SCIENTISTS CLAIM TO HAVE FOUND 'CURE' FOR DIABETES

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Indian scientists claim to have found 'cure' for diabetes

    Press Trust of India The Hindustan Times January 7, 2004

    Chandigarh, January 7 - Indian scientists claimed to have
    developed a "cure" to diabetes from a plant found in West
    Bengal's Purulia hills.

    "The drug - 'ICB201' - has been derived from a plant after
    it was noticed that people in Purulia hills used it in case
    of diabetic problems," Dr S Bhattacharya of Indian Institute
    of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, whose team developed the drug,
    said at the Science Congress on Tuesday evening.

    Bhattacharya, while delivering the BC Guha Memorial Award
    Lecture on "Confronting Diabetic Type II: A global
    Epidemic", claimed — "probably the answer to 'Type-II'
    diabetes has been found".

    Asserting that earlier there was "practically no drug to
    treat the Type II diabetes", he said 'ICB201' acts by
    lowering the fatty acid levels in blood. Higher levels of
    fatty acids in blood diminish activity of insulin which
    causes diabetes".

    The Phase I toxicity studies on mice have been carried out
    and the data would be submitted to concerned authorities.
    Phase II studies would start in about two- three months and
    the drug is likely to hit the market in next two to three
    years, Bhattacharya said.

    Pointing out that patents were being filed for the
    "invention", he said work on the medicine started four years
    back. However, he refused to reveal the name of the plant.

    Bhattacharya said "it is now being realised that more than
    glucose, it is the levels of fatty acids which play more
    important role in diabetes. The disease was being found even
    in thin people. In fact it was shown in animals that if fat
    is removed, diabetes manifests and if fat is replaced,
    diabetes disappears."

    It happens because fat cells take fatty acids from
    circulation thus lowering their levels, he said.

    "Over 95 per cent of all diabetic patients suffer from type
    II diabetes. Both Type I and Type II diabetes are
    characterised by an increase in blood sugar.

    "While in Type I, there is deficiency of insulin, Type II is
    independent of insulin. However, in both the types, levels
    of glucose rise in the blood," he said.

    In Type II diabetes, the insulin, though present, is unable
    to act, thereby leading to enhanced glucose levels, he said,
    adding "currently both the disease types are treated by
    giving insulin to the patients which actually can do harm."

    http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_522919,0050.htm

    A cure?

    Posted on 01/07/2004 1:04:15 AM PST by TheConservator

    Another recent discovery is that cinnamon is very effective
    at treating insulin resistance--and it also dramatically
    lowers triglycerides, better than anything else does.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 1:18:31 AM PST by sourcery

    and it good too.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 1:59:37 AM PST by quietolong

    His drug formula is fraud!

    Cinnamon does work to some degree because of it's
    antibacterial characteristics. But there are a dozen other
    ways to get at the cause which is extraintestinal
    manifestation of clostridium difficile.

    It is the B toxin in CD which stops glucose induced insulin
    production by the Beta islet cells.

    I have taken a diabetic patient and cut their glucose levels
    and diabetic neuropathy by 70% in just five days.

    Go after the clostridium difficile and you stop insulin
    resistance. No toxin B, no insulin resistance.

    Get it?

    Don't try this on your own by taking antibiotics. You could
    become much worse instead of better.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 2:41:27 AM PST by MedicalMess

    How does one "go after the clostridium difficile?

    Posted on 01/07/2004 2:52:39 AM PST by Justa

    > How does one go after the clostridium difficile?

    Well let's see now. It causes magnesium, calcium, copper,
    zinc, potasium and HDL deficits. It strips the cell
    membranes on glycoproteins. It interferes with Vitamin B
    synthesis and directly affects acetylcholine
    neurotransmitter substance. It also breaks down tryptophan
    with tryptophanase causing seritonin loss. It produces
    phospholipase and two toxic proteinases.

    Address these issues and you thwart CDs ability to stealth
    the human body by crippling the immune system. By countering
    CD's induced deficits you allow the human body to recognize
    CD and thereby kill it.

    Or you could take the direct approach with either Flagyl or
    Vancomycin. There are six more antibiotics that work which I
    have personally experimented but this is potentially
    dangerous or even fatal as CD induced antibiotic associated
    colitis can kill in 24 hours.

    Dr. Gabe Mirkin thought he was going after a strain of E.
    coli and was using the combination of flagyl and cipro
    but I knew this formula would blow up on him eventually
    and he has since pulled it from his site.

    I've given you enough information if you are very bright. My
    formulas are classified and undergoing review for
    publication. It will cost you about $500 when I'm done and
    you must do as you are told to succeed.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 3:21:53 AM PST by MedicalMess

    Seems to me we're already finding a "cure" to diabetes, at
    least as a preventative step. By getting the tons of
    stinkin' sugars, processed junk and additives out of our
    diets. Couldn't changing the diets to those with diabetes
    help reverse it?

