Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel

andyman2

Aug 23, 2004
Hey all,

I'm new here, so if I mess up the posting etiquette at all, forgive me.

I'm heading over to Wal-Mart soon to buy an absolute bottom-of-the-line "bicycle" because I want something to ride back and forth to class that I won't miss terribly if it gets stolen.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting into trail riding for some time now and it's occurred to me that since I'll be laying out some money for a knobby-tired bike anyway it might make sense to get one that I could use to at least get my feet wet. Again, the problem is that I don't want to buy anything that I'd miss when/if it is inevitably stolen.

So the question is, does a bike exist in the ~$100 range that won't instantly disintegrate when it has to do some work? Any advice would be appreciated. If you know something to certainly stay away from, I'd appreciate that too. If it matters, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs.

Thanks!
Andy

Be sure to ask about their service program and who you should talk to when you have problems or need repairs.

I assume they have someone in the bike department who can help insure you buy the right size bike and can make sure it fits properly?

Good call on the repairs. As to whether their personnel can size me properly, I couldn't guess, but I think I can get close enough on my own if they're no help. Thanks for the response.

Department stores that sell bikes don't really have a bicycle service department, they have some guys warehouse guys/gals kicking around the back that are all-purpose handymen/handywomen. Not only do they assemble/service bikes, they assemble/service lawn-mowers, patio furtunature, BBQ's and anything remotely mechanical. The bicycle specific training they get is handed down from the other warehouse staff, none of which got any proper training either.

I hear what you are saying about needing to buy a bike that you did not invest a lot of $$$ into, but a bottom-end bike just won't cut it for trail riding, especially given that you are not a flyweight.

What I might suggest is hitting the second-hand bike markets (local paper, pawn shops, maybe even Ebay) and seeing what is out there in your area. See if you have a friend or a friend of a friend that has some experience with bike that can take a peek at a second hand bike before you buy. Look for something with a frame made from cromoly (not high-tensile steel), alloy rims (not chromed steel) and pay close attention to the seals around any bearing (hubs, bottom bracket, headset, ect) to ensure they have some kind of rubber seal. Look for a bike without a suspension fork.

Leave $50 for a decent U-Lock made by a company called Kryponite, and learn how to properly lock up your bike. At this point you have a used bike guarded by a very hard to break lock, which equates to something a potential bike theif probably will not waste his/her time with.

If you are still really worried about theft, take it to the next level. Buy a can of flat black spray paint, masking tape and a file. Mask off everything but the frame and forks and paint it flat black, don't care to do all that great a job (just don't get paint on any of the moving parts). Peel off/file off the manufacturer and model names on all the components on your bike. Your bike is used, looks like **** and protected by a decent u-lock, so no thief would touch it with a 10' pole, on the other hand, all you care about is how it feels when you ride it.

Cheers,
Juba

andyman2 said:
Hey all,

I'm new here, so if I mess up the posting etiquette at all, forgive me.
No worries, check the search function for more information, this has been asked before, and will be again.

andyman2 said:
I'm heading over to Wal-Mart soon to buy an absolute bottom-of-the-line "bicycle" because I want something to ride back and forth to class that I won't miss terribly if it gets stolen.
Save your money.

andyman2 said:
On the other hand, I've been thinking about getting into trail riding for some time now and it's occurred to me that since I'll be laying out some money for a knobby-tired bike anyway it might make sense to get one that I could use to at least get my feet wet. Again, the problem is that I don't want to buy anything that I'd miss when/if it is inevitably stolen.
Not a Problem. Lots of starter bikes that are plenty strong enough.

andyman2 said:
So the question is, does a bike exist in the ~$100 range that won't instantly disintegrate when it has to do some work? Any advice would be appreciated. If you know something to certainly stay away from, I'd appreciate that too. If it matters, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs.
New?? No. You might be able to find a real basic Mtn bike for about 300 new. Plus the $50 mentioned above for the lock etc. etc. Juba gave some really good advice and information. being 6', your going to be looking for a 19-21 inch frame, personally I like my mtn bikes a little on the small side. More room to flex the knees during those emergency get-offs. If you cant find something that is going to work for you right away, dont force it. Also check the Local bike shops (LBS) usually somebody is selling something.

Good Luck

If you're strapped for cash, there is always the barter/trade method to get a decent bike. I managed to get a used Cannondale Super V1000 without laying out a dime- I traded a household appliance and a little labor for the bike. It was a few years old, so I've had to replace a few parts, but nothing too expensive.

You're a college student. Try tutoring, mowing lawns, fixing computer problems, teaching guitar, etc., whatever you can do that is not so easy for other people. Find the bike you want then start working a deal with the seller.

TD

Spend the amount you'd pay for a new department store bike on an old second-hand bike from a reputable manufacturer. Something like a 5-10 year old entry-ish level mountain bike.

Then you'll have something that uses standard (albeit antiquated) parts and will have some semblance of maintainability to it. And if it was good enough for basic trail riding 5-10 years ago, it'll still be up to the task today.

And if it gets stolen, hey, it didn't cost any more than a Walmart bike anyway..