Scrambled eggs

biig wrote:

> There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website that explains
> how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water, something like
> melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist eggs. I don't
> like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even in a
> nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
>
> http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_recipe.htm

The web site isn't trying to take CREDIT for that method, are they? It's
what Escoffier wrote more than a century ago!

Bob

"biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website
> that explains
> how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water,
> something like
> melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist
> eggs. I don't
> like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the
> clean-up...even in a
> nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
>
> http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_recipe.htm

Called Rumbled Eggs.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=rumbledeggs

MoM

On Mon 02 Jan 2006 07:13:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think this is the best way to cook them. Works every time.
>>
>> Bron

> What is?

Apparently, scrambled eggs cook in the MW. That's what she was responding
to.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

biig wrote:
> There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website that explains
> how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water, something like
> melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist eggs. I don't
> like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even in a
> nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
>
> http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_recipe.htm

I cook my scrambleds in a non-stick and they come out moist, fluffy and
not browned. You simply must cook them on low, covered, and keep an
eye on them.
-L.

In article <[email protected]>, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

> There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website that explains
> how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water, something like
> melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist eggs. I don't
> like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even in a
> nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
>
> http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_recipe.htm

I don't like my eggs dry and brown either, but I don't have a problem.
I turn the heat under the frypan on low and melt the butter. Once it is
melted I add the scrambled eggs. I stir constantly with a spatula,
letting the liquid come in contact with the bottom of the pan. When it
is set, I scoop out the eggs onto the serving plate, or directly onto
the eating plates. With a non-stick pan, it all comes out, and there is
nothing to clean except the film of butter.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

at Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:52:32 GMT in <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (biig) wrote :

>AC wrote:
>>
>> biig wrote:
>>
>> >I don't like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the
>> >clean-up...even

>> in a
>> > nonstick pan.

>> if your eggs are dry and brown when you get done cooking them then
>> you're likely using too much heat...

> I don't have a problem making scrambled eggs the way I like them...I
>was mostly referring to some I've had at restaurants.

IME the issues with restaurant scrambled eggs have to do with them commonly
cooking them over a griddle. This isn't IMHO a good idea. The griddle is
too hot and furthermore has open sides. In addition they're "stirring" with
a metal spatula, not with a spoon. The overall result is what I call
"chopped omelette".

My way to do scrambled eggs is in a pot with high sides (which traps
moisture) over medium-low heat and stirring with a spoon. You want to stir
relatively frequently although not like a madman. So slower pace than for
instance for custard.

I've also found that a regular (not non-stick) pot also works slightly
better because butter or other fat tends to pool in a non-stick pot and
inhibit good even cooking across the bottom. Furthermore it's difficult to
get a good scraping action with a spoon without risking the finish on the
pot no matter what, so non-stick is usually out for this application.
Nonstick is better for omelettes - which again to some degree means that
even in the home a lot of people are basically recreating chopped omelette
when they try to make scrambled eggs.

--
Alex Rast
[email protected]

-L wrote:

> I cook my scrambleds in a non-stick and they come out moist, fluffy and
> not browned. You simply must cook them on low, covered, and keep an
> eye on them.

I cook my scrambled eggs in a nonstick and they come out moist, fluffy, and
not browned. You simply must cook them on high heat, uncovered, with
frequent passes of a wide spatula, and take them off the heat about ten
seconds before you think you should.

Cook's Illustrated agrees with me.

Bob

stitcher wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website that explains
> > how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water, something like
> > melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist eggs. I don't
> > like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even in a
> > nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
> >

> I went to a New Year's Day brunch yesterday and the hostess made
> scrambled
> eggs for 28 people this way -- had a large roasting pan filled with the
> hot water,
> placed another large pan into the water and stirred every few minutes
> until the
> eggs were done. Delicious and easy way to make eggs for a crowd.

That's a great idea. ....Sharon

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
> > There's a recipe on "The Great British Kitchen" website that explains
> > how to cook scrambled eggs in a bowl over boiling water, something like
> > melting chocolate. Makes sense since you get nice moist eggs. I don't
> > like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even in a
> > nonstick pan. I'll try this recipe soon....Sharon
> >
> > http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_recipe.htm

> The web site isn't trying to take CREDIT for that method, are they? It's
> what Escoffier wrote more than a century ago!
>
> Bob

I don't know Bob....There is quite a collection of recipes
there. ..worth a look IMHO....Sharon

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:52:32 GMT in <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (biig) wrote :
>

> >AC wrote:

> >> in a
> >>
> >> if your eggs are dry and brown when you get done cooking them then
> >> you're likely using too much heat...

> > I don't have a problem making scrambled eggs the way I like them...I
> >was mostly referring to some I've had at restaurants.

> IME the issues with restaurant scrambled eggs have to do with them commonly
> cooking them over a griddle. This isn't IMHO a good idea. The griddle is
> too hot and furthermore has open sides. In addition they're "stirring" with
> a metal spatula, not with a spoon. The overall result is what I call
> "chopped omelette".
>
> My way to do scrambled eggs is in a pot with high sides (which traps
> moisture) over medium-low heat and stirring with a spoon. You want to stir
> relatively frequently although not like a madman. So slower pace than for
> instance for custard.
>
> I've also found that a regular (not non-stick) pot also works slightly
> better because butter or other fat tends to pool in a non-stick pot and
> inhibit good even cooking across the bottom. Furthermore it's difficult to
> get a good scraping action with a spoon without risking the finish on the
> pot no matter what, so non-stick is usually out for this application.

I use a silicone spatula. But it does move the butter off the pan and
therefore, that's why the eggs stick a bit...nothing serious, but a bit.

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, AC wrote:
>

> > biig wrote:
> >

> > >I don't like my scr. eggs dry and brown and don't like the clean-up...even

> > in a
> > > nonstick pan.

> > if your eggs are dry and brown when you get done cooking them then you're
> > likely using too much heat. if the eggs are sticking to the nonstick pan,
> > you may not have enough fat in the pan. cook them gently and use some butter
> > in the pan and you'll have light fluffy eggs and clean up will be much
> > easier too.
> >

> I totally agree. What are you guys doing to those eggs??? Just like
> anything else, there is a "done", a "well done" and a cremated.
>
> Cooking too fast is the main reason for "dry" and cremated is the reason
> for brown.
>
> If you let your pan get too hot before you put in the eggs, they will sear
> and brown.
>
> Using a non-stick pan does not eliminate the need for fat in the pan. I
> use butter. I also use cooking spray, sometimes. Warm the pan, allowing
> the butter to melt and drop in the eggs. The more you "mash" them up, the
> dryer they will be because you are breaking the egg in to tiny bits and
> each "bit" is drying out faster. Don't overwork them in the pan.
>
> After scrambling, I clean up my non-stick pan with a paper towel.

I do it exactly like that except I'm sure I use more butter and I do
work the egss pretty much with a plasticware fork. The key is low
heat. Eggs in general are not easy, but they're the single most
important food.

> Elaine, too

--Bryan