Scott CR1 Pro - Ultegra or Centaur

Road_Goat

Apr 18, 2006
Hi guys,

I have been hanging around here for a while and this will be my first post :cool:

I want to buy a new bike; the old Concorde is getting tired ;)

I was looking at the Scott CR1 Pro It comes in two versions; One with Ultegra the other with Centraur. I like the feel the Centaur gives me when shifting, feels precise. But the Ultegra also feels good. The price is almost the same; the Centaur version is just a little bit more expensive...

I don't know what to do, which one should I get?

Which grupo will last the longest? Maybe that should be the determining factor...:confused:

Cheers

Road_Goat said:

Which grupo will last the longest? Maybe that should be the determining factor...:confused:

Cheers
Aside from the usual wear items (chain, cables, brake pads...), either group will last you pretty much forever if propperly maintained. Campy has a bit of an edge with rebuildable shifters, but unless you're going to be putting a huge number of miles on the bike that shouldn't be a deciding factor. It pretty much comes down to aesthetic preference, and the availability of replacement parts in your area.

Road_Goat said:
Hi guys,

I have been hanging around here for a while and this will be my first post :cool:

I was looking at the Scott CR1 Pro It comes in two versions; One with Ultegra the other with Centraur. I like the feel the Centaur gives me when shifting, feels precise. But the Ultegra also feels good. The price is almost the same; the Centaur version is just a little bit more expensive...

Cheers

Both will perform well and last "long" if maintained properly. The Campagnolo stuff is more repairable if internals on the components get worn as almost every screw, spring, gear, etc... is available as a replacement part. This is less true for Shimano branded stuff. On the other hand, Shimano compatible stuff (cassettes, chainrings, etc...) is more readily available and often cheaper because they have such a larger share of the whole market.

I think the choice really comes down to which shifter mechanism you prefer: Ergo vs. STI.

Good luck. Either way you will end up with a very nice ride.

I don't think there is a difference in "quality" of the components, individually or as a groupset. But, there are differences, and whether they matter to you is a personal decision. There are clear and distinct differences in the ergonomics. For me, the issue is which shifters allow me to be precise in changing gears under the most intensive race situations such as upshifting while climbing hard off the saddle or downshifting 4-5 cogs approaching a sharp turn or sharp incline. I prefer Campy because I prefer the thumb button for upshifting the cassette and because I can downshift up to 5 cogs in one move. Another difference is the availability of cassettes. For most people, this doesn't matter and they use one cassette all the time. But, I run a compact crank (34/50) and change my cassette for different courses (whatever is necessary to ride at my preferred cadences in the key sections of the course). Cassettes are both inexpensive and easy to change, so it's the fastest way to change your drivetrain. I have cassettes from 13-29 (hillclimbs) to 11-21 (long descent). A more thorough discussion of the differences is here http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/64.htm.

Road_Goat said:
Hi guys,

Cheers
I'm a big Campagnolo fan, but I would have to say that this is a choice based primarily on personal preference. I'm with everyone else, both Shimano and Campy will work flawlessly if maintained properly.

Hi another bit of info, RIDE magazine (Dec 2006 edition) from Australia tested 12 different crank designs and the

Shimano Ultegra ranked number 1 in stiffness (20kg 0.91mm deflection and 40kg 2.08mm deflection)

Shimano Durace ranked 2 (20kg 1.05mm deflection and 40kg 2.20mm deflection)

Campy Record Carbon ranked 3rd in stiffness

Campy Chorus Carbon CT ranked 4th

Campy Centaur Carbon CT ranked 6th (20kg 1.35mm and 40kg 2.76mm deflection)

Campy Centaur Aluminium ranked 8th (20kg 1.45mm and 40kg 2.99mm deflection)

Not sure if you'll feel any difference out of the saddle, but interesting statistics all the same.

Overall when taking into account, stiffness, price, and weight they ranked the
Ultegra crank 1st,

Thanks for the info and advice guys! I must admit after riding the two bikes again I seem to lean even more towards the campy side. And if both will last equally long if maintained properly makes the choice even harder. I will phone around and see how 'available' the campy parts are (Shimano is no problem) and based on that make my final decision.

Thanks once again for all the info guys!