Sciatica, anyone?

Denny418

Dec 28, 2005
I've got it pretty bad, been going on for about six months now. It can hurt anywhere from my lower (right) back, through my butt, down around my thigh. Sometimes while walking the upper leg feels like it's gone to sleep and it actually affects my gait. It doesn't really bother me much while riding the bike, though I don't know if the leaning-over position, especially on the aerobars, aggravates the condition.

My diagnosis was confirmed by my doctor, who sent me to a postural therapist, who straightened out some bad posture habits I had, and gave me various exercises. They seemed to help for a while, but no longer.

I'm contemplating going to an orthopedist, but I'm wondering if I should even bother. It'll cost me time and money for him to say, "Yep, that's what you've got."

Has anyone here had this bull****, and how'd you deal with it?

Denny418 said:

I did, quite bad, I solved it with stretching of the glutes. I was also given some neural stretches. See a physical therapist. Ask around in your area for one who has an understanding of cycling, especially TTs or track pursuiting.

fergie said:
I did, quite bad, I solved it with stretching of the glutes. I was also given some neural stretches. See a physical therapist. Ask around in your area for one who has an understanding of cycling, especially TTs or track pursuiting.

Fergie, I'd bet you had piriformis syndrome.

Denny418, Your doctor confirmed you had sciatica? Nice. Not unlike my experience. What exactly is the cause of your sciatica? Your posture is/was probably only amplifying an underlying cause. Get it diagnosed and treated. ASAP. Especially if you are experiencing motor deficiency. If I remember correctly, the motor neurons are located near the center of the nerve. The nerve would have to be pinched severely to affect them. I'd request/demand an MRI. Nerve damage aint no joke.

Fergie and Seven,thanks very much for your input. I don't know what the cause of my problem is. For the past fifteen years I've spent most of the day in front of a computer, with lousy posture. (My posture in standing was lousy, too. The therapist pointed this all out, and I have corrected it all.) Then I'm leaning over on the bike for 8-10 hours a week, for the past twenty years or so.

I'm also 63, and though I'm still convinced I'm in my prime, parts of my anatomy might not agree.

But you're right - at this point I'd be stupid not to go to the next level in getting it checked out. Thanks for kicking me in the sciatic butt.

Denny418 said:
But you're right - at this point I'd be stupid not to go to the next level in getting it checked out. Thanks for kicking me in the sciatic butt.

Hi Denny,

I have not posted here in quite some time as I have been dealing with my own personal hell called sciatica. I have gone from about 100 miles a week and lots of weight lifting to not be able to walk down a street block, can not stand for more than 5 minutes and leg spasms that can make me curl up like a baby in a corner at times.

I was misdiagnosed with pirformis syndrome for quite some time till finally getting an MRI done which showed a small herniation in my L5. I am now having three more MRIs done on my C-spine, T-Spine and hips. They want to rule out everything before we do surgery. The surgery is an in-out same day procedure to move the bulge off the nerve.

Just so you know it started in March for me with weakness which eventually has turned into now acute pain. I had an epidural recently to make sure I can still work. You need to take this seriously and get an MRI done on your lumbar area. If it is in your legs it is most likely a herniated disc in that area.

Also trust me I would not go to an orthopedist but instead go to a spinal orthopedist or a neuro-surgeon. Orthopedist will immediately call it pirformis syndrome and set you up for PT. I would rule out the worse first cause the PT can actually make your condition worse as it did for me.

I wish you luck.

-js

jsirabella said:
Hi Denny,

I have not posted here in quite some time as I have been dealing with my own personal hell called sciatica. I have gone from about 100 miles a week and lots of weight lifting to not be able to walk down a street block, can not stand for more than 5 minutes and leg spasms that can make me curl up like a baby in a corner at times.

I was misdiagnosed with pirformis syndrome for quite some time till finally getting an MRI done which showed a small herniation in my L5. I am now having three more MRIs done on my C-spine, T-Spine and hips. They want to rule out everything before we do surgery. The surgery is an in-out same day procedure to move the bulge off the nerve.

Just so you know it started in March for me with weakness which eventually has turned into now acute pain. I had an epidural recently to make sure I can still work. You need to take this seriously and get an MRI done on your lumbar area. If it is in your legs it is most likely a herniated disc in that area.

Also trust me I would not go to an orthopedist but instead go to a spinal orthopedist or a neuro-surgeon. Orthopedist will immediately call it pirformis syndrome and set you up for PT. I would rule out the worse first cause the PT can actually make your condition worse as it did for me.

I wish you luck.

-js

That's "funny," JS, because I was thinking of putting out an All Points Bulletin for you. If you recall, several months ago you and I were having a conversation about our problems, and I was telling you that my discovery of bad posture was a revelation that I hoped would eventually solve my (at that time) new and merely irritating problem. I am very sorry to hear your latest - especially because I might be in the same leaky boat.

But I don't think I'd ever have surgery unless they tell me my ***** is going to fall off. Keep us informed, please.

