Scott CR1 Pro - any views?



P

Paul

Guest
I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was absolutely
blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the shop, who I know
well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever ridden (ok ok so maybe he
would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know if anyone on here either owns
or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.

I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842

Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found seems
positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

Cheers

Paul
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Paul
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
> absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
> shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
> ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know
> if anyone on here either owns
> or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
>
> I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
>
> http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
>
> Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found
> seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!


The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie. Having
said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur groupset, and I
love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably comfortable bike - no
vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur seems to me to be a good
value point in the Campag lineup - the finish isn't as good as Chorus
or Record, and some of the materials are less exotic, but the parts are
mainly functionally identical to their Chorus/Record equivalents.

So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee
 
P

Paul

Guest
"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
> > absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
> > shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
> > ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know
> > if anyone on here either owns
> > or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
> >
> > I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
> >
> > http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
> >
> > Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found
> > seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

>
> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie. Having
> said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur groupset, and I
> love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably comfortable bike - no
> vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur seems to me to be a good
> value point in the Campag lineup - the finish isn't as good as Chorus
> or Record, and some of the materials are less exotic, but the parts are
> mainly functionally identical to their Chorus/Record equivalents.
>
> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.
>


Agreed Simon - I am raving about it to be honest. There is also a slightly
cheaper version with 105 throughout and equipe wheelset rather than elite.
That goes for 300 quid less than the Centaur version but I think I'd regret
not spending that for the extra you get over 105 to be honest, added to
which I prefer Campag in any case. They are also making a big thing of the
Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved with this year's
carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for.

I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I don't
know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
knock off it.

Cheers

Paul
 
T

Tony B

Guest
> I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I don't
> know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
> knock off it.


It's a lovely thing to be sure, out of my price bracket though. On the
subject of buy now or wait, just think - later in the year you will have
missed out on a spring season that you could have spent wizzing about on
your black bike. We only have a limited number of springs before we
won't be able to ride any more, why use one up in order to save a bit of
cash?

That's my current line of attack anyway... lucky for my cash sit. that
Harry Hall is closed today.

bfn,

Tony B
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Paul wrote:
>
> On a serious note I don't
> know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
> knock off it.
>


Then you'll be wondering whether to wait for next year's model or get
this year's cheap ;-) Plus this year's riding won't be half as much fun
knowing you could have been riding your new bike and worrying if there
will be any left when you get a round tuit.

Tony
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Paul
('[email protected]') wrote:

>
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
>> > absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
>> > shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
>> > ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to
>> > know if anyone on here either owns
>> > or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
>> >
>> > I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
>> >
>> > http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
>> >
>> > Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have
>> > found seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

>>
>> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
>> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
>> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie.
>> Having said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur
>> groupset, and I love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably
>> comfortable bike - no vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur
>> seems to me to be a good value point in the Campag lineup - the
>> finish isn't as good as Chorus or Record, and some of the materials
>> are less exotic, but the parts are mainly functionally identical to
>> their Chorus/Record equivalents.
>>
>> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.
>>

> They are also making a big thing
> of the Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved
> with this year's carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride
> from a vibration point of view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness
> most would kill for.


I suspect that's marketing fluff. From my limited experience, all carbon
monocoque bikes have 'a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for'. This
isn't to say that the Scott isn't very good - I suspect it is extremely
good. Just that I'd be surprised if it's that much different from other
people's carbon bikes, many of which are also very good.

> I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I
> don't know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see
> what they knock off it.


If you buy it now, you'll get to ride it in the spring time. If you get
it at a bargain price in Autumn, you won't. Go for it.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.
 
P

Paul

Guest
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Paul wrote:
> >
> > On a serious note I don't
> > know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what

they
> > knock off it.
> >

>
> Then you'll be wondering whether to wait for next year's model or get
> this year's cheap ;-) Plus this year's riding won't be half as much fun
> knowing you could have been riding your new bike and worrying if there
> will be any left when you get a round tuit.
>
> Tony
>


<fx> groan......why did you all have to go and say that? Have some respect
for my bank balance........

;-)

Cheers

Paul
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Paul wrote:
>
> <fx> groan......why did you all have to go and say that?
>


We're urc. That's what we do. ;-)

Tony
 
P

Paul

Guest
"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> >
> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
> >>
> >> > I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
> >> > absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
> >> > shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
> >> > ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to
> >> > know if anyone on here either owns
> >> > or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
> >> >
> >> > I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
> >> >
> >> > http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
> >> >
> >> > Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have
> >> > found seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!
> >>
> >> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
> >> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
> >> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie.
> >> Having said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur
> >> groupset, and I love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably
> >> comfortable bike - no vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur
> >> seems to me to be a good value point in the Campag lineup - the
> >> finish isn't as good as Chorus or Record, and some of the materials
> >> are less exotic, but the parts are mainly functionally identical to
> >> their Chorus/Record equivalents.
> >>
> >> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.
> >>

> > They are also making a big thing
> > of the Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved
> > with this year's carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride
> > from a vibration point of view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness
> > most would kill for.

>
> I suspect that's marketing fluff. From my limited experience, all carbon
> monocoque bikes have 'a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
> view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for'. This
> isn't to say that the Scott isn't very good - I suspect it is extremely
> good. Just that I'd be surprised if it's that much different from other
> people's carbon bikes, many of which are also very good.
>
> > I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I
> > don't know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see
> > what they knock off it.

>
> If you buy it now, you'll get to ride it in the spring time. If you get
> it at a bargain price in Autumn, you won't. Go for it.


Decision made Simon - I am going to but it's gonna mean that I have to go
from 2 bikes to one and sell my 2 existing ones now. What's the best place
to shift them - ebay? I tried to sell my hybrid on C+ a little while ago
but no takers. If I can move them both that will ease the pain of the
outlay for the Scott (which is still really gonna hurt!)

Cheers

Paul
 
A

Arthur Clune

Guest
Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

: Decision made Simon - I am going to but it's gonna mean that I have to go
: from 2 bikes to one and sell my 2 existing ones now. What's the best place

That's all well and good, but what will you ride in the winter when there's
lots of salt and **** on the roads? I'd keep on of your current bikes and
sell one personally. Your nice new shiny bike won't stay nice for long if
you thrash it all winter.

Arthur


--
Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
 
P

Paul

Guest
<snip>

> That's all well and good, but what will you ride in the winter when

there's
> lots of salt and **** on the roads? I'd keep on of your current bikes and
> sell one personally. Your nice new shiny bike won't stay nice for long if
> you thrash it all winter.
>
> Arthur



I was thinking exactly the same thing this afternoon Arthur but where new
bikes are concerned I suffer from 'can'tmakeadecisionitis' - perfectly
understandable. On balance I'd already decided to stick hold of my hybrid
as a winter bike as, to be honest, it's quite superb for that. I have very
reluctantly advertised my OCR2 as I simply don't have the room nor the
inclination to keep 2 road bikes.

When the Giant goes the Scott CR1 is mine <fx> evil grin..............

I can't sleep for thinking about it! ('it' being the bike - perish the
thought of anything else! ;-) )

Cheers

Paul.