scientific explanation for how fat is removed from body

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Markavelii, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Markavelii

    Markavelii Guest

    Hi, I was just wondering how fat is lost or removed from the body when you "lose weight". We know
    when you sweat during a workout it's good, but is that purely losing water or is the fat being
    "burnt" into liquid and sweated out ? Also when urinating, can that be sometimes looked at as
    excreting fat ? Anyone have the scientific explanation for how the body rids itself of fat ? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. September

    September Guest

    [email protected] (Markavelii) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I was just wondering how fat is lost or removed from the body when you "lose weight". We
    > know when you sweat during a workout it's good, but is that purely losing water or is the fat
    > being "burnt" into liquid and sweated out ? Also when urinating, can that be sometimes looked
    > at as excreting fat ? Anyone have the scientific explanation for how the body rids itself of
    > fat ? Thanks!

    It's metabolized via certain energy-producing biochemical pathways to water and carbon dioxide. The
    water is mostly urinated out of the body, and the CO2 is expelled via the lungs (breathed out).
    Under certain conditions (starvation, very low carbohydrate intake, or insulin deficiency), ketone
    bodies are formed. Ketone bodies are intermediate products of fat breakdown. If they reach high
    enough levels in the blood, some are released in the urine. A certain ketone body called acetone is
    also expelled via the lungs.