    Posted on 01/07/2004 3:41:14 AM PST by Ladysmith

    Dieting is the hard way to address the problem and it lacks
    several components to succeed. Keep in mind that there are
    many thin people with good diets that still have diabetes.

    Exercise is important because oxygenation is detrimental to
    anaerobic bacterial proliferation.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 3:57:22 AM PST by MedicalMess

    > Higher levels of fatty acids in blood diminish activity of
    > insulin which causes diabetes".

    Not quite. Either the writer of the article or the guy being
    interviewed (or both) is a little out of touch. The high
    level of self-promotion, the minimizing of the work of
    others in the field (even to declaring the paucity of drugs
    for treating this condition), and a claim for a cure are all
    consistent with the origin of this story.

    Below is a pretty good summary of the current state of
    understanding (not mentioned here is the fact that elevated
    free fatty acid levels are necessary for insulin secretion
    from the pancreas but that chronic elevated levels of free
    fatty acids can lead to apoptosis of the beta cells that
    produce the insulin, leading to long term impairment of
    glucose management):

    Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2001;109(4):S516-26.

    Triglycerides, fatty acids and insulin resistance--
    hyperinsulinemia.

    Kraegen EW, Cooney GJ, Ye J, Thompson AL. Garvan Institute
    of Medical Research, St Vincent's Hospital. Sydney NSW,
    Australia.
    [email protected]

    There is now much interest in the mechanisms by which
    altered lipid metabolism might contribute to insulin
    resistance as is found in Syndrome X or in Type II diabetes.
    This review considers recent evidence obtained in animal
    models and its relevance to humans, and also likely
    mechanisms and strategies for the onset and amelioration of
    insulin resistance. A key tissue for development of insulin
    resistance is skeletal muscle. Animal models of Syndrome X
    (eg high fat fed rat) exhibit excess accumulation of muscle
    triglyceride coincident with development of insulin
    resistance. This seems to also occur in humans and several
    studies demonstrate increased muscle triglyceride content in
    insulin resistant states. Recently magnetic resonance
    spectroscopy has been used to demonstrate that at least some
    of the lipid accumulation is inside the muscle cell
    (myocyte). Factors leading to this accumulation are not
    clear, but it could derive from elevated circulating free
    fatty acids, basal or postprandial triglycerides, or reduced
    muscle fatty acid oxidation.

    Supporting a link with adipose tissue metabolism, there
    appears to be a close association of muscle and whole body
    insulin resistance with the degree of abdominal obesity.
    While causal relationships are still to be clearly
    established, there are now quite plausible mechanistic links
    between muscle lipid accumulation and insulin resistance,
    which go beyond the classic Randle glucose-fatty acid cycle.
    In animal models, dietary changes or prior exercise which
    reduce muscle lipid accumulation also improve insulin
    sensitivity. It is likely that cytosolic accumulation of the
    active form of lipid in muscle, the long chain fatty acyl
    CoAs, is involved, leading to altered insulin signalling
    [sic] or enzyme activities (eg glycogen synthase) either
    directly or via chronic activation of mediators such as
    protein kinase C. Unless there is significant weight loss,
    short or medium term dietary manipulation does not alter
    insulin sensitivity as much in humans as in rodent models,
    and there is considerable interest in pharmacological
    intervention. Studies using PPARgamma receptor agonists, the
    thiazolidinediones, have supported the principle that
    reduced muscle lipid accumulation is associated with
    increased insulin sensitivity. Other potent systemic lipid-
    lowering agents such as PPARalpha receptor agonists (eg
    fibrates) or antilipolytic agents (eg nicotinic acid
    analogues) might improve insulin sensitivity but further
    work is needed, particularly to clarify implications for
    muscle metabolism. In conclusion, evidence is growing that
    excess muscle and liver lipid accumulation causes or
    exacerbates insulin resistance in Syndrome X and in Type II
    diabetes; development of strategies to prevent this seem
    very worthwhile.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 4:30:05 AM PST by aruanan

    > The Phase I toxicity studies on mice have been carried out

    Ooops, wait until PETA hears about this!

    Posted on 01/07/2004 4:33:03 AM PST by Cronos

    > It strips the cell membranes on glycoproteins. It
    > interferes with Vitamin B synthesis and directly affects
    > acetylcholine neurotransmitter substance. It also breaks
    > down tryptophan with tryptophanase causing seritonin loss.

    These three sentences very adequately illustrate how apt
    your screen name is.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 4:34:51 AM PST by aruanan

    India found a cure? hmm what happened to Americans who have
    tons of money and they didn't find the cure?

    Whoever found a true cure would be a Godsend for millions
    who are suffering with the disease.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 4:41:08 AM PST by stopem

    I don't think that Ladysmith was discussing changing "eating
    habits" so much as processed food ingredients. Some
    additives add to poor diet without really being necessary.

