SCOTT P2 Bike - good or bad or ugly??

iain williams

Banned
Mar 7, 2008
Hello - Just joined! People here seem helpful & friendly. I hope you can provide some advice to me. :) I am a newbie!

I'm buying a bike for travelling to work each day (25 kms return), for the odd forest or four wheel drive track, and to maintain/vary my fitness routine. I also want to have something that allows me to scoot over gutters if required. I am 5/8 in height and weigh 78 KG.

Price is not that important, although I've set a rough arbitury $1500.00 limit.

Originally, I decided on a FELT QX 80, however, stock is zero. I then looked at the Avanti Illusion (but the dealer was pretty ordinary) and the bike didn't really appeal to me. Another dealer (very helpful) showed me a Scott P1/P2 which I did like. :D
  • Anyone know of any problems with this model (P1 & P2)?
  • As a new rider, is this model suitable for my requirements (communiting & low key off road now and again)?
  • Is this model a "quality machine"?
I was told that the running gear on the P1 & P2 is very good. I also have been told that the frame on the Scott is similar is style and quality to the Felt frame. The dealer said that most frames are similar at this price, however, running gear is not. Therefore, it's more important to go for higher end running gear.

So what are the more knowledgable people's thoughts - P1 or P2? Scott brand OK? :confused:

Many thanks.................Iain

Well if you don't like a mass produced bike for whatever reason then you may want to start if you get the Scott and at 1500 your hard pressed not too. Having said that the dealer is right don't worry about the frame but focus on the best components instead.

gemship said:
Having said that the dealer is right don't worry about the frame but focus on the best components instead.
Hi Gemship - I'm very new to bikes so please cut me some slack.

So, if I buy based on components, the Scott P1 is the better machine, despite it having disc brakes (your comments in my other thread re: brakes).

http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/74/sportster

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/74/681/sportster_p2

The main component differences between the 2 models are that the P1 has higher end: forks, headset, derailleur, shifters, brake levers, crankset, BB-set, H-stem and hubs - with the inclussion of discs.

I'm really not sure which way to go - P1 (with suppiid better components and discs) or P2 with V-brakes).

Can someone advise me?? Many thanks.....IAIN

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Actually I checked out the two links and from what I can see I think you should get the P2. Both bikes are pretty evenly spec'd out it seems with the exception to the brakes. Personally I like the v-brakes and had I to do it over again would of stuck with those. Just not a fan of disc, I think they have a kind of novelty to them more than a improvment but thats subjective. Another selling point of the P2 is being a good 350$ cheaper, thats alot of good accessories or a couple great ones ;)

gem ship said:
Another selling point of the P2 is being a good 350$ cheaper, thats alot of good accessories or a couple great ones ;)
Yes I agree Gemship. The P2 also has the ability of a disc upgrade if at some future time I decide I want discs. Considering most of the time I'm on the road traveling to/from work, discs are overkill to some extent.

After considerable time trolling the net and researching the various components, it seems that the differences between the P1 and P2 (excluding disc brakes) are pretty march marginal - in other words the components are quality in both bikes. :)

I'm ordering on Tuesday - so will sleep on it for two nights.

In the end, it probably doesn't make much difference if I buy the P1 or P2 - both are pretty good bikes from my research - availability will probably make my decison. :D

Thanks for your help Gemship (I only decided 4 days ago to buy a bike as my friend at work is into riding and wants me to tag with him on the way to work)......Iain

Thanks for your help Gemship (I only decided 4 days ago to buy a bike as my friend at work is into riding and wants me to tag with him on the way to work)......Iain[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, sounds like the start of a new found joy. I too commute to work by bicycling. My commute is 26 miles roundtrip and I live the New England part of the US, Gloucester, Massachuesetts to be exact. I wish I cycle to work all the time however the weather doesn't always cooperate. That's really cool that you have a friend to encourage you. A friend of mine told me to that I need to read a book titled, " Bicycling the noblest invention" and with that how could any one go wrong with the purchase of a new bike.

Good Luck with the new bike!

Just reading the P1/P2 specs again and noted that the front fork has a travel distance of 50mm (2 inches).

Is this enough distance? :confused:

A local commented that 2 inches was rather short and he recommended only buying a bike with a travel distance of (100mm) 4 inches! That said, he mainly travels offroad...............Iain

iain williams said:
Just reading the P1/P2 specs again and noted that the front fork has a travel distance of 50mm (2 inches).

Is this enough distance? :confused:

A local commented that 2 inches was rather short and he recommended only buying a bike with a travel distance of (100mm) 4 inches! That said, he mainly travels offroad...............Iain

a couple of inches is plenty Iain, if you'r only using the bike on the road. In fact you may not even want to bother with the suspension in which case the fork should have what is known as a lockout feature. Even if you take to the woods depending on how hard you ride I don't believe that the extra travel would make much difference. At least not for light trail riding with two wheels on the ground at all times. Hope that helps.

gemship said:
a couple of inches is plenty Iain, if you'r only using the bike on the road. In fact you may not even want to bother with the suspension in which case the fork should have what is known as a lockout feature. Even if you take to the woods depending on how hard you ride I don't believe that the extra travel would make much difference. At least not for light trail riding with two wheels on the ground at all times. Hope that helps.
Yes Gemship it does help - thanks.

It seems that mountain bikers want the most extreme of everything (and this maybe required in theor circumstances), but as most of my work will be commuting and light trails now and again - not descending cliffs, jumping off bridge and riding along water courses, the few inches will be fine. Take care....Iain

iain williams said:
Hello - Just joined! People here seem helpful & friendly. I hope you can provide some advice to me. :) I am a newbie!

I'm buying a bike for travelling to work each day (25 kms return), for the odd forest or four wheel drive track, and to maintain/vary my fitness routine. I also want to have something that allows me to scoot over gutters if required. I am 5/8 in height and weigh 78 KG.

Price is not that important, although I've set a rough arbitury $1500.00 limit.

Originally, I decided on a FELT QX 80, however, stock is zero. I then looked at the Avanti Illusion (but the dealer was pretty ordinary) and the bike didn't really appeal to me. Another dealer (very helpful) showed me a Scott P1/P2 which I did like. :D
  • Anyone know of any problems with this model (P1 & P2)?
  • As a new rider, is this model suitable for my requirements (communiting & low key off road now and again)?
  • Is this model a "quality machine"?
I was told that the running gear on the P1 & P2 is very good. I also have been told that the frame on the Scott is similar is style and quality to the Felt frame. The dealer said that most frames are similar at this price, however, running gear is not. Therefore, it's more important to go for higher end running gear.

So what are the more knowledgable people's thoughts - P1 or P2? Scott brand OK? :confused:

Many thanks.................Iain
page 1

Hi - Well I finally decided and bought the Scott Sporster P1.
300 mile on the clock to date and I'm very impressed. Easy to ride, well balanced with good handling. Disc brakes, once worn in, are excellent.
Overall, a great commuter bike, although the sister P2, P3 & P4 probably would have done the same thing.............Iain