Scrapping my Reynolds 520 frame for a Viner Competition

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
Hello out there....

I've been contemplating, for quite some time now, a swapping out of parts. I currently ride a Mercier Aquila equippped with Campagnolo Mirage derailleurs and Campy rear cassette, FSA Triple crank, Speedplay X3 pedals, and Alex Rims, along with Quando hubs and Serfas saddle. The brakes are unknown and most likely, irrelevant at this point. The frame is a Reynolds 520 Chromoly with a Reynolds Carbon Ouzo Comp fork. The entire bike weights in at just about 23 pounds total. In the meantime, I am in the process of replacing the steel seatpost and exchanging it for a carbon post and swapping out the Quando cheapy hubs for a set of Campy Veloce Hubs.

My dilemma is this...I am contemplating a switching out of my frame. The current version of my frame weighs in at about 4.65 pounds. I am looking at either a Viner Competition frame (steel alloy?) which weighs in at 3.09 pounds or a Casati alloy frame (steel??) made with Columbus (Brain) tubing. Someone suggested that these two frames are still made from steel and as such, I will not be necessarily improving anything, except for spending more money on an "Italian" frame as opposed to a frame made in Taiwan. What is the opinion out there? Are there any flaws in my thinking or in my judgement? Am I just throwing good money after something that really isn't all that good?

I won't buy until I feel confident that I've gotten enough good advice.

Thanks for the help.

RL

Firstly, I should let you know that Viner, and this really goes for all frame companies, have a 90kg (198lb) maximum weight limit on most of their aluminium frames (including the 'Competition'), and a 75kg limit on a couple of their really light frames.

Definitely keep your 520 as spare -- you can put crappy parts on it, and use it as a "shopping" bike. :)

Are you sure the other seat post is steel? It's most likely aluminum, and while some people claim that a long carbon post can be more comfortable, they only provide a minimum weight difference, and they are easy to damage if you frequently adjust your seat. But they do look great. :D So, you might wanna consider saving some money, and getting something like a cheap Ritchie alu post...I dunno, just a thought.

With the wheels, I'd suggest getting new spokes, even if your current wheels are only a couple of years old. You might also need different length spokes, because, even though the hubs look the same, they might have a slightly different diameter. You should notice a nice improvement with new hubs.

Hmmm....I've just seen the Competition in both a light steel and aluminum?!?!
Must be different models that are years apart.

Columbus Brain will be heavier than 3.1lbs -- I can almost guarantee it -- possibly even 4lbs.

Wow!! An Ouzo Comp on a 520 frame -- that's nice.

To answer your question, you should notice a HUGE difference in the ride quality of something like a Viner Competion compared to a 520 frame; 520 is really just an entry level steel, and as you've said, quite heavy. You definitely are paying a bit for the name, with an Italian frame, but the light Dedacciai steels are a big leap from Reynolds 520 (or 525).

I'll reiterate: you are not wasting money changing from a 520 steel frame to a "new generation" light steel -- they can't be compared. Although, as I said, Columbus Brain is not very light, so that might not be a big jump. I wouldn't spend good money on Columbus Brain; i think it's sort of been left behind by the Dedacciai steels and Columbus Foco and Ultrafoco.

I recently bought a 2004 steel Cervelo Superprodigy (58cm), which weighs 3.7 lbs, and teh ride quality is so far from a 520 frame that I couldn't put it into words. I think the frame sells for about $900 US, with a Columbus Muscle fork, Cervelo carbon post, and a Cane Creek head-set.

Jeeez, I've written a novel :D

Thanks for the FB. I am strongly leaning towards the Viner.

Fat Hack said:
Firstly, I should let you know that Viner, and this really goes for all frame companies, have a 90kg (198lb) maximum weight limit on most of their aluminium frames (including the 'Competition'), and a 75kg limit on a couple of their really light frames.

Definitely keep your 520 as spare -- you can put crappy parts on it, and use it as a "shopping" bike. :)

Are you sure the other seat post is steel? It's most likely aluminum, and while some people claim that a long carbon post can be more comfortable, they only provide a minimum weight difference, and they are easy to damage if you frequently adjust your seat. But they do look great. :D So, you might wanna consider saving some money, and getting something like a cheap Ritchie alu post...I dunno, just a thought.

With the wheels, I'd suggest getting new spokes, even if your current wheels are only a couple of years old. You might also need different length spokes, because, even though the hubs look the same, they might have a slightly different diameter. You should notice a nice improvement with new hubs.

Hmmm....I've just seen the Competition in both a light steel and aluminum?!?!
Must be different models that are years apart.

Columbus Brain will be heavier than 3.1lbs -- I can almost guarantee it -- possibly even 4lbs.

Wow!! An Ouzo Comp on a 520 frame -- that's nice.

To answer your question, you should notice a HUGE difference in the ride quality of something like a Viner Competion compared to a 520 frame; 520 is really just an entry level steel, and as you've said, quite heavy. You definitely are paying a bit for the name, with an Italian frame, but the light Dedacciai steels are a big leap from Reynolds 520 (or 525).

I'll reiterate: you are not wasting money changing from a 520 steel frame to a "new generation" light steel -- they can't be compared. Although, as I said, Columbus Brain is not very light, so that might not be a big jump. I wouldn't spend good money on Columbus Brain; i think it's sort of been left behind by the Dedacciai steels and Columbus Foco and Ultrafoco.

I recently bought a 2004 steel Cervelo Superprodigy (58cm), which weighs 3.7 lbs, and teh ride quality is so far from a 520 frame that I couldn't put it into words. I think the frame sells for about $900 US, with a Columbus Muscle fork, Cervelo carbon post, and a Cane Creek head-set.

Jeeez, I've written a novel :D