Scott Speedster S30 - looking to upgrade, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DEVR2000, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DEVR2000

DEVR2000 New Member

I have a Scott Speedster S30 2010. I am just about to begin a round of upgrades. First stop is brakes - replacing the own brand brakes. And I also want to chnage the wheels - currently Scott Comp hubs with Alex Race 28 aero profile rims.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for better perfromance from the brakes and a weight advantage from the wheels. I'm cycling in French Alps next summer. Don't want to spend a fortune though.

thanks, D

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

For brakes, try finding some used 105 or ultegra calipers. The standard Shimano pads on these should do fine. You need to bear in mind that rim brakes are never going to be the same as Brembos and the differences between the big brands are pretty small.

As for wheels, I personally wouldn't bother. A lighter set of wheels isn't going to make the difference between getting over a pass or not. The only real reason to upgrade these (if you aren't racing) is if they're not reliable. I always plump for aluminium rims hand laced with double butted spokes to some nice hubs (again shimano ultegra or similar is the value point).

The cheapest way to remove rotating mass is to get some nice tyres.

3. DEVR2000

DEVR2000 New Member

thanks v much ... sound advice no doubt