so I looked it up and its a mid 90's girls 20" road bike. Rare by my account as is any youth road bike would be. Its in fantastic shape so I am going to ask if they will part with it, hopefully for nothing. If so I will repaint and can get decals off ebay. After its done, I have no idea what to do with it.....Maybe someone in the local club has a daughter who is wanting to try road biking.......I will post pics if I get the bike and doc the progress....
if this seems to go well, I noticed a "mikado" ladies bike there (mixte frame)...
I was actually considering getting it and trying to convert it to a recumbent.... there seems to be alot of people that have built homemade recumbents from normal road bikes, mixte frames (which looked the easiest)
and even wood... it might be an interesting "challenge"...

oh and interestingly enough, both of the bikes were ladies bikes (for some reason they are the best preserved) and one of them that I got was a "caliente"... the other was a dept store bike... it had 26'' road tires that
looked in great shape, no wear to speak of and no dry rot... I had no use for them so, sadly, I had to put them in the trash for pickup. my wife puts up
with alot but she wont put up with having a "junk yard" for bike parts...

razethekids said:
i just got a used varsity at the goodwill. all it needed was new tubes and tires. and despite its weight and head stem shifters, its the funnest bike ive ever rode. i dont know too much about the new school schwinn, but the original is sick.
Is this the "walmart version" or the "classic version" ?
sounds like the old classic version...

e0richt said:
Is this the "walmart version" or the "classic version" ?
sounds like the old classic version...
Hello i am totally new to cycling. I am debating whether to order a schwinn varsity from walmart which the frame is like 55 cm. The GMC denali which the frame is cm inches from walmart. Or the gmc denali xl which is 57.5 cm available from amazon. My height is 6 feet 0 inches and I weigh 200 pounds even. What is the best fit for my height?

psykel78 said:
Hello i am totally new to cycling. I am debating whether to order a schwinn varsity from walmart which the frame is like 55 cm. The GMC denali which the frame is cm inches from walmart. Or the gmc denali xl which is 57.5 cm available from amazon. My height is 6 feet 0 inches and I weigh 200 pounds even. What is the best fit for my height?
Follow the link for a guide to bike fitting:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

psykel78 said:
I want a personal opinion. thanks
I would avoid the Denali simply based on build of the bike. Its going to be a hassle maintaining that bike and using it for real road use. The Varsity is a better bet, better components and better ride. at 6 feet you should be able to fit "ok" on the varsity. not knowing your leg length and arm length its hard to make a solid judgement. But my best guess is that your going to have to set the seat back all the way and possibly get a longer astem. Best advice is to visit a walmart and test the bike for fit, or go to your local bike shop and test one that is the same size.
Good luck.....

psykel78 said:
well if thats the sizes for the frames, based on fit I would go with the Denali XL.
Im 5' 9'' and I went with a 56 cm frame on a different bike, so at 6' you would want the larger frame I would think.

tcar5 said:
I would avoid the Denali simply based on build of the bike. Its going to be a hassle maintaining that bike and using it for real road use. The Varsity is a better bet, better components and better ride. at 6 feet you should be able to fit "ok" on the varsity. not knowing your leg length and arm length its hard to make a solid judgement. But my best guess is that your going to have to set the seat back all the way and possibly get a longer astem. Best advice is to visit a walmart and test the bike for fit, or go to your local bike shop and test one that is the same size.
Good luck.....
hey tcar, I previously did not like the denali but now Im wondering if maybe I was a bit premature, I noticed that the reviews for the bike on amazon are not too bad and I was wondering if my comfort problems were because I didn't get the right size frame... unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that could give a real review after some use... (amazon usually has the, "I got the bike and it seems great riding around the block" type of reviews... though there are a couple that have a couple of hundred miles on it...). I MAY actually look at getting one as a "commuter" type of bike.

psykel78 said:
oh and if you do get either one, I would like to get an initial review (when you first ride it) and maybe a later review... one where you have used it a few times
and what you think of it then...

psykel78 said:
you know what? I was looking at amazon.com and the "Denali" is the entry level version, the Yukon is the "high end" (if you can call a sub 500$ bike high end)
and the differences is in components and frame. But, there is an intermediate version called the "Envoy" that has the similar components as the Denali BUT has the same type of frame that the "Yukon" has for not much more money...

e0richt said:
well if thats the sizes for the frames, based on fit I would go with the Denali XL.
Im 5' 9'' and I went with a 56 cm frame on a different bike, so at 6' you would want the larger frame I would think.
i measured myself. I have a 32 inch inseam. My reach is 28 inches. so?what fits me?

psykel78 said:
i measured myself. I have a 32 inch inseam. My reach is 28 inches. so?what fits me?
Theoretically:

32 inches X 2.54 = 81.28 cm

81.28 cm X .67 = 54.46 cm road frame measuring center-to-top of seat tube.

