Scotland hailed as best international mountain bike destination

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
GLOBAL SUPERSTAR
SCOTLAND: A
Bonnie trails and bike-friendly government

Last year, IMBA's online poll named Scotland the People's Choice. In 2005, the Scots go one better by knocking British Columbia off the Global Superstar pedestal. (Sure, B.C. is still one of the best places on the planet to ride, but unapproved trails are a ticking timebomb.) Scotland features the government-sponsored Seven Stanes Project - riding centers with outstanding trails - and the brilliant scenery and demanding trails of the Scottish Highlands. The Glentress center attracted 250,000 visitors last year, according to the Forestry Commission Scotland, which prompted the agency to purchase new land. With mountain bike tourism on the rise and increasing numbers of trails being built, we expect Scotland to stay near the top of the international scorecard for years to come.

http://www.imba.com/news/trail_news/18_4/itn_18_4_report_card.html

MountainPro said:
GLOBAL SUPERSTAR

Last year, IMBA's online poll named Scotland the People's Choice. In 2005, the Scots go one better by knocking British Columbia off the Global Superstar pedestal. (Sure, B.C. is still one of the best places on the planet to ride, but unapproved trails are a ticking timebomb.) Scotland features the government-sponsored Seven Stanes Project - riding centers with outstanding trails - and the brilliant scenery and demanding trails of the Scottish Highlands. The Glentress center attracted 250,000 visitors last year, according to the Forestry Commission Scotland, which prompted the agency to purchase new land. With mountain bike tourism on the rise and increasing numbers of trails being built, we expect Scotland to stay near the top of the international scorecard for years to come.

Wales is better. :D;):cool:

And British Columbia is 12 times larger than Scotland with less people so we have much more room for trails :)

Having ridden lots in Scotland, Wales, England, BC, USA, Australia, France, Italy, Spain and Kenya. I would say that the natural trails in Spain beat everything. If you really want to ride some fantastic trails look at someone like www.switch-backs.com

Mike, the Canadian owner has a huge supply of deserted, dry, rocky and very technically demanding singletrack trails.

Admittedly I haven't ridden as much of BC as I would like (hence returning there later this year) but I keep going back to Spain for more and each visit takes my riding to a new level. :)

I believe this about Scotland. I would love to cycle the country on both mountain and road bikes. Lack of money and time prohibits it.

MountainPro said:
GLOBAL SUPERSTAR

I agree Spain is best, had fantastic time recently on the Sierra Espuna in southern spain, www.espuna-adventure.com try it you'll like it!

The trails and climate are really hard to beat.

johni said:
Having ridden lots in Scotland, Wales, England, BC, USA, Australia, France, Italy, Spain and Kenya. I would say that the natural trails in Spain beat everything. If you really want to ride some fantastic trails look at someone like www.switch-backs.com

Mike, the Canadian owner has a huge supply of deserted, dry, rocky and very technically demanding singletrack trails.

Admittedly I haven't ridden as much of BC as I would like (hence returning there later this year) but I keep going back to Spain for more and each visit takes my riding to a new level. :)