Scraches on Ultegra/ Dura Ace

Linz

Guest
I seem to recall that some time ago, someone posted some useful stuff about how to polish scratches
out of Ultegra / Dura Ace components.

Is there any chance of posting it again as my groupset needs tidying up!!

Thanks

"Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I seem to recall that some time ago, someone posted some useful stuff about how to polish
> scratches out of Ultegra / Dura Ace components.
>
> Is there any chance of posting it again as my groupset needs tidying up!!
>
> Thanks

Mother's Mad and Aluminun polish was suggested. Personally - I like emory clothes.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=20000224205636.14207.00001582%4-
0ng-ce1.aol.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dpolish%2Bshimano%2Bgroup:rec.bicycles.tech%26hl%3Den%26lr-
%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D20000224205636.14207.00001582%2540ng-ce1.aol.com%26rnum%3D1

"Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I seem to recall that some time ago, someone posted some useful stuff about how to polish
> scratches out of Ultegra / Dura Ace components.
>
> Is there any chance of posting it again as my groupset needs tidying up!!

AFAIK, Dura Ace and Ultegra components are anodized. If you polish them up in one spot, you'll take
the finish off, and it will be obviously different. At least that's what happened to me. I couldn't
get the polished areas to look similar to the original finish; but it did make the badly scratched
areas look better.

I've used 00 or 000 grade steel wool for tough scratches, and finished it to a fine luster with Nevr
Dull cotton wadding metal polish (comes in a blue tin). A bench grinder with a buffing wheel and
some polishing rouge is probably a better choice for finishing.

I've heard that ammonia will remove anodizing if you want to go that far. If you put a chrome-like
high polish on your components, it would look beautiful. You're probably looking at a couple of
evenings worth of work; but you'd have one gorgeous gruppo when you're done.

-Barry

It would look good if you are willing to put the work in, but trust me from someone who polishes his
al road and mtb bikes, the polish will only last for a couple days before it starts to oxidize an
goes dull again, requiring almost all the work again. and this assumes you are riding in the dry all
the time and not on any salted roads! whihch only speeds it up.

There is a reason why most Als have some sort of clear coating on the outside.

hope this helps...

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EDHia.305532$F1.51629@sccrnsc04...
> "Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I seem to recall that some time ago, someone posted some useful stuff about how to polish
> > scratches out of Ultegra / Dura Ace components.
> >
> > Is there any chance of posting it again as my groupset needs tidying
up!!

> AFAIK, Dura Ace and Ultegra components are anodized. If you polish them up in one spot, you'll
> take the finish off, and it will be obviously
different.
> At least that's what happened to me. I couldn't get the polished areas to look similar to the
> original finish; but it did make the badly scratched areas look better.
>
> I've used 00 or 000 grade steel wool for tough scratches, and finished it
> a fine luster with Nevr Dull cotton wadding metal polish (comes in a blue tin). A bench grinder
> with a buffing wheel and some polishing rouge is probably a better choice for finishing.
>
> I've heard that ammonia will remove anodizing if you want to go that far. If you put a chrome-like
> high polish on your components, it would look beautiful. You're probably looking at a couple of
> evenings worth of work; but you'd have one gorgeous gruppo when you're done.
>
> -Barry

Have you considered doing a fantastically damn good job of polishing once, then putting some krylon
clear coat on or something? Seems like a lot of effort to put in if it just fades...

Jon Bond

Me wrote:
> It would look good if you are willing to put the work in, but trust me from someone who polishes
> his al road and mtb bikes, the polish will only last for a couple days before it starts to oxidize
> an goes dull again, requiring almost all the work again. and this assumes you are riding in the
> dry all the time and not on any salted roads! whihch only speeds it up.
>
> There is a reason why most Als have some sort of clear coating on the outside.
>
> hope this helps...
>

> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:EDHia.305532$F1.51629@sccrnsc04...
>
>>"Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I seem to recall that some time ago, someone posted some useful stuff about how to polish
>>>scratches out of Ultegra / Dura Ace components.
>>>
>>>Is there any chance of posting it again as my groupset needs tidying
>>
> up!!
>
>>AFAIK, Dura Ace and Ultegra components are anodized. If you polish them up in one spot, you'll
>>take the finish off, and it will be obviously
>
> different.
>
>>At least that's what happened to me. I couldn't get the polished areas to look similar to the
>>original finish; but it did make the badly scratched areas look better.
>>
>>I've used 00 or 000 grade steel wool for tough scratches, and finished it

>>a fine luster with Nevr Dull cotton wadding metal polish (comes in a blue tin). A bench grinder
>>with a buffing wheel and some polishing rouge is probably a better choice for finishing.
>>
>>I've heard that ammonia will remove anodizing if you want to go that far. If you put a chrome-like
>>high polish on your components, it would look beautiful. You're probably looking at a couple of
>>evenings worth of work; but you'd have one gorgeous gruppo when you're done.
>>
>>-Barry

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you considered doing a fantastically damn good job of polishing once, then putting some
> krylon clear coat on or something? Seems like a lot of effort to put in if it just fades...

But a clear spray just falls away from unprimered metals in a short time. You're better off
polishing/waxing occasionally if you have an bare surface.