Scott Speedster S10

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by msander19, Aug 26, 2006.

1. msander19

msander19 New Member

Anyone have an opinion on this bike?

Tags:

2. msander19

msander19 New Member

Someone must have tried the bike, or one of the others in the Scott lineup. At the very least I know that someone has heard something about it! lol

3. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

I was going to test ride one last week but they had none in my size and the 2007's weren't due for another couple of weeks.

They look like nice bikes, and they seem about the same as every other bike in that same price range.

I am a newb in this whole road-cycling arena though and went for a 2006 LeMond Chambery. I have to admit, the LeMond itself looks a little 'daggy' compared to the Scott, but it is just great to ride.

4. msander19

msander19 New Member

I haven't seen many for sale which is making me question what the bike has going for it. The one I'd be getting was ridden for about a week, less then 50 miles, so basically brand new. I'd be getting it for about $850, fair price?

5. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

Like I said, I am a newb, but it sounds very fair, especially if it is the 2006 model.

The problem is:
    1) can you trust the sellers word, has it only done 50km?
    2) how do you know it is not damaged?
    3) is it the right size?
    4) bear in mind it has carbon forks and rear seat stays. I am no expert here, but it can be fairly easily damaged if the bike was dropped or banged or anything.

Do you get to see the bike before buying or is this eBay or something?

6. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

Is that Aussie dollars or some other variety? I was working in Aussie dollars, so I don't know how many US that is.

7. msander19

msander19 New Member

That's USD, which at the current canadian exchange is pretty much straight across the board. It's over the internet so I'll have to rely on his past feedback and paypal's buyer protection. He seems like a pretty square guy but one's always taking a chance when dealing online. Oh, btw, $850 USD is 644 Aussie.

8. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

$850 USD is $1123 AUD and $943 CAD.

You did the conversion from USD to AUD backwards.

9. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

Still a good price though. They go for about AU$2400 here before seriously knocking the store price down.

10. scho047

scho047 New Member

hey there,

i recently bought Scoot Speedster S30, similar frame with downgraded components compared to S10 - 105 not Ultegra....
    its a beautiful bike! i love it to bits....very fast and smooth ride....
    i have bought the 06 model as 07 was coming but they were getting rid of it on a specail sale price....
    bought it for $1625 nz$ which i think its pretty good deal for a bike with 105 components...

11. SimonK

SimonK New Member

I have had my S10 since February and I am coming up to 10,000 km's on it.
    It is a fast smooth ride and have had no problems with the bike. I am very happy with it.

12. scho047

scho047 New Member

how frequently do you guys ride? and how many km would you cover in a year??
    am a newbie to this whole cycling scene....as i only really started out as part of my rehab programme.... but fell in love now...so i do about 100 to 150km a week....
    is this reasonable??

13. SimonK

SimonK New Member

I am riding 6 - 7 days a week and doing 300 - 400 km's a week.
    Whether what you are doing is reasonable depends on what you are training for.
    The most important thing is that you are enjoying you riding.

14. scho047

scho047 New Member

oh wow....thats a lot of km you do in one week!! geeez...;)
    wish i have the stamina to be able to get that kind of distance! although i hope to one day as i am only begining to get fully into this scene...and also still recovering from two major knee/leg operations....so fingers crossed...i hope to enter few competitions next year in march to do 160km race :D that will be fun... any tips on clocking long distances???

15. eagles724

eagles724 New Member

I have this model of Scott. I bought it back in the beginning of August (a 2006 model). Obviously, it is still new but I very pleased with it. It is comfortable and gives a relatively smooth. I never considered a "Scott" because being relatively new to the sport, I never heard of it. I test road it and decided it was for me. So far, it has been a very pleasant relationship between us.

16. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

Good Frame, but sucky Components for the price. Shimano 105 should be banned from all Scott Bikes. :rolleyes:

17. scho047

scho047 New Member

what is wrong with 105 components?? its fantastic and such a smooth gearing system for how much it costs! i mean sure duraace and ultegra will be the best system you will get but if it is not in your budget range i think 105 would be just as good.... well thats my view anyway... i mean i realise that you can spends so much in cycling to get the best possible componets but then what is the point...unless you are like say lance armstrong... hehe...
    so bottom line... i give two thumbs up for 105 and scott bikes...! i love it :D

18. themetalman

themetalman New Member

i picked up as scott speedster, frame with the cr1 fork and then installed full campy chorus. i am about 300 hundred lbs, and man that frame can handle me ......

19. marcel-matthias

marcel-matthias New Member

i have mine s1o with ultregra since march and i confirm your mind about the bike. it´s a great construction :) and it runs perfect, even on the nordschleife in germany with a speed of 58mph! what i did was 2 chance the original wheels to easton sl.
    m-m o9-26 2oo6

20. Strid

Strid New Member

I have a Scott Speedster myself, I think it's great geometry and relatively stiff, though its a pure alloy frame (not with carbon fork).

I'm looking to buy a S1 frame (not S10) to bulid my next bike over the winter. I would prefer the S1 frame over the S10 because while the S10 may have a carbon rear fork, I'm worried about crashing and having a useless frame. I do rowing and we have carbon everything, oars, boat hulls, riggers etc. and it's not unusual to see something that is tested to hold over 1 ton of pressure break all of a sudden when you're out rowing (you don't generate more than about 70 kgs of force continously).
    Since I don't race or anything, I'd prefer as little carbon as possible. Aluminium/alloy parts are almost as good, cheaper and are less prone to stress fractures.

My ideal bike would be an alu Speedster frame with carbon fork and then probably Ultegra group on it. I think its too bad that Scott puts 105 on good frames. Nothing wrong with 105, but that's just not the bike I (would) want.

Just my thoughts about the S10. :)
    Anders