Scott CR1 Pro

patch70 said:
I'm only talking frame - everything else will probably be more or less equivalent.
Giant frames are made (in Taiwan) to be cheap, not to last a long time. It's why their bikes are often referred to as "disposable".
Never heard anyone here refer to Giant bikes as "disposable"', or heard of any problems with them, but they aren't all that popular here. They must have a poor quality reputation in your part of the world for a reason.

My impression is that CF frames made in Taiwan are world-class quality: this high-quality (and a good price) is the reason they are the source for so many of the high-end brands. Aren't Specialized CF frames made in Taiwan also?

I'm with DHK on this one. Most CF frames are now made in Taiwan... and quite a few are made by Giant for other manufacturers. I do not own a Giant, but they appear to be very nice bikes. Why pick on them?

patch70 said:
Given that you are averaging only about 50 miles per week, that is not unexpected. If both you and your friend are riding that sort of distance, definitely go for the cheaper bike.

However, if you start riding the bike more like 10,000 miles per year, you'll find that the Giant is only likely to last you 2 - 3 years whereas the Specialized will probably double that. So the initial cost being 50% less does not translate into a 50% money saving.
Average is about 120 miles per week, I have my other Giant bike too that I use too and add mountainbiking to kick. Still not 10,000 but with no stomach I'm limited to my distance. Like others have stated, alot of the carbon frames are made in Taiwan. Saying a more expensive bike will last longer is not true. Most of the added expense on bikes are components and smaller carbon pieces, not the frame/fork. There is no documentation that a more expensive Specialized bike will outlast a Giant. Your paying for the bling factor of components and other parts. The 2005 TCR 2 is an outright great value for the full carbon and components you get. Oh and the blue is just plain nice.

patch70 said:
I'm only talking frame - everything else will probably be more or less equivalent.
Giant frames are made (in Taiwan) to be cheap, not to last a long time. It's why their bikes are often referred to as "disposable".
Thats just pure ignorance. Companies are moving their manufacturing to taiwan as it reduces their production costs thereby increasing a profit margin on the product. Colnago has also shifted some of their production to Taiwan as well. I'd like to see you call a Colnago frame a cheapo disposable frame.

Fact is the quality of production in Taiwan is so good now, companies have no financial reason not to produce some of their frames there.

Giant bikes are cheap becos they produce lots, and benefit from the economies of scales.

thomas_cho said:
Thats just pure ignorance. Companies are moving their manufacturing to taiwan as it reduces their production costs thereby increasing a profit margin on the product. Colnago has also shifted some of their production to Taiwan as well. I'd like to see you call a Colnago frame a cheapo disposable frame.

Fact is the quality of production in Taiwan is so good now, companies have no financial reason not to produce some of their frames there.

Giant bikes are cheap becos they produce lots, and benefit from the economies of scales.
Ditto, Giant's sales are definitely better giving them more room for a lower retail. If you go to most LBS that carry Specilaized you can purchase a 2005 Specialized carbon for a $1000.00 off of retail (depending on the model). That does not mean it's disposable.

Hi

Don't understand why GIANT are getting a bagging, technically they have some of the best carbon frames at the top end of the market and like everbody has said longetivity is due to many factors. Any doubters should check out this site, http://www.magentareign.com/

deckard said:
Ditto, Giant's sales are definitely better giving them more room for a lower retail. If you go to most LBS that carry Specilaized you can purchase a 2005 Specialized carbon for a $1000.00 off of retail (depending on the model). That does not mean it's disposable.

thomas_cho said:

Colnago get their cheap, low quality frames made in Taiwan. They make all their expensive, top end frames in Italy.

I wouldn't buy a Daewoo or a Hyundai car, even a top of the range one. The quality is not that good, though the prices are cheap. Same with Giants.

I've read complaints that Giant CF frames are "dead" feeling and/or flexy, emphasizing shock absorption over responsiveness and power transfer. On the other hand, reviews suggest that the Scott CR-1 line is less appropriate for long rides due to only filtering smaller road vibration, but it has superior stiffness. Has anyone had experiences matching or contradicting these impressions?

If one's Giant CF frame breaks while "just riding along" in 2 or however many years, it should be covered by Giant's lifetime warranty (to original owner).

I got a CR1 here in Dubai in October of 2005. I've put about 2500 miles on it including a few RR's. I have had zero problems with it, and the only change i've made is a new chain after about 2000 miles. Other than that it looks, feels, and rides like it did when i got it.

patch70 said:
Colnago get their cheap, low quality frames made in Taiwan. They make all their expensive, top end frames in Italy.

I wouldn't buy a Daewoo or a Hyundai car, even a top of the range one. The quality is not that good, though the prices are cheap. Same with Giants.
I guess T-Mobile better make a change then...........:rolleyes:

deckard said:
I guess T-Mobile better make a change then......
They get ~4 frames per year so longevity is not really an issue.

(This does not mean anything but they have not performed as well on Giants as when they were on Pinarellos...)