Denny

Denny418 said:
But I don't think I'd ever have surgery unless they tell me my ***** is going to fall off. Keep us informed, please.

Denny

Denny,

I really hope you do not go down my same road and your only issue is your gait. If you get that first leg spasm you are going to think someone is ripping off your *****. Your best bet to not going down my road is to get that MRI done now...not 3 - 4 mos after it happens.

Go to the right type of doctor too! I have seen them all neurologist, neuro-surgeons, spinal orthopedists and orthopedists. Like I said rule out the big ones than get down to the smaller issues. Pirforimis syndromes heal as it is muscle but pinched nerves cause of herniated discs can take months and months naturally and during that time your nerve is getting damaged which has alot to do with your leg strength.

-js

I can cause a self inflicted form of sciatica when I lower my handlebar stem. Then recover slowly by raising the handlebars and puting my hands on the elbow pads of my clip on aerobars so I can sit upright most of the time. I also use the tread mill for an easy walk after I ride just for therapy and to stay loose. I've considered getting a stem riser but I don't like the looks of them. I see a taller head tube and shorter top tube in my future bike.

jsirabella said:
Denny,

I really hope you do not go down my same road and your only issue is your gait. If you get that first leg spasm you are going to think someone is ripping off your *****. Your best bet to not going down my road is to get that MRI done now...not 3 - 4 mos after it happens.

Go to the right type of doctor too! I have seen them all neurologist, neuro-surgeons, spinal orthopedists and orthopedists. Like I said rule out the big ones than get down to the smaller issues. Pirforimis syndromes heal as it is muscle but pinched nerves cause of herniated discs can take months and months naturally and during that time your nerve is getting damaged which has alot to do with your leg strength.

-js

I hear you, JS. I will heed your warning. On the lighter side, our conversation reminds me of a joke. Guy goes to China on business, shacks up with a call girl the night before he comes back to U.S. On the flight, he starts feeling sick, with a terrible looking rash on his privates. As soon as he gets home, he goes to his doctor. Doctor takes one look and almost starts crying. Says, "I hate to tell you this, but you have Harimoto disease. It's an extremely rare Oriental venereal disease, and the only way to save your life is to perform a penectomy."

Guy panics, runs out of the office to the nearest bar. Downs several shots of whiskey. Calms down a bit and reasons that he should go see an Oriental doctor, who might know more about the illness. Finds one in the phone book and rushes right over. Doc takes one look and says, "Oh, yes, you have Harimoto disease."

Guy says, "Oh, no, that's what my own doctor said. He said they'd have to cut my penis off in order to save my life."

Oriental doctor say, "No, no, no. Amelican doctor, always want operate. Everything, operate. You no need operate. You go home, you rest, do nothing - in two week, ***** fall off by self.

I am not sure why anyone would self inflict it. Once you have sciatica you never want to think about it again. There are all forms of sciatica and affect people in many ways. It can come from muscular like pirformis syndrome or nerve like herniated disc or it can come from old age arthritic issues. The arthritic issues in a sense is the worse as there is really nothing that can be done but a surgery if the pain gets too bad. PT can help in that situation also.

I did go to a chiropractor and I do acupuncture. I found the chiro to make it worse as they are better as a prevention than a cure while the acupuncture helps but it is more like a chipping away process and for some it does not work. I have been going for a month and not sure if it is really helping but willing to keep trying.

Should try all conservative measures before going under the knife.

-js

wiredued said:
I can cause a self inflicted form of sciatica when I lower my handlebar stem. Then recover slowly by raising the handlebars and puting my hands on the elbow pads of my clip on aerobars so I can sit upright most of the time. I also use the tread mill for an easy walk after I ride just for therapy and to stay loose. I've considered getting a stem riser but I don't like the looks of them. I see a taller head tube and shorter top tube in my future bike.

I lowered my handlebar stem and removed the aerobars a month before a race to get more aero and be legal in a crit. Then I forgot to raise it back up for another month and left the aerobars off. At first I felt fine but then it caught up with me lower back/front of leg pain. Couldn't walk at normal speed unless I warmed up for about a quarter mile first.

jsirabella said:
I am not sure why anyone would self inflict it.

Given the fact that it took all those conditions to get you to feel pain than your issue must be minor. Ofcourse there is pain and than there is PAIN. The fact that you could walk for a quater mile even when you were not feeling well means quite minor also.

Ofcourse the conventional wisdom from all the docs would be do exercises that would strengthen your core. But I would go to Back Pain, Neck Pain, Lower Back Pain | Spine-Health as I have learned quite a bit from that site. They give you exercises for different types of scitica. That is the big problem as without the proper diagnosis hard to know what exercises to do but core is always the first one everyone talks about.

