Scott CR1 Pro - any views?

Paul

Guest
I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was absolutely
blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the shop, who I know
well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever ridden (ok ok so maybe he
would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know if anyone on here either owns
or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.

I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842

Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found seems
positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

Cheers

Paul

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
> absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
> shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
> ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know
> if anyone on here either owns
> or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
>
> I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
>
> http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
>
> Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found
> seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie. Having
said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur groupset, and I
love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably comfortable bike - no
vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur seems to me to be a good
value point in the Campag lineup - the finish isn't as good as Chorus
or Record, and some of the materials are less exotic, but the parts are
mainly functionally identical to their Chorus/Record equivalents.

So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
> > absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
> > shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
> > ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to know
> > if anyone on here either owns
> > or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
> >
> > I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
> >
> > http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
> >
> > Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have found
> > seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie. Having
> said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur groupset, and I
> love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably comfortable bike - no
> vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur seems to me to be a good
> value point in the Campag lineup - the finish isn't as good as Chorus
> or Record, and some of the materials are less exotic, but the parts are
> mainly functionally identical to their Chorus/Record equivalents.
>
> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.

Agreed Simon - I am raving about it to be honest. There is also a slightly
cheaper version with 105 throughout and equipe wheelset rather than elite.
That goes for 300 quid less than the Centaur version but I think I'd regret
not spending that for the extra you get over 105 to be honest, added to
which I prefer Campag in any case. They are also making a big thing of the
Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved with this year's
carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for.

I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I don't
know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
knock off it.

Cheers

Paul

> I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I don't
> know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
> knock off it.

It's a lovely thing to be sure, out of my price bracket though. On the
subject of buy now or wait, just think - later in the year you will have
missed out on a spring season that you could have spent wizzing about on
your black bike. We only have a limited number of springs before we
won't be able to ride any more, why use one up in order to save a bit of
cash?

That's my current line of attack anyway... lucky for my cash sit. that
Harry Hall is closed today.

bfn,

Tony B

Paul wrote:

> On a serious note I don't
> know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what they
> knock off it.

Then you'll be wondering whether to wait for next year's model or get
this year's cheap ;-) Plus this year's riding won't be half as much fun
knowing you could have been riding your new bike and worrying if there
will be any left when you get a round tuit.

Tony

('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > I looked at this one in a shop yesterday and have to say I was
>> > absolutely blown away by the spec and looks of it. The guy in the
>> > shop, who I know well, says it's by far the best bike he has ever
>> > ridden (ok ok so maybe he would wouldn't he) but I just wanted to
>> > know if anyone on here either owns
>> > or has ridden one? C+ recently seemed to agree with him.
>> >
>> > I'd be looking at the Centaur rather than the Ultegra version:
>> >
>> > http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=5842
>> >
>> > Don't tend to see much debate about Scotts although what I have
>> > found seems positive - help me before I plonk my credit card down!!

>> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
>> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
>> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie.
>> Having said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur
>> groupset, and I love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably
>> comfortable bike - no vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur
>> seems to me to be a good value point in the Campag lineup - the
>> finish isn't as good as Chorus or Record, and some of the materials
>> are less exotic, but the parts are mainly functionally identical to
>> their Chorus/Record equivalents.
>>
>> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.
>>

> They are also making a big thing
> of the Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved
> with this year's carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride
> from a vibration point of view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness
> most would kill for.

I suspect that's marketing fluff. From my limited experience, all carbon
monocoque bikes have 'a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for'. This
isn't to say that the Scott isn't very good - I suspect it is extremely
good. Just that I'd be surprised if it's that much different from other
people's carbon bikes, many of which are also very good.

> I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I
> don't know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see
> what they knock off it.

If you buy it now, you'll get to ride it in the spring time. If you get
it at a bargain price in Autumn, you won't. Go for it.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

> Paul wrote:
> >
> > On a serious note I don't
> > know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see what

they
> > knock off it.
> >

> Then you'll be wondering whether to wait for next year's model or get
> this year's cheap ;-) Plus this year's riding won't be half as much fun
> knowing you could have been riding your new bike and worrying if there
> will be any left when you get a round tuit.
>
> Tony

<fx> groan......why did you all have to go and say that? Have some respect
for my bank balance........

;-)

Cheers

Paul

Paul wrote:

> <fx> groan......why did you all have to go and say that?

We're urc. That's what we do. ;-)

Tony

> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> in message <[email protected]>, Paul

> >> The only Scott I've ever owned is a gaspipe mountainbike which is now
> >> eighteen years old. It's given excellent service, and is still in
> >> regular use, but that doesn't tell you much about this beastie.
> >> Having said that, I do have an all-carbon bike with a Centaur
> >> groupset, and I love it to bits. Carbon makes a remarkably
> >> comfortable bike - no vibration issues, very unharsh ride. Centaur
> >> seems to me to be a good value point in the Campag lineup - the
> >> finish isn't as good as Chorus or Record, and some of the materials
> >> are less exotic, but the parts are mainly functionally identical to
> >> their Chorus/Record equivalents.
> >>
> >> So on the whole I'd suspect this would be a very nice bike indeed.
> >>

> > They are also making a big thing
> > of the Damping technology that Scott are claiming to have achieved
> > with this year's carbon as it purports to be a very forgiving ride
> > from a vibration point of view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness
> > most would kill for.

> I suspect that's marketing fluff. From my limited experience, all carbon
> monocoque bikes have 'a very forgiving ride from a vibration point of
> view whilst retaining the kind of stiffness most would kill for'. This
> isn't to say that the Scott isn't very good - I suspect it is extremely
> good. Just that I'd be surprised if it's that much different from other
> people's carbon bikes, many of which are also very good.
>
> > I daren't go and look at it again until payday!! On a serious note I
> > don't know whether to buy now or hang on til later in the year to see
> > what they knock off it.

> If you buy it now, you'll get to ride it in the spring time. If you get
> it at a bargain price in Autumn, you won't. Go for it.

Decision made Simon - I am going to but it's gonna mean that I have to go
from 2 bikes to one and sell my 2 existing ones now. What's the best place
to shift them - ebay? I tried to sell my hybrid on C+ a little while ago
but no takers. If I can move them both that will ease the pain of the
outlay for the Scott (which is still really gonna hurt!)

Cheers

Paul

Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

: Decision made Simon - I am going to but it's gonna mean that I have to go
: from 2 bikes to one and sell my 2 existing ones now. What's the best place

That's all well and good, but what will you ride in the winter when there's
lots of salt and **** on the roads? I'd keep on of your current bikes and
sell one personally. Your nice new shiny bike won't stay nice for long if
you thrash it all winter.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

<snip>

> That's all well and good, but what will you ride in the winter when

there's
> lots of salt and **** on the roads? I'd keep on of your current bikes and
> sell one personally. Your nice new shiny bike won't stay nice for long if
> you thrash it all winter.
>
> Arthur

I was thinking exactly the same thing this afternoon Arthur but where new
bikes are concerned I suffer from 'can'tmakeadecisionitis' - perfectly
understandable. On balance I'd already decided to stick hold of my hybrid
as a winter bike as, to be honest, it's quite superb for that. I have very
reluctantly advertised my OCR2 as I simply don't have the room nor the
inclination to keep 2 road bikes.

When the Giant goes the Scott CR1 is mine <fx> evil grin..............

I can't sleep for thinking about it! ('it' being the bike - perish the
thought of anything else! ;-) )

Cheers

Paul.