Scolded by the cops.

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
So last night, we were on a group ride. Most of the riders are pretty strong including the women. Tell you the truth I have never seen so many strong women in one place other than a race.

So we ride out then the return is pretty much a 2% climb fro 3 miles at a time. Gentle rolling hills and a few steeper sections but not too long on the steeps.

So we stop to regroup in a little parking lot. A cop rolls up in his car and says he had a few calls by drivers saying that we were riding up the road a little too fast! :eek::eek::eek:

OK, WHAT!!!!

That's OK, first time I have ever been in a group accused of rolling too fast uphill, I'll take it! :D:p:D

Back in the early 80s legend has it that a group of 3 got stopped descending a hill above the posted speed limit. The cop asked for drivers licences, which none of had. He then asked names and addresses. One replied "Eddy Merckx" and gave the address two blocks away - not his. I was next and said "Sean Kelly" and the address was his aunt's. The third (who is of Italian descent) said "Gino Bartali". No tickets ever received.

I got a ticket from a motorcycle cop setting in a school zone shoot radar at cars, there was slight maybe 2 or 3 percent grade so I was cruising at an unknown speed since I didn't have computer. I pass the cop not thinking about it next thing I know I hear a siren behind me, I look to see this guy motioning me over, so ok I pulled over, he tells me I was doing 32 mph in school zone and writes me up, I always carry my driver's license with me. I told him I had no idea how fast I was going, I'm on a bike with a speedometer, he says buy a speedometer. So I take it to court, the Judge and I had history due to all my car **** I use to do, so he looks at the ticket and just starts laughing his head off, he gets under control and reads the ticket out loud to the court with about 30 others waiting to be heard, everyone starts laughing. The Judge, still snickering about it, says to me: "Froze, it seems that no matter what you're driving you're going to go fast, but today you made my day, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time, case dismissed have a nice day, and try to slow down".

Then once, which I always use to try to find a way out of ticket using this method, I coming down a very steep grade doing about 50 mph, I see a 3 way stop and I'm teeing into it it, so I attempt to slow down, I got the speed scrubbed down to about 15 mph, saw no traffic at the stop signs so I run it sign, well there was a cop parked on the side of the road and he saw me do this deed, so he decides to pull me over, as I'm pedaling up a slight hill with a guard rail to my right I notice at the end of the guard rail there is a trail leading off into the woods. Mind you all, I'm on a bike with 21c tubular tires at the time, so a thought came to my brain, quite a common thought too which is why the judge knew me, I took the path on my bike with this cop yelling on the PA to stop, guess where that path led me to? to financial freedom! I rode that path for about a mile and it deposited me onto another road, from there I rode home never seeing the cop. There were some areas on that dirt trail I had to get off and walk over some rocky areas and broken tree debris, but I made it.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Back in the early 80s legend has it that a group of 3 got stopped descending a hill above the posted speed limit. The cop asked for drivers licences, which none of had. He then asked names and addresses. One replied "Eddy Merckx" and gave the address two blocks away - not his. I was next and said "Sean Kelly" and the address was his aunt's. The third (who is of Italian descent) said "Gino Bartali". No tickets ever received.

:D:p:D And I'm sure they would have no idea!

So last night, we were on a group ride. Most of the riders are pretty strong including the women. Tell you the truth I have never seen so many strong women in one place other than a race.

So we ride out then the return is pretty much a 2% climb fro 3 miles at a time. Gentle rolling hills and a few steeper sections but not too long on the steeps.

So we stop to regroup in a little parking lot. A cop rolls up in his car and says he had a few calls by drivers saying that we were riding up the road a little too fast! :eek::eek::eek:

OK, WHAT!!!!

That's OK, first time I have ever been in a group accused of rolling too fast uphill, I'll take it! :D:p:D
Did the cop realize how ridiculous that sounded? Here the cops don't even blink when a group rolls through a light turning red for the last half. A local court case had a judge saying that a bike rolling through a stop sign at 5 mph was the equivalent of a stop.

Did the cop realize how ridiculous that sounded? Here the cops don't even blink when a group rolls through a light turning red for the last half. A local court case had a judge saying that a bike rolling through a stop sign at 5 mph was the equivalent of a stop.

That's fine, but that judge held the right to do that, the law by the book says you have to stop completely (unless you live in one of the rolling stop states for cyclists), so the judge could have been a hardnose by the book judge and could have found you guilty of running a stop and you have to pay the fine.

Ah, the classic "concerned citizen" reports. I'm sure those women riders were putting out some serious wattage, strong enough to make cars feel like they're standing still!