-js

Warning though that site while insightful and good is honestly a bit scary. In many ways I wish I never had to find that site as when you see some of the posters and the amount of pain they are in and the amount of surgeries and issues they have just to get out of bed. It makes you realize how delicate life can be. A case where ignorance can be bliss.

wiredued said:
I lowered my handlebar stem and removed the aerobars a month before a race to get more aero and be legal in a crit. Then I forgot to raise it back up for another month and left the aerobars off. At first I felt fine but then it caught up with me lower back/front of leg pain. Couldn't walk at normal speed unless I warmed up for about a quarter mile first.

jsirabella said:
Hi Denny,

I have not posted here in quite some time as I have been dealing with my own personal hell called sciatica....
Also trust me I would not go to an orthopedist but instead go to a spinal orthopedist or a neuro-surgeon.
I wish you luck.

-js

Had same problem many years ago. I let it go too far; could not sleep due to pain; could not walk; could not move my toes. Neuro-surgeon got it right. Had surgery; recovery took a while (about 1 year). I mean real recovery. Flexibility (yoga), abdominal and upper body strengthening, weight control and relaxation have proven to work for me. Now I ride 3 days/week (with 30 min mini yoga session afterwards); run 2 days/week (with strength training afterwards); TOTAL REST 1 day; yoga 1 day/week. When I get lazy, all I think of is all the pain I had; it gets me motivated in a second to keep it up.
I think it's important to have a balance of physical activities when you've had back problems...

The misdiagnose in my case really hurt me. I basically wasted months of PT and such trying to fix something that was not broken. Most of that issue actually goes back to a health care system that will not approve an MRI till you have tried PT and once you do too much PT without enough results they cut that off. It really forces the options of what a doctor can do and when. I know this cause I asked the doctor for the MRI from the beginning but was denied. I should have just paid the $1500 for it.

But that wasted time has put me in the situation I am in right now. If during the onset I knew it was a herniated disc I could have taken different measures to maybe avoid surgery. At this point it seems inevitable as I feel if I wait too long and go through several more epidurals to help my situation it may be too late. I know of someone who waited three years and many epidurals as you can do three a year. Finally had the surgery and unfortunately it was too late as while the pain is less is now stuck with her forever.

I am sorry you went through that experience but I can tell if I ever get back to normal I will have this experience in my brain forever. I also wanted to thank you for the post as it has a positive outcome. So many posts in the other forums just give you no hope and despair. I have actually lost so much hope ready to put the bikes up on ebay....I hope I will be able to get the tires filled with air again and go for a simple ride.

I have to keep believing...

-js

rparedes said:
Had same problem many years ago. I let it go too far; could not sleep due to pain; could not walk; could not move my toes. Neuro-surgeon got it right. Had surgery; recovery took a while (about 1 year). I mean real recovery. Flexibility (yoga), abdominal and upper body strengthening, weight control and relaxation have proven to work for me. Now I ride 3 days/week (with 30 min mini yoga session afterwards); run 2 days/week (with strength training afterwards); TOTAL REST 1 day; yoga 1 day/week. When I get lazy, all I think of is all the pain I had; it gets me motivated in a second to keep it up.
I think it's important to have a balance of physical activities when you've had back problems...

FWIW I found this site helpful with sciatica Acu-Cell Disorders: Nutritional Causes, Prevention & Remedies for the type of sciatica I had taking calcium citrate seemed to help. I think it helped control phosphorus and selenium levels from getting to high and making symptoms worse for me. If you can find anything to give you an edge so you can get walking again it will make all the difference.

wiredued said:
FWIW I found this site helpful with sciatica Acu-Cell Disorders: Nutritional Causes, Prevention & Remedies for the type of sciatica I had taking calcium citrate seemed to help. I think it helped control phosphorus and selenium levels from getting to high and making symptoms worse for me. If you can find anything to give you an edge so you can get walking again it will make all the difference.

Hi wired,

Thanks for the post. I will give it a good read. I had three MRIs done this week and based upon the reaction of the radiologist for the hip MRI I feel there may be some answers there.

I knew it would either be the hips or L5 or combination. Based upon the history I am leaning towards the L5.

Thanks again...

-js

Denny418 said:
I've got it pretty bad, been going on for about six months now.

Hi Denny, I had it just as bad. Walking any longer than 100 yeards at a time was difficult, I couldn't feel my right foot for days at a time. It hurt to stand, sit and lie down, but it did NOT hurt to be on my bike. I think the more aero position helped open the spaces between the vertebrae, and felt like a bit of relief. Sure, my foot was numb beyond all belief, but I could continue to ride.
What got me through it was back streches and core work. You see a lot of these stretches and exercise in yoga sessions, and after a few weeks, I slowly regained mobility and stability. I will still get occasional relapses, and then get back to emphasizing posture and core and lower back stretches. Really, 10-15 min a day can do wonders.

Good luck. I hope your pain lifts soon.

B.

seven-22 said:
Fergie, I'd bet you had piriformis syndrome.

Me too. The piriformis is probably trapping the sciatic nerve.

See a physio who knows about the condition.