Scott Cr1 Vs Kestrel Talon

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gurrie, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    I am considering these two bikes for Triathlon (IM and half IM) races.

    Can anyone provide any pros and cons on these two and why I should go one
    over the other?

    Thanks,

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Well scott are good bikes so i recommend that you buy that one, but
    the kestrel i have never heard of so do some further research before
    you decide to buy it.

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yer buy the scott its good

  4. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well scott are good bikes so i recommend that you buy that one, but
    > the kestrel i have never heard of so do some further research before
    > you decide to buy it.

    Kestrel has been around building quality carbon frames for many years. The
    Scott CR1 is an awesome frame, but may cross the line into the "stupid
    light" category. I've seen it. I have a friend who is riding one now. He
    loves it. But I wonder how well it's going to hold up. The tubes are
    absolutely whisper thin and word is they can easily be destroyed by mistake
    in a shop stand. I'm not sure I'd want to entrust my welfare to a frame
    that's quite so fragile.

    Do plenty of homework.

    Bob C.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Well scott are good bikes so i recommend that you buy that one, but
    >> the kestrel i have never heard of so do some further research before
    >> you decide to buy it.

    >Kestrel has been around building quality carbon frames for many years. The
    >Scott CR1 is an awesome frame, but may cross the line into the "stupid
    >light" category. I've seen it. I have a friend who is riding one now. He
    >loves it. But I wonder how well it's going to hold up. The tubes are
    >absolutely whisper thin and word is they can easily be destroyed by mistake
    >in a shop stand. I'm not sure I'd want to entrust my welfare to a frame
    >that's quite so fragile.

    Many frames nowadays are super thin and a ham fisted wrench could crush
    them. That is why most shops will not clamp on a frame tube. They clamp
    on the seat post. I would buy from Kestrel because they have a long track
    record and make their own frames. Some how I think Scott is a "ship the
    design specs off to China to see who can make it the cheapest" company
    -----------------
    Alex

  6. And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????

    Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Well scott are good bikes so i recommend that you buy that one, but
    >>> the kestrel i have never heard of so do some further research before
    >>> you decide to buy it.

    >>Kestrel has been around building quality carbon frames for many years.
    >>The
    >>Scott CR1 is an awesome frame, but may cross the line into the "stupid
    >>light" category. I've seen it. I have a friend who is riding one now.
    >>He
    >>loves it. But I wonder how well it's going to hold up. The tubes are
    >>absolutely whisper thin and word is they can easily be destroyed by
    >>mistake
    >>in a shop stand. I'm not sure I'd want to entrust my welfare to a frame
    >>that's quite so fragile.

    > Many frames nowadays are super thin and a ham fisted wrench could crush
    > them. That is why most shops will not clamp on a frame tube. They clamp
    > on the seat post. I would buy from Kestrel because they have a long track
    > record and make their own frames. Some how I think Scott is a "ship the
    > design specs off to China to see who can make it the cheapest" company

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????
    >
    > Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    Watsonville California up until recently. They may still be made there, I
    just don't know for certain.

  8. Chris wrote:

    > "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????
    >>
    >>Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    > Watsonville California up until recently. They may still be made there, I
    > just don't know for certain.

    Lots of carbon shops in Taiwan.
    Lots of steel shops in Taiwan.
    Darnit,lots of semiconductor shops in Taiwan.

    Some assembly required, can be done where the "skilled" labour
    (craftsmanship) is.

  9. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????
    > >
    > > Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    > Watsonville California up until recently. They may still be made there, I
    > just don't know for certain.

    Chris, I spoke to one of their reps at the SFGP and he said that the
    manufacturing is now done in Taiwan.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "It looks like the squirrel's been showing everybody
    where he keeps his nuts."

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  10. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    > > "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????
    > >>
    > >>Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    > > Watsonville California up until recently. They may still be made there, I
    > > just don't know for certain.

    > Lots of carbon shops in Taiwan.
    > Lots of steel shops in Taiwan.
    > Darnit,lots of semiconductor shops in Taiwan.

    There will soon be lots of semiconductor shops in mainland China, too.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "It looks like the squirrel's been showing everybody
    where he keeps his nuts."

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  11. Dude,

    While thumbing through the Taiwan Export catalog (one of my colleagues
    imports from there) one of the suppliers uses the Kestrel as their marketing
    piece. Kestrel, Airborne, and about a dozen other names (Habanero is a
    $200.00 frame marked up to $700 for your pleasure) are all made in Taiwan
    and China.

    > "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> And where do you think Kestrel frames are made????
    >>
    >> Wake up -- most stuff is made in China and Taiwain.

    > Watsonville California up until recently. They may still be made there, I
    > just don't know for certain.
    >

    >> "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >> > says...

    >> > Many frames nowadays are super thin and a ham fisted wrench could crush
    >> > them. That is why most shops will not clamp on a frame tube. They

    > clamp
    >> > on the seat post. I would buy from Kestrel because they have a long

    > track
    >> > record and make their own frames. Some how I think Scott is a "ship
    >> > the
    >> > design specs off to China to see who can make it the cheapest" company

    ---