Given your lack of experience and pressing demand for answers, take it with a big grain of salt.

Scotty_Dog said:
Theoretically:

32 inches X 2.54 = 81.28 cm

81.28 cm X .67 = 54.46 cm road frame measuring center-to-top of seat tube.

Given your lack of experience and pressing demand for answers, take it with a big grain of salt.
Well today was a day of discovery on the reality of road bikes for me. After much sacrificed research on road bikes, I decided to take the advice of many people and call a LBS for a bike. I called 4 stores in my local area. The cheapest bicycle I found was 630 dollars. I asked each one of them what road bike I could get for 200 dollars and they said none. I asked them even about used road bikes, still no cigar.

So that was it with the road bikes.

Then I took the advice of some people here about buying a road bike at Wal Mart.

Well I went to Wal Mart and they only had 2 schwinn varsitys. Both were in not new condition and had scratches on paint and the handlebar clamp metal paint was scratched and black. I actually pointed out some rust on the fork that was starting and when I asked for a discount in light of all these things. They said that I would have surrender my right to return it if anything was wrong with it. OK I said. How much is the discount? 10 %! was the answer I got. I said no thank you. And walked away.

I was hoping to get a substantial discount like tscar5 but no can do.He must of did something to get that discount.

now I am debating whether to go to another wal mart and repeat or go the same one at different hour to see a different manager will give me more of a discount.

thanks for reading

psykel78 said:
Well today was a day of discovery on the reality of road bikes for me. After much sacrificed research on road bikes, I decided to take the advice of many people and call a LBS for a bike. I called 4 stores in my local area. The cheapest bicycle I found was 630 dollars. I asked each one of them what road bike I could get for 200 dollars and they said none. I asked them even about used road bikes, still no cigar.

So that was it with the road bikes.

Then I took the advice of some people here about buying a road bike at Wal Mart.

Well I went to Wal Mart and they only had 2 schwinn varsitys. Both were in not new condition and had scratches on paint and the handlebar clamp metal paint was scratched and black. I actually pointed out some rust on the fork that was starting and when I asked for a discount in light of all these things. They said that I would have surrender my right to return it if anything was wrong with it. OK I said. How much is the discount? 10 %! was the answer I got. I said no thank you. And walked away.

I was hoping to get a substantial discount like tscar5 but no can do.He must of did something to get that discount.

now I am debating whether to go to another wal mart and repeat or go the same one at different hour to see a different manager will give me more of a discount.

thanks for reading
My personal opinion would be to order the bike online and put it together your self... if there are any problems, I was told that I could then return it back to the store (i.e. I wouldn't have to mail it back...)

You can get some schwinn road bikes off of amazon but nobody has reviewed them. With the Denali, Envoy and Yukon there is at least some feedback from other people... not only that I find it interesting that on amazon, you can get different frame sizes for the GMC line and you get specifics on most of the components. With the Schwinn specs, you get stuff like aluminum seat post, aluminum rims, shimano derailleur and there is only one frame size (57 cm).

In another vein, I bought a road bike off of ebay that I think is a fantastic bike (not an auction but a "buy it now" kind of thing) and I got it for 249.00 which incuded the shipping to my house. Everyone that has bought from here has given her good review (including me). The bike also comes in different frame sizes.

e0richt said:
My personal opinion would be to order the bike online and put it together your self... if there are any problems, I was told that I could then return it back to the store (i.e. I wouldn't have to mail it back...)

You can get some schwinn road bikes off of amazon but nobody has reviewed them. With the Denali, Envoy and Yukon there is at least some feedback from other people... not only that I find it interesting that on amazon, you can get different frame sizes for the GMC line and you get specifics on most of the components. With the Schwinn specs, you get stuff like aluminum seat post, aluminum rims, shimano derailleur and there is only one frame size (57 cm).

In another vein, I bought a road bike off of ebay that I think is a fantastic bike (not an auction but a "buy it now" kind of thing) and I got it for 249.00 which incuded the shipping to my house. Everyone that has bought from here has given her good review (including me). The bike also comes in different frame sizes.
e0richt: what is the name of the seller of the bike you bought on ebay

thanks

I have a 29.5 inch inseam or about 50 cm C-T... will I be able to adjust the Walmart Schwinn Varsity to fit me? Looking at getting a new bike, and much better locks because my new bike was stolen in only two days. Fortunetly it was just a cheapo $50 bike...

Thanks.