Scored Cones ??

sparkywowo

Jul 24, 2004
I was repacking my bearings the other day and noticed the cones were slightly scored.

Can someone please give me advice on how to proceed? (Do I need to replace cones and ball bearings, just cones, neither, how do i inspect hubs, etc... )

Thanks!

sparkywowo said:
I was repacking my bearings the other day and noticed the cones were slightly scored.

Can someone please give me advice on how to proceed? (Do I need to replace cones and ball bearings, just cones, neither, how do i inspect hubs, etc... )

Thanks!

You can inspect the hub by taking everything out and cleaning the races of old grease, dirt, etc... and visually inspecting. The races should be smooth. There will likely be a shiny track where the bearings run, but there should be no pitting or roughness. If the races are not pitted or scored, you should just replace the cones and bearings and repack everything with clean grease. If the hub races are also scored, you need a new hub.

Alternatively if the wheel is not used for high performance use, you could just repack it and let it run rough, knowing that it will continue to wear badly and will eventually need replacement. It is often hard to properly adjust a hub with scored races or cones. Using bad cones with good hub races or vice versa will eventually trash the good parts.

sparkywowo said:

I neglected to say that if you have failry recent model Campy hubs, that the hub races can be replaced (about $15 each). For Shimano road and most other brands, the races can't be removed or if they can, you likely won't be able to find replacements.