    I will say that many "low fat" foods (soup especially) bump
    up the sodium content for flavor. I have found some low
    sodium/low fat soups (and could probably make such a thing
    myself in the kitchen).

    Posted on 01/07/2004 5:27:19 AM PST by weegee

    Why cant other countries find cures?

    Posted on 01/07/2004 5:27:27 AM PST by waterstraat

    I am convinced that proper diet can prevent Type II diabetes
    and even control (and even reverse) it for people who have
    already developed it. As Medicalmess points out, exercise is
    also key. Since walking briskly several miles every day
    since April, I feel completely healthy even though people
    all around me are getting flus and colds and such. Evidently
    the combination of exercise and diet has made my body much
    more resistant to disease. I wake up at 5AM every morning
    with a great deal of energy - even when it's bitterly cold
    like it was this morning. The cold doesn't bother me at all
    anymore. It's great.

    I'd much rather fight diabetes with diet and exercise than
    to take the pills this article is talking about.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 6:47:03 AM PST by SamAdams76

    That's interesting. I've got Type II diabetes--I'll give it
    a shot. Thanks for the link.

    Posted on 01/07/2004 6:52:04 AM PST by randog

    I sure would like to hear from you medicalmess. I sent you a
    private message concerning my 6 year old who was diagnosed
    with type I a few months ago.

    This C-diff thing has also been in my family recently.

    please respond

    Posted on 01/07/2004 7:48:04 AM PST by pray boy

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - End
    of forwarded messages

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 20 Phalgun 5104, Wednesday, March 10, 2004:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksh Ritau Kumbh Mase
    Krshn Pakshe Buddh Vasara Yuktayam Svati-Vaishakh Nakshatr
    Vyaghat Yog Balav-Taitil Karan Chaturthi-Panchami Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
    http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims
    http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
    for the educational purposes of research and open
    discussion. The contents of this post may not have
    been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
    the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected
    by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of
    copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to
    me, it will likely not be read, considered or
    answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice
    telephone number. o Posted for information and
    discussion. Views expressed by others are not
    necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. Talkback

    Talkback Guest

    Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    > Indian scientists claim to have found 'cure' for diabetes

    I didn't realize "The Hindu Times" was a medical journal.
    Stop posting this crap. When we see it in JAMA we'll take
    a look. What kind of "Doctor" are you anyway? Did you
    know that a doctorate in Library Sciences doesn't qualify
    you as a medical practitioner? I'll be you look and sound
    like a duck.

  3. Mack©

    Mack© Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 22:58:25 GMT, [email protected] (Dr. Jai
    Maharaj) wrote: all fiction.

    Mack© Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
    http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
    Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
    strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

  4. Beav

    Beav Guest

  5. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "talkback" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    > > Indian scientists claim to have found 'cure' for
    > > diabetes
    >
    > I didn't realize "The Hindu Times" was a medical journal.
    > Stop posting this crap. When we see it in JAMA we'll take
    > a look. What kind of "Doctor" are you anyway?

    he's nothing more than a doctor of bollocks and spam.

    Did you know that a doctorate in
    > Library Sciences doesn't qualify you as a medical
    > practitioner? I'll be you look and sound like a duck.

    He sounds like a twat to me

  6. Mr. 4x

    Mr. 4x Guest

    "Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]:

    > "talkback" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    >> > Indian scientists claim to have found 'cure' for
    >> > diabetes
    >>
    >> I didn't realize "The Hindu Times" was a medical journal.
    >> Stop posting this crap. When we see it in JAMA we'll take
    >> a look. What kind of "Doctor" are you anyway?
    >
    > he's nothing more than a doctor of bollocks and spam.
    >
    > Did you know that a doctorate in
    >> Library Sciences doesn't qualify you as a medical
    >> practitioner? I'll be you look and sound like a duck.
    >
    > He sounds like a twat to me

    I would say he's rather a nut.

  7. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Mr. 4X" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "talkback" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> I didn't realize "The Hindu Times" was a medical
    > >> journal. Stop posting this crap. When we see it in JAMA
    > >> we'll take a look. What kind of "Doctor" are you
    > >> anyway?
    > >
    > > he's nothing more than a doctor of bollocks and spam.
    > >
    > > Did you know that a doctorate in
    > >> Library Sciences doesn't qualify you as a medical
    > >> practitioner? I'll be you look and sound like a duck.
    > >
    > > He sounds like a twat to me
    >
    > I would say he's rather a nut.

    Oh he's that alright. not a shadow of doubt. Thankfully, he
    works on a cycle and only comes for a few weeks and then
    disappears for a while. He's currently in his PMS phase and
    we're bearing the brunt, but it won't last:)

    Beav