Scott Scale 60 2009 vs GT Avalanche Expert 2009?

shimanofish said:
Hi there looking to buy either a Scott Scale 60 2009 vs GT Avalanche Expert 2009 to do some light/med trails and a little road riding. Both bikes are similar in price, just wondering if anyone has any opinions about the two or what you recommend.

Here are the links for spec details
SCOTT | Bike | Mountain | Scale | Scale 60
http://www.gtbicycles.com/aus/eng/Products/Mountain/Adventure/#5728
If my choice were ONLY between those two bikes, then I would get the SCOTT ... but, mainly because it comes with a FLAT BAR, and that's what I prefer ... so, it would be one less thing for me to change (up front or in the future) ... a trivial basis, eh?

FWIW. Since I don't think there is a signficant difference from one hardtail frame to another other than weight, I would suggest that you buy a frame, separately, buy the best fork & wheels you can afford, and then buy the rest with the money that's left over from your budget.

Unless your LBS is having an end-of-the-season sale, then I think you can build a better equipped hardtail than either of those with the budget you have apparently allocated OR you can probably build a comparably equipped bike for less than the discounted price that the LBS may have the two bikes available for sale.

shimanofish said:
These two bikes intrest me due to the fact that they on end of stock sale.
If that is the case, then I would still go with the SCOTT ... unless you decide you hate the LBS who is selling it ...

OR, if you happen to like the look of the GT frame, then that can certainly be the deciding factor because, as you said, the components are pretty much the same.

Although, if I were looking for a full suspension MTB, I would probably opt for a GT because I think their i-drive was great a half-dozen or so years ago (virtually no bobbing when pedaling), and the updated version must be better.